What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SIGN THOMPSON LONG TERM

Frank Facer

First Grade
I love Thommo, i've always thought he should at least have the VC under his belt.

However, Host is coming through very nicely. That game Host played on the left edge when Thommo was out injured was a classy game for the kid, he really showcased his ability.

There's also another bloke called Angus Crichton coming off contract at the same time as Thommo. For me Crichton has far more upside than signing Thompson long term. Younger, stronger, faster, more skilful and the world at his feet. If we targeted him with a long term contract I think we might have a chance of picking him up. The things I would do to sign him.... As i've made obvious in other threads.
I would be wrapped if we signed Crichton, but I think our chances are extremely slim. I have already read that Easts have been sniffing around Crichton and that Souths are working quickly to sign him up long term. He looks that good that we should throw our hat in the ring for his signature.

I think Crichton can become a regular origin player in the next few years.

I think Frizzell and Host can form a really good pair of edge backrowers for us over the next few years.

denis preston

First Grade
Big year for host next year. Needs that 10 to 20% improvement and at his young age one would expect that.He has a big body sure but he is a edge player and runs great lines. Will just about benefit the most from Hunts passes. Thought he played well against Souths but what do I know ? Perhaps he was dropped to get some game time into him. Just another example of the coaching staffs inability to work out the interchange.

possm

Coach
Asap needs to be resigned only has next year .Is a leader and a passionate player gets better each year .Great game again yesterday love watching him play has scored some good tries this year.
It all depends on how much he is asking for. We can't pay all of our players top money so it may well be that Leilua will take his place in the 17 in 2019.

MilanDragon

Juniors
He's 28/29 now? Off contract end of next season so just about 30. A very solid first grader but not an elite player. Would have him in my 17 every day of the week. As much as I love his passion I wouldn't be signing him 'long term' but rather a 1-2 year contract at most on average money. We have others coming thrifty now with more up-side.

denis preston

First Grade
It all depends on how much he is asking for. We can't pay all of our players top money so it may well be that Leilua will take his place in the 17 in 2019.

Anyone who plays more than a couple of games of NRL is a good player but in this salary cap era we must also judge them by what it costs to get or retain them. I respect Dugan as a player but not 600k and over respect !

Don't think back row is a problem for us in the next 3 or 4 seasons.. Its up front and out wide we have issues.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

It could be but luc needs to learn that the only way to make it is through hard work.
And don't believe you are the next best thing even when people tell you that.
His attitude is changing so he may well be making his mark next year if not sooner.

Bench
He has been impressive in his last few games. He must come into consideration in 2018. Would be great off the bench

SFVD

First Grade
he'll be 30 at the end of his current contract, you maybe give him two more years. For all his 'shovel' talk on Twitter he's had some shit games this year himself, that young Fitzgibbon from the Knights towelled him a few times and Ross scored over him too in that game they nearly beat us in.

watatank

Coach
Thompson is ok but not someone that should be considered a priority signing. Depends on what he is asking for. We'll have options either way.

possm

Coach
I still think that Host will be a better edge forward than Thompson by next year.

You could be right however, I'm tired of looking to the future and having a weaker team each year. Thompson does go missing sometimes in a game. I don't value him as high as say, De Belin or Frizell and belive Sims is a better choice on the left edge.

I think we have the backrowers already in the Club to do the job for years to come. Leilua, Host, Sele and possibly some of our under 20s back rowers would shime under a good coaching staff.

Their is enough depth in our props; Vaughan, Graham, Ah Mau, Lourie, Latimore and Kerr.

So it must be our outside backs that Millward is targeting, thus the talk about letting Macdonald go. If also letting Thompson go, we free up enough cash to sign Rona and a good right winger, it is the right move and it will really make the Dragons a contender for 2018.

Hasler is no fool and I'm sure with Graham as captain in 2018, can see the potential of our roster and recognise the opportunity to do a Bennett; come in and polish a good roster to win a premiership within 3 years. More importantly, to give us a real chance of contesting of make the top 4 each year in order to give us a real chance of winning a GF each year.

epDragon62

First Grade
You could be right however, I'm tired of looking to the future and having a weaker team each year. Thompson does go missing sometimes in a game. I don't value him as high as say, De Belin or Frizell and belive Sims is a better choice on the left edge.

I think we have the backrowers already in the Club to do the job for years to come. Leilua, Host, Sele and possibly some of our under 20s back rowers would shime under a good coaching staff.

Their is enough depth in our props; Vaughan, Graham, Ah Mau, Lourie, Latimore and Kerr.

So it must be our outside backs that Millward is targeting, thus the talk about letting Macdonald go. If also letting Thompson go, we free up enough cash to sign Rona and a good right winger, it is the right move and it will really make the Dragons a contender for 2018.

Hasler is no fool and I'm sure with Graham as captain in 2018, can see the potential of our roster and recognise the opportunity to do a Bennett; come in and polish a good roster to win a premiership within 3 years. More importantly, to give us a real chance of contesting of make the top 4 each year in order to give us a real chance of winning a GF each year.
You had me until the reference to Hasler as if he is ours. Is there any basis to this?

possm

Coach
You had me until the reference to Hasler as if he is ours. Is there any basis to this?
No, I have no inside info on Hasler. But if the Club truly wants to move forward and be competitive, it needs to sign a top line coach and Hasler seems to be the most likely to me. Of course there are a few others available and all would be an upgrade on Mary.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I rate Host as a player due to his size, impact and low error rate. However the
coaching staff rate Sele and Lawrie above him even though the form of the latter two players was inferior. Dufty has been treated the same way as Host up until the last few games. Mann was treated the same way last year feeling like the fish that John West reject before he got a wing spot and ended up as top try scorer. But I guess that is expected as the coaches also think that Marketo and Matthews are up to first grade standard when the fans did not think so.

Uplifting

Juniors
Personally I can't understand how Thompson makes the starting line up in a team that has:

Vaughan
McInness
Packer
Frizell
Sims
JDB

hewi

Bench
Given lots of thought to this. Great club man ala Nightie, however he is in his twilight years. If Manly want to give him a 4 year contract and it sets up,his family good luck to him. Options IMO are Sims back where he belongs and a replacement front rower for him or more likely Luciano or Host step up as back rowers off the bench. I like Luciano for his offloads.

True_Believer

Juniors
We talk about Joel bleeding Red and White and so on and so forth. But we need to remember that he has actually played for Canberra more years than he did for us - although number of games is very similar. He's only been with us for 4 years and a couple of years ago it was rumoured that he wanted to go back to Canberra. So can't be all that much committed solely to the club or "bleed red and white". I guess it depends on what your definition is. I think hewi's description of a good "club man" is correct - he will put in for the team (whichever he is with at the time) until he moves on.

Look, I like Joel and think he's a great bloke, a good player and has been good for the club. I will definitely be sad to see him go. But in my opinion he can be replaced by better players already waiting in the wings - Sims and Host - not to mention others waiting for a shot.

Latest posts