What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Western Force- Pirates?

RoosTah

Juniors
If it's such a huge vacuum then why was force cut.

Force had, as you put it, all the sponsors, advert and talent pool... and they're done. Tiny market... doesn't stack up financially. No big crowds either, no huge fan base protesting in the streets.

Perth is just another gold coast... aids for pro sport.
False equivalency.

All sports fail in the GC - NRL, AFL, soccer, they all do shit there. You just can't say that for Perth; their AFL sides and soccer do well, and the Force were going ok by Union standards, but that game is in the crapper across the board in Australia - heck heartlands like NSW are doing even worse than outposts like Perth!

What's more, NRL teams have been taking games there for a few years and they've had stronger crowds than union, so the time looks pretty ripe.

Diesel

Referee
I doubt anyone from the NRL will be making a comment this weekend. I hope it's because they're planning to strike but these knuckleheads probably don't know the difference between Perth and Penrith, there both out west somewhere

If this isn't the perfect time to grab an entire fan base well then there never will be

Where do you know Onion fans to jump to League, or vice versa?

Please tell me where this happens?

What are you talking about if I've misunderstood.

I lived in that sandpit for 10 years.

There are League fans, AwFL fans and Onion fans.

I want a team in Perth for many reasons.

Force folding doesn't mean RL will pick up their fans.

RoosTah

Juniors

Ive lived there too, and whilst they won't pick them all up, they'll definitely pick up some. Just like Bears fans that went over to the Tahs and Swans, there'll be a lot of Force fans that would support "the enemy" purely out of spite.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
the WA gov and public know the nrl are trying to get a foot hold in the west. The Nrl should be starting community initiatives and school development initiatives to promote rugby league. Not go cap in hand and say,"now rugby is leaving we'll take there spot". The Nrl should be consulting WA stakeholders like the gov/twiggy about these initiatives and hope that the burn that they have from rugby is deep enough for them to offer incentives above what they have been offering the Nrl.

Yes the exit of force opens a massive whole for the nrl to fill but I don't think the nrl should be instigating the "talk". Aru have dropped the ball and Force due to commercial/financial reasons. Nrl should take note of this and be wary.

First and foremost the Nrl still needs to stick to there expansion team criteria but The "not enough players" issue is becoming less and less. My pick is Wa pirates/reds in 2020.

Ive lived there too, and whilst they won't pick them all up, they'll definitely pick up some. Just like Bears fans that went over to the Tahs and Swans, there'll be a lot of Force fans that would support "the enemy" purely out of spite.

That's cool, but let's not bank on RU fans coming to watch league.

I think we both may be preaching to the choir anyway.

I do know of sports fans that are sick of being force-fed (no pun) Eagles/Dickers shit that would welcome good, entertaining football.

I also know enough of those insular merkins that they would not warm to a "hand me down" Bears, Sharks (snarf:slight_smile:) or the like.

The Western Reds would work. Whatever brand, those WA drones would eat up any victory served to em. If the NRL want to manipulate it like they have for the Storm, or like AwFL has for the GWS Giants (lol) they could, if they had some nuts. Which they don't. Why don't they have those nuts? Ask that shriverly merkin of a human, Rupert.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I've been surprised how many Force jumpers you see at ntl games here. Most of the talented kids play union and league up to under 16 and we have the first ever joint league/union jnr club start up last year in Kwinana. I wouldn't be so sure, the anger towards ARU is massive and may see some move over.

King hit

Coach
When we chopped the Reds it was hands down one of the worst decisions ever but at least there was some kind of excuse. It kind of amazes me they allowed the geniused and unsustainable expansion of the code in the first place and then didn't fight tooth and nail to keep their franchises. The Saffer ones are going off to greener pastures and will soon be followed by the rest so they will have created all this ill will out West for a few years of a TV deal before this whole house of cards comes tumbling down.

This is just hilariously stupid from the ARU. They've got an actual nursery going on over there whilst the last Onion player of any note from Victoria was probably Weary Dunlop.

I actually just googled this and apparently there have been 30 Wallabies that came through the Victorian Rugby system and some of them have been quite recent. Digby Ioane, Christian Lealiifano, Llyod Johansen and Ewen McKenzie are pretty notable players and came through the Victorian Rugby system.

Clifferd

Coach

They'll just want something to support. They'll go to a couple games, they'll think "hey this isn't so bad after all" and it'll catch on. It's not like league is slower/more boring than yawnion anyway

My dad never shown an interest in NBL but once he started to get free tickets to hawks game (gong local obviously) he's now pretty hooked. This is someone who never used to give a shit about basketball ever

(Still a diehard RL fan aswell)

Greenstar5

Juniors
With the Force being axed the NRL have a little sneaky window here to win some fans over.

Come up with a 5 year RL WA plan.

If Perth are going to have a team, you are probably not going to get a better chance. So announce the Perth Team will join the comp in 3, 4, 5 years.

In the mean time, increase games per season to 5 at NIB stadium. Start trying different time slots, (times in AEST) Friday 930pm, Sat 930pm, Sun 6pm, Sun 8pm. See what works, see what doesn't.

Really look into this double header at Perth Stadium next year.
Have the nines in Perth in a couple of years.
Advertise the hell out of the Perth RLWC games to get a full house.
Keep Improving media coverage of the game in WA.
When the teams play in Perth, really get invovled with the community. Go out the remote locations during pre season.

Chook Norris

First Grade
You would have to be so so disappointed if the NRL didn't pounce upon this opportunity as soon as possible. There has to be a plan to get a team there within the next three to four years. Announcing it within the next year would be ideal

Perth Red

Post Whore
Won't be disappointed at all, the nrl is run by merkins with a self confessed CEO who states he is no visionary. I'll be staggered if they even register this opportunity, let alone do anything about it.

RoosTah

Juniors
Won't be disappointed at all, the nrl is run by merkins with a self confessed CEO who states he is no visionary. I'll be staggered if they even register this opportunity, let alone do anything about it.
I suspect you're right, but hope to god you're wrong

Delboy

First Grade
So, we need a CEO to make a decision on the game that doesn't directly involve the favoured few, not going to happen

He hasn't come out and state that there will no favours given to those that exceed the cap for 2018, not so strange I guess when that involves the Dogs and Broncos. Glad we don't have to hold our breath for Greenberg to make a sensible decision