What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Propaganda only tells one side of the story..
images

Old Timer

Coach
Lafai has some skills however is quite slow but is infinitely better at all things centre compared to Aitken.
On that basis Lafai deserves to start the year in 1st grade but to get the best out of him you need a very fast and position savvy winger outside him and that isn't Pereira, who tries hard but is slow and limited.
If Lafai puts a step on anyone our side of halfway or in our 20m area for that matter and then offloads to Pereira he in almost all circumstances will be run down despite Lafai's good work.
If we are to pick a slow winger then put him on Aitken's side as he won't get the ball anyway.
If coach decides that Lomax gets the RC gig instead of Aitken then put the 2nd fastest winger in the club outside him as that winger will get some very good ball.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Lafai has some skills however is quite slow but is infinitely better at all things centre compared to Aitken.
On that basis Lafai deserves to start the year in 1st grade but to get the best out of him you need a very fast and position savvy winger outside him and that isn't Pereira, who tries hard but is slow and limited.
If Lafai puts a step on anyone our side of halfway or in our 20m area for that matter and then offloads to Pereira he in almost all circumstances will be run down despite Lafai's good work.
If we are to pick a slow winger then put him on Aitken's side as he won't get the ball anyway.
If coach decides that Lomax gets the RC gig instead of Aitken then put the 2nd fastest winger in the club outside him as that winger will get some very good ball.

OT
Like the idea make a lot a sense Pearson could be the man.
He is quick but unfortunately he has not had a run due to family problem and needs to prove he is ready for 1st grade. I think he is and he would do a good job

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
OT
He is quick but unfortunately he has not had a run due to family seeing all and needs to prove he is ready for 1st grade. I think he is and he would do a good job
Samy,
Would love to see what team you would pick for Rd 1 and some reasoning behind those selections.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Samy,
Would love to see what team you would pick for Rd 1 and some reasoning behind those selections.

OT I could imagine Waterboy’s really really preferred journeyman team for Rd 1 might’ve included:
1Nightingale
2Runciman
3Aitken (vc)
4Lafai
5Maranta
6McCrone(c)
7Nichols
FMD
Front row Allgood, Marketo & Latimore
Back row - arselic*ers over 30 (for team harmony) & who’ve played for at least 4 clubs

No bench required

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
OT I could imagine Waterboy’s really really preferred journeyman team for Rd 1 might’ve included:
1Nightingale
2Runciman
3Aitken (vc)
4Lafai
5Maranta
6McCrone(c)
7Nichols
FMD
Back row - arselic*ers over 30 (for team harmony) & who’ve played for at least 4 clubs

No bench required
Nightingale the journeyman?

Is this the same Nightingale that played 12 seasons for NRL, all for the one club?

possm

Coach
OT
He is quick but unfortunately he has not had a run due to family seeing all and needs to prove he is ready for 1st grade. I think he is and he would do a good job

Like Charity Shield games over the past few years, our players have been worked extremely hard fitness wise just prior to the game and so, are very lethargic during the game. In addition, work on combinations, skills and ball work will be conducted after the game resulting in better player performances for round 1.

We all know of Aitken's limitations, they have been on show for the past few seasons. Pereira puts in 115% so we know what his best is as far as speed and skills go. In the backline the backs we still need to tick or flick are:

• Widdop as a fullback
  • Dufty as a fullback
  • Pearson as a left winger
  • Lomax as right centre
  • Ravalawa as a right winger
I'm sure the fans and coaching staff will take a keen interest in the progress of Saab and Pearson who should be selected as our wingers in ISP for round 1.

I have no idea what should be done with Aitken.

Despite what Mary as said publicly, I'd like to see Robson selected at 14 in the hooker rotation. 2019 will be Robson's breakout season and demonstrate to all his skills and talent.

slippery5

Juniors
Fell over leading to a try, missed a soft one on one against Walker, dropped a sitter and made a meal of another, turned over cheap ball with dumb offloads.

Good player but raw and developing. May get a shot over the rep period in the centres but needs to focus on winning a wing spot over Pearson, Ravalawa and co.

To my eye, he was more imposing a year or two ago. Looks too lean for the centres at NRL level.
You couldn't see the difference in footwork & the confidence in the Matt Gidley pass ?( it wasn't forward) something that Aitken wouldn't even attempt.

Old Timer

Coach
1Nightingale
2Runciman
3Aitken (vc)
4Lafai
5Maranta
6McCrone(c)
7Nichols
FMD

No bench required
Boy we have had some talented players in our ranks at times.
Masoe would be an instant starter as well.

Dragonsamy

Bench
I am sure that Lomax will come on in leaps and bounds as the season progresses , he has just too much potential in him to become just another player who couldn’t make the grade .

Agree Gareth
They have been getting flogged at training but this next few training sessions and next week with more concentrate more on ball work. So let's hope the combinations will be lot better by first round.
That includes Lomax who is having his first full off-season of hard training and early-season hard training

Last edited:

nontime111

Juniors
I get nothing but a GOOD feeling about this season

Lafai looked amazing and was a gun to me he will be on fire

Lomax is a natural and all he needs IMO is to string a few games together in FG and hell be a GUN also

Ravi is strong and fast and should get a go hes too fast to leave out!

Pearson has WAY more potential than Periera who reached his ceiling, Pearsons fast also so get him in there

Widdop is a world class player and WILL be a star fullback for us just watch

Norman and Hunt will click into gear and soon be the best halves combo around

of course thats my backline for round 1 on.....pick em leave em there let em gel!

widdop
pearson
lomax
lafai
ravalawa
norman
hunt

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree Gareth
They have been getting flogged at training but this next few training sessions and next week with more concentrate more on ball work. So let's hope the combinations will be lot better by first round.
That includes Lomax who is having his first full off-season of hard training and early-season hard training

Good to know that Sammy , for his first full top grade training it would certainly take it out off him .

gitano

Juniors
You couldn't see the difference in footwork & the confidence in the Matt Gidley pass ?( it wasn't forward) something that Aitken wouldn't even attempt.
Looking at it through a very narrow lens there.

Gidley wouldn't have attempted that either. Match awareness, awareness of position on field, no room for the winger at all. The real skill of Gidley wasn't the flick pass, but everything else around it.

GC Dragon

Juniors
OT I agree with every word you said . Your critique of Lafai is spot on and without a genuine speedster outside of him his skills are somewhat wasted . Unfortunately Mary's " fear of failure " style of coaching won't allow him to do that . He would rather pair the slowest centre / wing combination in the NRL with the idea of minimising the damage .
Kids like Ravalawa , Lomax, Dufty and Pearson have far higher ceilings with a coach that has vision than persisting with players like Aitken who hasn't developed one bit since his first game in 2015 . And Pereira who does his best but offers very little at NRL level .

possm

Coach
I get nothing but a GOOD feeling about this season

Lafai looked amazing and was a gun to me he will be on fire

Lomax is a natural and all he needs IMO is to string a few games together in FG and hell be a GUN also

Ravi is strong and fast and should get a go hes too fast to leave out!

Pearson has WAY more potential than Periera who reached his ceiling, Pearsons fast also so get him in there

Widdop is a world class player and WILL be a star fullback for us just watch

Norman and Hunt will click into gear and soon be the best halves combo around

of course thats my backline for round 1 on.....pick em leave em there let em gel!

widdop
pearson
lomax
lafai
ravalawa
norman
hunt

I like this backline very much however, after Mary came out and spoke about his crazy ideas and the likelihood of him selecting Aitken over Lomax at right centre and Lomax on the right wing, it made me very concerned. Now Dufty comes out saying that Hunt will be leading the team around the park which is what I thought was the reason for signing Norman.

Only time will tell however, I hope that for once sense will prevail.

slippery5

Juniors
Looking at it through a very narrow lens there.

Gidley wouldn't have attempted that either. Match awareness, awareness of position on field, no room for the winger at all. The real skill of Gidley wasn't the flick pass, but everything else around it.
No, I'm looking at it through a wide angle lens, one that saw his performances while playing 80 min at right centre last year with only 1 or 2 games before playing finals footy.

One of the things I would look for when choosing a player for a rep team is,
1. What has he got that comes naturally that others don't.
Lomax is a natural athlete, he puts on footwork or a pass that Aitken just doesn't possess.
I want to be entertained, not bored with someone just charging into the defence, that works in U10's only.
I guarantee you Lomax will score or create 100 more tries than Aitken.
I don't care what Gidley would have attempted or not.

Latest posts