What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs. North Queensland Cowboys @Townsville

Iamback

Coach
Our kick chase pressure resulted in points. That is how we play - pressure teams into making mistakes. Our attack was clunky, Luai needs to take on the line instead of always spreading it to May, he would have scored if he went himself on at least 1 Occassion.

To be fair we haven't had our strongest 17 on the park either. Though we are 1/3rd through the season and there is a trend we are seeing.

I expect we will improve but how much is the question

Iamback

Coach
We aren’t the same team. Our pack looks tired and isn’t bending the line. Fish and Leota have been underwhelming. Smith is an honest toiler but would struggle to make the 17 in a lot of other sides. Henry is still maturing into first grade. Garner tries hard but he isn’t damaging. Sorro back is a big gain. The impact forward off the bench is missing at the moment. At full strength I think we need Garner and Geyer on the bench with Smith and Henry. Unless we are going to use Laurie he should go to 18.

I think Garner starting with Sorro off the bench is better mix because Garner only is a good line runner.

I don't think there is a rush but I want to see how we look with a fit pack.

Also the roles they play. If Sorro is playing middle and edge then we can get rid of Henry.

Run say Sommerton in the 14. Sorro and Kenny to handle the middle minutes.

That allows Sommerton's speed around the ruck, That with say May/Alamoti gives the side some power and speed off the bench.

The downside is if you lose a middle to HIA you struggle but I think we leave it to post Origin.

We may see guys like Mav take a huge step as they play more.

It is good to be sitting 3rd while working through stuff

soc123_au

Staff member
I disagree. He was great last year until his pec injury. Ever since he has been suspect defensively. Tonight he was rushing out ahead far too much. Panthers defense is built on moving up as a line together. Some of his cover work has also been substandard and he is also getting bumped off or fended more than he used to.

I think it is a combination of injury, lack of confidence and opposition players working him out a little resulting in muddled decision making and technique. I wouldn't dream of dropping him, but he has to pull the finger out.

Nathan also didn't help tonight. Easily the best defensive halfback in the game but got caught out numerous times. It was apparent to me that he was lacking fitness due to his lay off. He wasn't happy with his performance which was good to see.

One Last point I will make in regards to the too and fro about this game here - Cowboys also lost their centre who is in good form...and we dished out that performance, which honestly was diabolical in the 2nd half. Glad to hang on and get the win though.
This is where I'm at on Tago, since the pec he has been a worry in defence. In attack he has looked good at times and a non event at others, which is pretty normal for a center. I wouldn't personally be dropping him, but I'm not surprised others think it's a good idea. A few weeks in Cup might be whats needed. I remember Bellamy dropping Slater back to the Bears for a few weeks back in the day, didn't hurt him long term, didn't hurt Dyl back in 2019 either.

Happy with the win though, would have preferred less game management in the 2nd half from Badger. Was a shame really as the first half she was great. The away team up 24-4 after a weekend of blowouts incl 2 50's was never going to fly. We didn't help ourselves either with the errors.

Hooked

Juniors
Not to be overlooked. Is the loss of Crichton. From a defensive viewpoint.
Not only was he a great defensive centre. It was his communication with the players outside of him. Made, whatever side he was on, defensively solid.
Sorrenson and Cleary’s absence hasn't helped either.

betcats

Referee
NAS sucks.

We defended well in the first half, repelled multiple sets only gave up a silly try from that dropout.

I think our increased points comes down to us making errors and forward pack dealing with players out every week. Fish and Moses barely played together and haven’t been at their best. Sorro barely played. Martin been there but below his best. Took as a whole to get going last year.

hindy111

Post Whore
I don't see much in Maverick tbh. He looks bit slow and not much leg speed. Is he actually rated at the club or is it they are waiting on others to develop?
I still think to get the 4 peat the club need an impact forward off the bench. I would be trying to lure TPJ to the club or have talks with JNR Paulo who the Eels would chip in for.

betcats

Referee
Did anyone else find that our short drop out attempts were pretty ordinary.
The first one led directly to their first try and the second was a major reason the pressure stayed on us and they eventually scored.

What's wrong with just booting it long and making the first tackle 30 to 40 out?

We ain't real good at it yet...

Yes we aren’t great kicking and we don’t have much height or aerial threat take them. Punt it downfield and defend hard

I don't see much in Maverick tbh. He looks bit slow and not much leg speed. Is he actually rated at the club or is it they are waiting on others to develop?
I still think to get the 4 peat the club need an impact forward off the bench. I would be trying to lure TPJ to the club or have talks with JNR Paulo who the Eels would chip in for.
Some are first grade ready at 21, some take a little longer.

We at Penrith are probably developing Mav to the right level we need, but that's when Parra steps in and opens the cheque book (if that's still a thing) and takes another Penrith junior because it's easier than creating your own.

And please, stop offering Junior Paulo as a solution to NO problem at Penrith because you Parra fans want an over paid, over weight, and over the hill player gone.

TPJ, why don't Parra get him. lmao.

hindy111

Post Whore
Some are first grade ready at 21, some take a little longer.

We at Penrith are probably developing Mav to the right level we need, but that's when Parra steps in and opens the cheque book (if that's still a thing) and takes another Penrith junior because it's easier than creating your own.

And please, stop offering Junior Paulo as a solution to NO problem at Penrith because you Parra fans want an over paid, over weight, and over the hill player gone.

TPJ, why don't Parra get him. lmao.

I'm giving an honest opinion. I don't think you can take down a fully fit Broncos outfit with your current side. Just my opinion.
I think you need some impact off the bench. A bit of oomph. Jnr at 550- 600k would be fine. TPJ also at similar. They both give you some x factor and punch off the bench.
If I was Ivan I'd be looking at something if there is a bit of cash spare. It doesn't have to be either of them but someone of similar style.

I'm giving an honest opinion. I don't think you can take down a fully fit Broncos outfit with your current side. Just my opinion.
I think you need some impact off the bench. A bit of oomph. Jnr at 550- 600k would be fine. TPJ also at similar. They both give you some x factor and punch off the bench.
If I was Ivan I'd be looking at something if there is a bit of cash spare. It doesn't have to be either of them but someone of similar style.
Your point of view, BUT, you ain't Ivan...

murraymob

Coach
I
have heard a very reliable rumour Brad Arthur approached mav about going to parra MAV responded I am may be green but I am not desperate any truth Hindy to this

Iamback

Coach

Not just them. We lost to Storm and Manly we are probably sitting 4th or 5th best side right now.

Hopefully someone takes their chance over the Origin period to force a bench reshuffle

Chins get the wins

First Grade
The biggest issue in our side is Tago's defence. He has the whole right hand side compromised.The next biggest issue is playing with 16 most weeks.

Both these things can be fixed on Tuesday with simple team selections

Pomoz

Bench
There is no point playing your best football now. Accumulate points and build towards the Finals. This year has been bad for injury and it has had an impact.

Cleary out for a month and then comes back in extreme heat conditions in Townsville. Looks rusty, struggles for fitness, who'd a thought?

Martin carried a shoulder injury for at least three weeks. Against Manly his arm dangled by his side as he struggled through the game. Its a testament to his toughness he even played. He looked better last night, hopefully its getting better.

Moses has carried a bad shoulder and looked a shadow of himself. Fish was struggling with a bereavement and looked drained of energy. Essentially it has meant our world class front row has not yet been fit and on the field at the same time. Henry has played 10 games. He is a rookie in the toughest position on the field.

Sorrensen has played 3 games. When he comes back fit it will be like getting a new player.

I am not trying to make excuses, but context is everything. Forwards win games, the backs decide by how much and our forward pack has started the season in bits. That pack belted the Eels and destroyed the Broncos in the first half of the 23 GF. Get them back fit and in form and things will look different. On the plus side, Mav and Henry are getting valuable experience and Smith is showing signs he is going to be a good first grader.

As for the backs, it has been a mixed bag.

Dyl has probably proved he is the best fullback in NSW. I hope he doesn't get picked for SOO. A brilliant start to the year and he has added another level of creativity to his game. He couldn't do any more and right now, he is the best player in our team.

May has come back from a year off. To me he has proven that he is not inhibited mentally by the ACL injury, he plays tough. But he is a rookie centre and still a rookie player. He will only get better.

Tago has been brilliant one minute and average the next. Alomotti now adds competition to the centres and hopefully it will spur May and Tago to greater heights.

As for our wingers, they have done their jobs and they aren't why we have struggled. Turuva has improved this year and its a shame he is leaving, although I understand we can't keep them all.

In the halves, I would give them a pass. No Cleary for a month and Luai has come back from major shoulder surgery. You can see he is slowly getting back to his best. All things considered, they have kept the team on track. Last night Cleary's ability to ice his kicks when he is struggling for fitness, won us the game.

I would give us a "B", needs improvement, for our season so far. Injuries will decide whether we can win number four and so far, injuries have made our start to the year a bit stop, start. You can see the bones of a Premiership team is still there and just when you think they will emerge, we stumble and look average. We keep winning though........

Latest posts