What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMNRL/USARL what if??

Evil Homer

Staff member
Why are they still doing this shit, seriously? It's like they are on a mission to become the worst sporting organization of all time, if they haven't already succeeded at that.

gyallop

Juniors
The USARL is a privately owned company.
Why would a start up need to make such a political statement if it was genuinely independent?
If they are starting up and joining the USARL good luck to them and great to see a new club starting but this launch statement is garbage and the owners come across as just what we don't need in footy more self important tossers!!!

byrner

Juniors
Why would a start up need to make such a political statement if it was genuinely independent?
If they are starting up and joining the USARL good luck to them and great to see a new club starting but this launch statement is garbage and the owners come across as just what we don't need in footy more self important tossers!!!

Where is this quote you are talking about?

Rampart66

Juniors
It's great to see a New York presence in the USARL. It should help the overall exposure to secure that market area.

The thing that I'd like to know at this point is what venues will the new teams be using. Proper venues may be the most important thing at this point to move the game forward and look credible in the United States. At the minimum, all teams should be playing in high school stadiums that can seat a few thousand. Hopefully, the days of playing in local parks, or open fields with goal posts made of PVC pipe that is duct taped together is a thing of the past. In the next few years some of these teams should be looking to play at some of the newer soccer stadiums being built.

IowaRL

Juniors
I would like to see licensing requirements like in super league and the championships. Saying you need seating for x number would be nice.

Steve Davy

Juniors
It's great to see a New York presence in the USARL. It should help the overall exposure to secure that market area.

The thing that I'd like to know at this point is what venues will the new teams be using. Proper venues may be the most important thing at this point to move the game forward and look credible in the United States. At the minimum, all teams should be playing in high school stadiums that can seat a few thousand. Hopefully, the days of playing in local parks, or open fields with goal posts made of PVC pipe that is duct taped together is a thing of the past. In the next few years some of these teams should be looking to play at some of the newer soccer stadiums being built.

It is not such a priority to me. I would rather have 300 engrossed and enjoying a profit making game in a park than 400 watching a distant game.

Rampart66

Juniors
It is not such a priority to me. I would rather have 300 engrossed and enjoying a profit making game in a park than 400 watching a distant game.

I guess my questions would be; How much revenue are you making on ticket sales by playing in a park? How much revenue are you generating from sponsorships by playing in a park?

Yes, it costs money to play in a better facility (although, I would shop around. Some high school stadiums are fairly cheap), but I think the revenue it opens up can exceed the costs involved.

Choo Choo

Juniors

Please provide your facts that show the USARL is a privately owned company.

Steve Davy

Juniors
I guess my questions would be; How much revenue are you making on ticket sales by playing in a park? How much revenue are you generating from sponsorships by playing in a park?

Yes, it costs money to play in a better facility (although, I would shop around. Some high school stadiums are fairly cheap), but I think the revenue it opens up can exceed the costs involved.

This is the matter. The most profitable way varies.

If you can bring in several hundred people, you can charge (sponsorships) caterers to sell food and drink to them. You can also ensure the food and drink is high standard; craft ale and artisan cooking and all very middle class. A top class sounds system enusres it feels like an event. This drags in more sponsors and the posh feel of the catering means it does not matter that it is in a park.

However, if we go to a stadium (we will not have american football or rugby goalposts in many places), we have to pay them to bring a crowd. The crowd is smaller and the catering (which we get no profit from is crap).

If you can combine the best of the both (as you often can in the USA), that is perfect.

Rampart66

Juniors
This is the matter. The most profitable way varies.

If you can bring in several hundred people, you can charge (sponsorships) caterers to sell food and drink to them. You can also ensure the food and drink is high standard; craft ale and artisan cooking and all very middle class. A top class sounds system enusres it feels like an event. This drags in more sponsors and the posh feel of the catering means it does not matter that it is in a park.

However, if we go to a stadium (we will not have american football or rugby goalposts in many places), we have to pay them to bring a crowd. The crowd is smaller and the catering (which we get no profit from is crap).

If you can combine the best of the both (as you often can in the USA), that is perfect.

Can't argue with that. It seems that your games have a festival-like atmosphere; and if you're able to get the sponsors from this and manage to turn a profit, then I can't fault your decision making. I know that alcohol is always one of the deciding factors when choosing a venue and high school fields are dry in that respect.

Choo Choo

Juniors
The USARL website.

You must be a lawyer because now you're just playing with semantics. No one private individual owns the USARL; all participant clubs have a stake in the USARL and a say in how it is run. That was paramount when we formed the league. It is a democratically run organization.

gyallop

Juniors
You must be a lawyer because now you're just playing with semantics. No one private individual owns the USARL; all participant clubs have a stake in the USARL and a say in how it is run. That was paramount when we formed the league. It is a democratically run organization.

I am not playing with anything just saying that your website says you are an LLC.

Fatwing15

Juniors
DWI, I've stepped down as coach for the Slayers and am only running import recruitment and few other minor jobs for the club. I've been involved with the AMNRL/USARL negotiations and am helping the board with other projects that continue to develop.

Can anyone shed some light on these negotiations? Are there still negotiations ongoing? We've come expect a drop off in info from the AMNRL. However, I would expect a little more transparency from the USARL in regards to their decision making process. Maybe an explanation of how a complete merger is less appealing than open invitation for established clubs to apply individually? Have the USARL received any applications? I am hoping that all AMNRL teams come into the USARL as a group, instead of straggling through the application process one at a time.

I thought it would be easier to have all the details from each team at one time to compare side by side to decide who needs to improve what in order to operate a proper team and competition.

deal.with.it

Juniors
But if all amnrl teams dont have the same vision as the usarl and its clubs, how can you justify simply bringing all amnrl teams over to the usarl as one?
One would think the usarl wouldnt want teams that dont have the same ambitions of semi professionalism. They'd rather just start up new teams

PacificCoastRL

Juniors

I assume you mean the part about the AMNRL struggling this year. Perhaps the Brooklyn Kings explored both the AMNRL and the USARL and have ventured an opinion as to why they chose one over the other.

joshreading

Staff member
If one is objectively looking at both organisations it would be difficult to come to any other conclusion than the USARL being the stronger competition. There is nothing political about it. It is simply an observation. There are certainly strong teams in the AMNRL but there are weaker teams as well than the USARL. Baltimore was clearly the weakest team in the USARL yet still filled its fixtures.

One of the concerns I imagine for some of the amnrl teams is the all or nothing reality of the top tier of the USARL. Weaker teams that are somewhat more social (and might forfeit) would likely have no avenue to continue at times (unless they create more minor leagues)

Any other suggestions of new / or returning teams? Eg. New Haven Warriors

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Speaking only for myself....

Lets just say I was a member of an organization, and was asked to vote on a decision to join, in what was described as a merger, with another organization who was in a similar business or industry.
Here are some things I would need to know to decide what is best for the future.

Firstly, I know what the organization I am apart of offers. It is strong, organized, has a solid brand, operates as it states it will, is transparent, is democratic, allows for equality through membership. It has a clearly defined set of goals, and an open pathway and mission statement on how to reach its goals. All of which are determined by the membership as a whole. They have a list of things that they set out to achieve, and continue to takes steps to get all action items checked off the list. They also add new items as needed to ensure that they are adapting to the needs of business and the industry. So I know what the ASSETS are, of the organization I am apart of, and I know what those assets mean, and how they are important to my future as a member.

The organization on the other side of table………
As a member, I would like to know everything about them before I decided to agree to, what essentially would give them control of 50% of the direction we were headed in.
- Who are they and what is the name of their organization? Are they officially registered, have insurance, a constitution and other standard documents between the partners, officers and members?.
- What is their brand like? Do they have a strong brand, website, solid reach for the perception of the organization?
- What is the marketing like? Do they have consistant and cohesive ideas for the modern business world, like a good online presence, facebook, twitter, etc. Are their members combined in the effort to promote the entire brand for the greater good of all individual members.
- What are the operations levels like? Do they operate in good facilities?
- How many customers, supporters, etc, do they have?
- Do they have a mission statement, set of guidelines, and other "visions" for the future, which can be considered to see if they are similar to ours?
- Is their membership working in harmony and are their members committed to develop and grow the business in a progressive way?
- What is their leadership structure like? How did their leaders rise to power? Do their leaders have total support from all their current members? What are the democratic processes in place that allow people to speak on behalf of the entire organization?
- Are there any silent partners in the organization who are not visible? Do they OWN everything they claim too?
- What is their track record of achieving the items in their mission statement in the past?
In essence what are their assets? Do they have any liabilities? Any debts? Are there any past partnerships that may affect them in the future? Is there a clear and VERIFIABLE system in place to show that the merger is best for both parties?

Sometimes after laying all the ASSETS on the table, and asking the membership of the organizations to weigh all the pros and cons, some members may decide to consider it more an "acquisition” rather than a merger. It is in no way a political move, it is simply a business move. One organization may have verified all its assets and have a track record of continued progress and success, and its members don’t want to break up the organization, if not everything from the other organization looks attractive. They may be very happy with their current progress and 100% believe that the business model they have used on the past has worked very well.
But they do want everyone, in both organizations, to be apart of greater success in the industry they are in. So they want to invite the members of the other organization to join under the banner of success and move forward as a larger more combined force.

One organization gets more members and more locations to do business.
The members of the other organization get strong progressive leadership, which provides them with a pathway to democratically rise into management positions, using the same pathway that is open to all current members. “Equity through participation” and “Equality for all members through Democracy”.

If this was a real business meeting, I think the natural thing that would occur is that the more structured organization would be looking to acquire the other one in an effort to unify the members of both groups, and allow the power of membership progress everyone as a whole.

Of course it is just a hypothetical scenario, but it certainly would be one that was made solely for the greater good of the BUSINESS operations, and not one that was worried about the politics. It is simply a consideration of the ASSETS of each, and the future management direction of how to utilize those assets.
Of course, as with all business meetings, it takes the members of both parties to be able to have a common view of what the assets are, and what the best way to manage them are.

Last edited:

spinnerhowland

Juniors
As expected, even hypothectical news travels at a gyalloping pace.

Though I will say that these are the questions I would ask if I was sitting at the table during negotiations.

Speaking only for myself....

Lets just say I was a member of an organization, and was asked to vote on a decision to join, in what was described as a merger, with another organization who was in a similar business or industry.
Here are some things I would need to know to decide what is best for the future.

Firstly, I know what the organization I am apart of offers. It is strong, organized, has a solid brand, operates as it states it will, is transparent, is democratic, allows for equality through membership. It has a clearly defined set of goals, and an open pathway and mission statement on how to reach its goals. All of which are determined by the membership as a whole. They have a list of things that they set out to achieve, and continue to takes steps to get all action items checked off the list. They also add new items as needed to ensure that they are adapting to the needs of business and the industry. So I know what the ASSETS are, of the organization I am apart of, and I know what those assets mean, and how they are important to my future as a member.

The organization on the other side of table???
As a member, I would like to know everything about them before I decided to agree to, what essentially would give them control of 50% of the direction we were headed in.
- Who are they and what is the name of their organization? Are they officially registered, have insurance, a constitution and other standard documents between the partners, officers and members?.
- What is their brand like? Do they have a strong brand, website, solid reach for the perception of the organization?
- What is the marketing like? Do they have consistant and cohesive ideas for the modern business world, like a good online presence, facebook, twitter, etc. Are their members combined in the effort to promote the entire brand for the greater good of all individual members.
- What are the operations levels like? Do they operate in good facilities?
- How many customers, supporters, etc, do they have?
- Do they have a mission statement, set of guidelines, and other "visions" for the future, which can be considered to see if they are similar to ours?
- Is their membership working in harmony and are their members committed to develop and grow the business in a progressive way?
- What is their leadership structure like? How did their leaders rise to power? Do their leaders have total support from all their current members? What are the democratic processes in place that allow people to speak on behalf of the entire organization?
- Are there any silent partners in the organization who are not visible? Do they OWN everything they claim too?
- What is their track record of achieving the items in their mission statement in the past?
In essence what are their assets? Do they have any liabilities? Any debts? Are there any past partnerships that may affect them in the future? Is there a clear and VERIFIABLE system in place to show that the merger is best for both parties?

Sometimes after laying all the ASSETS on the table, and asking the membership of the organizations to weigh all the pros and cons, some members may decide to consider it more an "acquisition? rather than a merger. It is in no way a political move, it is simply a business move. One organization may have verified all its assets and have a track record of continued progress and success, and its members don?t want to break up the organization, if not everything from the other organization looks attractive. They may be very happy with their current progress and 100% believe that the business model they have used on the past has worked very well.
But they do want everyone, in both organizations, to be apart of greater success in the industry they are in. So they want to invite the members of the other organization to join under the banner of success and move forward as a larger more combined force.

One organization gets more members and more locations to do business.
The members of the other organization get strong progressive leadership, which provides them with a pathway to democratically rise into management positions, using the same pathway that is open to all current members. ?Equity through participation? and ?Equality for all members through Democracy?.

If this was a real business meeting, I think the natural thing that would occur is that the more structured organization would be looking to acquire the other one in an effort to unify the members of both groups, and allow the power of membership progress everyone as a whole.

Of course it is just a hypothetical scenario, but it certainly would be one that was made solely for the greater good of the BUSINESS operations, and not one that was worried about the politics. It is simply a consideration of the ASSETS of each, and the future management direction of how to utilize those assets.
Of course, as with all business meetings, it takes the members of both parties to be able to have a common view of what the assets are, and what the best way to manage them are.