What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Travel Thread

IanG

Coach
Thanks for that. Last time I flew my ticket included inflight entertainment so I didn't need it. This year I'm using a different airline

Misanthrope

Staff member
Some exciting travel coming up for me.

I've got a week in China's Xinjiang province to start May. Xinjiang borders five countries in China's far west, touches the Gobi, has a view of K2, and is basically completely unlike the rest of China. Excited to explore the desert, barter at the markets, sleep in a yurt, and try me some yak milk.

Even more excited about my month long visit to the States in July. Two weeks to explore Maryland, DC, New York, and Philadelphia - including celebrating Independence Day in Maryland.

Then it's off on a two week road trip through Seattle, Portland, Yosemite, Boulder, and finishing at Disneyland. One last stop in Chicago for a friend's wedding and then back to China. Not a bad run.

Plus my companion for four weeks is a pretty American nympho who can't wait to see me :)

Griffoshark66

First Grade
So far this year have done Cuba, Jamaica, Mexico, Texas, New Orleans and Florida. Highly recommend all destinations.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Any tips for Cuba and Mexico, Griffo?

My girlfriend and I are headed to Central America in January. Doing two weeks in Mexico, a week in Costa Rica, and a week in Cuba.

Then we're breaking up... I really need to stop doing these stupid break-up tours.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been to NZ twice and travelled around a lot of Australia. I figure its best to check out your own backyard first and then venture everywhere else.

NZ is f**king magnificent. Got married there last year :)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
agree about Oz, not many places I haven't been particularly the remote places, I prefer them to the cities

Misanthrope

Staff member
Heard about the pretty American nympho? She has made a point of trying to surpass her ;-)

Like most of my relationship failures, it has come down to my refusal to grow up and return to the real world. Living abroad and traveling is all I know. Why would I want a desk job?

Jono078

Referee
I'll be having a white Christmas for the 2nd time in my life (last one was a decade ago). Christmas and NYE in Canada :)

Misanthrope

Staff member
Jealous! I spent one Christmas (2007) in the northern hemisphere, but my corner of Korea didn't see snow unyil New Year's. Hopefully this year China sprinkles a wee bit of snow about for me.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Anybody got any SE Asia recommendations? Got a month off in January/February and want to spend it someplace warm. Looking for beach time, good food, and some culture/adventure.

Misanthrope

Staff member
You know what? I find myself missing Chinese food. That's a tragic irony given here I live.

EDIT: Technically, China is not in SE Asia.

Vietnam, brilliant place to visit and not heavily geared towards tourism so you can get a pretty authentic experience. The place caters very well to a younger crowd, particularly Saigon, Nha Trang, and Hoi An. Hue is great to visit too.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I've heard such mixed things on Vietnam. Some swear by it and others swear at it and call it Vietscam. Thailand is a front-runner for me, with Vietnam and Cambodia in contention. My girl wants Malaysia or the Philippines.