What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Youtube remove NRL videos

Tom Shines

First Grade
morri (cWo) said:
this is a joke. as a creator of one of the tribute vidoes (not going to name which one cause its still up) i feel people should be very angry at this decison.
Congrats on your video mate, that would have taken a lot of time.

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
Eat sh&t NRL and Telstra - I will NEVER use Bigpond - ever. I would rather go to a net cafe than use that bug-ridden, expensive, unreliable heap of steaming crud.

And I was going to do the right thing & buy myself a copy of the 25th anniversary State of Origin DVD shortly - but I do believe I will just dub a mate's VHS copy now. Stuff them.

What a fantastic business decision! Bravo Mr. Gallop, Mr. Trujilio & co...oh bravo! :clap:

fourplay

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21719638-5006066,00.html

Sometimes I don't think the NRL deserves to succeed.. fans uploading small clips is not going to hurt the game. What benefit did wiping every NRL video off youtube have ? Youtube provides free advertising internationally to millions and the NRL choose to ban this...

What benefit did the NRL gain by removing the 20 second clip of Awen Guttenbeils massive hit on Ned Catic ? If they want to grow the game internationally small clips like that on youtube is what gets people interested. When I posted that on U.S forums it would leave them wanting more with a good impression of the game.

The day the NRL removes the Luke Covell tribute video off youtube will be the day they officially lose all my support.

bartman

Immortal
Unfortunately our thinking about how we award "exclusive rights" has hardly ever taken development and expansion of the game into account.

But you're right, how do people who haven't seen our game get a chance to see it easily and freely and develop an interest in it (and with it a longer-term contribution to the usual channels of adding value to broadcast rights or ticket and merchandise revenue)?

When the NRL first awarded their online/web rights to Telstra Bigpond they originally were going to restrict their NRL video gallery just to Bigpond customers, using the footage as a product to enhance people into Bigpond plans and in doing so restricting footage to Australia. I had to write numerous emails to point out that such a move would be shooting themselves and the game in the foot, and thankfully to date they haven't got the know-how to put that plan into action or they have sensibly abandoned it.

This you tube thing is just the same mentality - treating the game as a product that exists only to earn other people profits, instead of as a sport where the participants and fans are valued as well. Modern life is rubbish...

instead of worring about you tube why the hell arent they telling chanel 9 vic too play nrl live down here in melbourne its pathetic that nrl is worring about you tube and not about trying too help the game itself

and btw its the fans that put these things up not you tube so the nrl is basically say screw the fans

coolumsharkie

Referee
I think 99% of people would agree with the above posts which can only mean that the NRL are way out of touch with it's own supporter base.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Their worst effort was when i took a crappy handheld video with my ordinary still camera of the Kiwis running onto the field at Mt Smart last year in the Tri Series and they had that removed. It had people yelling, it went out of focus every now and then, it was jerky and was shot from a mile away.

That is beyond protecting the broadcasters.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Another lame decision , Cant get the money off telstra so they want the $$ off someone else

Get rid of Gallop and sign up John O'Neil

kooriguy

Juniors
worst move by this nrl management to date, i have also shown mates in US that talk up nfl big hits and they have been in awe at ours, and have even gone along to support their local league team (new york knights i think) as a result, cant help but promote the game.

innsaneink

Referee
Victor Meldrew said:
Their worst effort was when i took a crappy handheld video with my ordinary still camera of the Kiwis running onto the field at Mt Smart last year in the Tri Series and they had that removed. It had people yelling, it went out of focus every now and then, it was jerky and was shot from a mile away.

That is beyond protecting the broadcasters.

Mmmm....much like my 15 second wobbly shot of Skandos kick at goal in his last game last year. That too didnt last long.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
joel caine number 1 fan said:
instead of worring about you tube why the hell arent they telling chanel 9 vic too play nrl live down here in melbourne its pathetic that nrl is worring about you tube and not about trying too help the game itself

and btw its the fans that put these things up not you tube so the nrl is basically say screw the fans

thats essentially it. the exclusive rigths for the radio's screwed up the league market with radio and they're doing the same with video footage. no one makes a profit from showing a 20sec clip which promotes the game.

the real problems are more with television coverage (how many games, what times they ahve to be shown) but the NRL are too gutless to handle the real problems so they attack the smaller issues and pretend to be doing something

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
innsaneink said:
Mmmm....much like my 15 second wobbly shot of Skandos kick at goal in his last game last year. That too didnt last long.

Its piss weak. It isn't taken from a broadcasters feed which you would imagine is the biggest problem with YouTube clips.

I'm sure Gilette would have loved the huge Gilette sign in the shot being banished from YouTube forever...

hrundi99

First Grade
Copyright infringement is copyright infringement.

The story also mentioned the AFL and EPL, and it would be commonplace for MLB, NFL and NBA, etc.

t-ba

Post Whore
I'd have no problem with this if they uploaded their own content on Youtube...But they're idiots who fail to understand the reach that the bloody website has.

I'll give them a hint-It's bigger than everything else that hosts NRL on video...

...We're so lucky the product is so good. we'd be completely farked otherwise.

isn't telstra withholding money from the nrl because fox sports are showing clips of nrl games?

why don't they fix that up first!

FunkyMonk

Juniors
douglasallen91 said:
isn't telstra withholding money from the nrl because fox sports are showing clips of nrl games?

why don't they fix that up first!

Telstra are the tightest company in Australia, i swear. Who else? Look at the bloody ridiculous prices they charge just for using a phone!

Latest posts