What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs. North Queensland Cowboys @Townsville

Panther Pete

Juniors
Interesting listening to Joey Johns on the Footy Show talking about the game. He said the Cowboys kept getting 6 agains that he didn’t what they were for and later said the Cowboys kept getting decisions go their way in the second half which kept them in the game. I tend to not whinge about refs anymore but it was interesting to get his take on the ref considering he doesnt support us.

WestyLife

First Grade
Interesting listening to Joey Johns on the Footy Show talking about the game. He said the Cowboys kept getting 6 agains that he didn’t what they were for and later said the Cowboys kept getting decisions go their way in the second half which kept them in the game. I tend to not whinge about refs anymore but it was interesting to get his take on the ref considering he doesnt support us.

Other neutrals have said similar.

Having not lived in Australia for a number of years but being vaguely aware of the prevailing social norms, I am guessing that its a dangerous road to tread to suggest a female ref had a bag game..

betcats

Referee

After our try in the second half a lot of things went their way, 50 50 calls. Dylan’s knock on we couldn’t challenge, fair chance of penalty if we could. Whether the calls were right or wrong the ref had them camped on our try line with 6 agains and penalties for 20 straight minutes.

Anyway I hate burning a challenge early. Better to leave it unused than take a risky one early in the game. As soon you lose it early gives the opponent license to push it playing at the ball in tackles knowing we can’t challenge as well the million other bad calls that can happen in a game. There was at least two calls in that 2nd half that we would and could’ve challenged if we had it available. Don’t risk early or at all in the first half on a strip or knock call in tackle such as mays one, they are to subjective in their ruling of loose carries.

Girds89

Bench
Other neutrals have said similar.

All the commentary in game and post game has been how we are just a defensive juggernaut and that our 2md half defence was incredible.

Just watching sunday ticket on fox and coops, braith and corey were all praising how special our defence was and is.

All doom and gloom by some on here though.

Yes theres a few minor issues there. New centre on left side. Right side has been reshuffled with nath out last few weeks.

Our defence isnt at its elite normal self but to suggest we drop blokes and rejig half the backline and move players to 2nd row is nuts.

I have no doubt ivan will have the boys working hard this week in defence in prep for souths who are normally very dangerous on there left with cody.

We will fix up the few little issues.

Iamback

Coach
All the commentary in game and post game has been how we are just a defensive juggernaut and that our 2md half defence was incredible.

Just watching sunday ticket on fox and coops, braith and corey were all praising how special our defence was and is.

Yes theres a few minor issues there. New centre on left side. Right side has been reshuffled with nath out last few weeks.

Our defence isnt at its elite normal self but to suggest we drop blokes and rejig half the backline and move players to 2nd row is nuts.

I have no doubt ivan will have the boys working hard this week in defence in prep for souths who are normally very dangerous on there left with cody.

Moving a centre has more to do with the lack of quality in the backrowers than anything.

WestyLife

First Grade

I don't think we drop guys yet. Need some consistency in the roster more than anything.

MugaB

Coach
I don't see much in Maverick tbh. He looks bit slow and not much leg speed. Is he actually rated at the club or is it they are waiting on others to develop?
I still think to get the 4 peat the club need an impact forward off the bench. I would be trying to lure TPJ to the club or have talks with JNR Paulo who the Eels would chip in for.
Paulo again Please hindy JUST STFU about him, he is way over the hill

WestyLife

First Grade
So assuming Ivan isn't lying and Turuva is back.
You'd have Alamoti in NSW Cup with a 14 not getting game time and Mav offering little at this stage?

I thought we were talking tago specifically. Manage him over time. First try and work on his defence making reads technique etc. Then go to a week off with Alomoti replacing him and so on.

The bench I have no f**king idea looks like mav is being slowly developed he'll be back in reserve grade soon enough he isn't top 17.

The 14 is insurance. It'll always be two props a second rower and a random 14 that ivan wants for ivan reasons and they likely won't play much no matter who you pick.

Iamback

Coach
I thought we were talking tago specifically. Manage him over time. First try and work on his defence making reads technique etc. Then go to a week off with Alomoti replacing him and so on.

The bench I have no f**king idea looks like mav is being slowly developed he'll be back in reserve grade soon enough he isn't top 17.

The 14 is insurance. It'll always be two props a second rower and a random 14 that ivan wants for ivan reasons and they likely won't play much no matter who you pick.

Tago is coming up because he has played backrow off the bench. He atleast has shown something with the ball at stages.

May is the one for me that could be handy in that 25min role off the bench.

In turn allows the option to then carry a hooker who might offer something late in games.

I agree we shouldn't over react yet but we have NSW Cup undefeated.

May for example yet to score a try or have a try assist in a new position coming off a major injury

The Realist

Juniors
Did anyone else find that our short drop out attempts were pretty ordinary.
The first one led directly to their first try and the second was a major reason the pressure stayed on us and they eventually scored.

What's wrong with just booting it long and making the first tackle 30 to 40 out?

We ain't real good at it yet...

That was a significant part of my criticism of Cleary. Just bad plays with poor execution at the wrong time.

That first one also led to a 15-20 minute period were we were defending constantly. Even though we ended up being up 18-4 at H/T, it took a chunk out of the gas tank and undoubtably impacted us in the 2nd half.

The Realist

Juniors
Having not lived in Australia for a number of years but being vaguely aware of the prevailing social norms, I am guessing that its a dangerous road to tread to suggest a female ref had a bag game..

No Lie detected. She was actually very good in the 1st half. Didn't miss much, communicated to the players very well and clearly. My Wife asked me how she was going, and I gave her praise.

Then the 2nd half happened. Whilst I don;t think she was as bad as many are saying, it is hard to argue against the opinion(s) that she (and the bunker!) massaged one team and turned a bit of a blind eye to the other.

WestyLife

First Grade
Tago is coming up because he has played backrow off the bench. He atleast has shown something with the ball at stages.

In turn allows the option to then carry a hooker who might offer something late in games.

May for example yet to score a try or have a try assist in a new position coming off a major injury

I don't know the solution to the 14 but I don't mind Laurie there since he offers good cover for key positions we've seen time and again a single injury kills teams and the rest of the rotation works fine.

maple_69

Bench
One thing I find interesting in the context of our sloppiness is the apparent license to spread early and push the pass a bit more on the edges rather than just blowing up through the middle. I’d say we’re playing a bit more football this year but it might be leading to a less controlled game and a lot more errors. Not sure you walk away from that though as we do need to evolve.

We also looked pretty disinterested when scoring tries last night. Turuva is one of the last hype guys in the side and without him the most we see is a couple high fives. It sounds minor but that wired mentality has been a big part of our game. I worry about next year without both he and Luai but really hope he’s not sidelined this year.

murraymob

Coach
Our defence problems are fixed by fixing our ball controll and discipline .Plain and simple we give away far to many 6 agains and then have to tackle more than what we should be
Hopefully someone from Penrith management calls a meeting with the refs boss and goes over video on why and how we are getting hammered and how we can fix it.Also video of who we play pointing out them doing the same
Our club at time is to nice with the nrl