What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Travel Thread

Agent Mulder

Bench
Went to New Zealand in Jan, Auckland and Queenstown, Just an amazing country.
Have been to the States twice so i'm a bit over North America.

Everyone seems to rave about Bali, But i've been a bit stand off-ish about going there, Im not a huge drinker and My Wife and i would only like to go for the Culture and Food not to hang around a bunch of pissed Aussies, I've looked at staying at Kuta Beach and i suppose thats where every Australian goes.

Nuke

Staff member
I've never been overseas in my life. That's gonna change in July when I go to London for a week. I've never really been too keen on travelling. I don't particularly want to go to places where they don't speak English, nor do I have any desire to see famous landmarks, ect. I have always thought, however, that one day I'd go to the UK ... but much later in life. I've always said I need a reason to go travel overseas ("Because I want to" isn't a good enough reason!), and then one day several weeks ago I got that reason!

Having been a big Queen fan since I was about 14 (I'm 31 soon), I've always had the dream of seeing them live. Obviously, with Freddie Mercury no longer with us, it was an unlikely dream. I was 6 months too young to be allowed to see Queen guitarist Brian May on his world tour in 1998 (he played in an 18+ venue here in Perth), which probably would have been enough to satisfy my dream. I was gutted I couldn't go.
Queen have done two 'world' tours with Paul Rodgers singing in the past 7 or so years and frustratingly never came to Australia. So again, I was disappointed.

I received an e-mail a few weeks ago saying that Queen (with that Adam Lambert kid singing) are headlining day2 of a London music festical called Sonisphere and that tickets were going on sale the following day. I thought about it for a few days, checked my financial situation, realised I could (just!) manage it ... so went for it.

So yeah, in something like 14 weeks time, I'm realising a dream and going overseas at the same time. I'm not too sure what I'm going to be doing on the rest of the days I'm there (apart from on my first day finding one of these Aussie pubs I hear about so I can watch Origin III!), but I'm sure I'll work it out closer to the time.

Big Mick

Referee
Anyone been to Europe in December?

Taking my girlfriend over in December with plans of doing Amsterdam, Berlin/Munich, Prague, Budapest, Venice, Florence, Rome, Monaco, Marseille & then new years eve in Paris where I hope to make her Mrs Big Mick. LOL.

The plan was to hire a car in Rome and drive through Italy and France for 2 weeks until we get to Paris.

Any tips as far as the countries we are visiting, what are the MUST see's seeing as we'll be about 3 days in Amsterdam, Prague, Budapest with about 5 days in Germany.

Best tip I can give you is that it'll be freakin freezing in some of those places in December. Start at your Northernmost destination and work your way South. That way you will be chasing the sun or at least, what's left of it.

Skinner

Coach
Went to New Zealand in Jan, Auckland and Queenstown, Just an amazing country.
Have been to the States twice so i'm a bit over North America.

Everyone seems to rave about Bali, But i've been a bit stand off-ish about going there, Im not a huge drinker and My Wife and i would only like to go for the Culture and Food not to hang around a bunch of pissed Aussies, I've looked at staying at Kuta Beach and i suppose thats where every Australian goes.

Mate, if you are not into the drinking side, it's probably best to avoid Kuta.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Anyone been to Europe in December?

Taking my girlfriend over in December with plans of doing Amsterdam, Berlin/Munich, Prague, Budapest, Venice, Florence, Rome, Monaco, Marseille & then new years eve in Paris where I hope to make her Mrs Big Mick. LOL.

The plan was to hire a car in Rome and drive through Italy and France for 2 weeks until we get to Paris.

Any tips as far as the countries we are visiting, what are the MUST see's seeing as we'll be about 3 days in Amsterdam, Prague, Budapest with about 5 days in Germany.

Did Berlin, Prague, Vienna and Budapest last December. Was pretty cold but aslong as you dress accordingly you shouldn't have a drama. Did dinner at the hofbrau house, went up top int he viewing dome ontop of the reichstag and spent a fair bit of time hanging aorund the christmas markets that you will see everywhere.

PRague - pretty seedy place but very cheap. Went to the musuem for sex machines which was...different.

Budapest - The spa's are incredible

Nuke

Staff member
Jesus, just skimming over your post there I thought you were going to London for a week just to see the Queen.

Haha! Nah, if I wanted to see her, I'd have bothered when she came to Perth a few months ago for CHOGM. I believe at one stage she may have driven past my workplace when in town, but I wasn't even interested enough to go to the window!

So no, not the queen ... Queen! Haha!

Misanthrope

Staff member
Off to check out the Nanjing Massacre Memorial tomorrow. Bracing for it to be quite emotional - anywhere between 200,000 and 400,000 people were raped, tortured, and murdered here by the Japanese. Insane that it isn't more well known.

joshie

Live Update Team
Making another trip to Melbourne! flying down on the tuesday and flying back on the saturday, watching origin one, storm v broncos and will get smashed

f**k i am a high roller.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I was in Queensland seeing some of the ladies family over the weekend. It was about as shit as it sounded.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I've done a bit of exploring in my new backyard of late. Visited Xuanwha Lake Park over the weekend and heading off to the Nanjing Massacre Memorial tomorrow if my cold gives way.

Riding the world's highest altitude train from Shanghai to Lhasa, Tibet in May. Running a 10k in Mongolia in June, and then heading to the US for a month in July/August. Big things ahead!

melb_belle

Juniors
No huge overseas trips for me this year, only a short 2 week trip to NZ in July. Did a 6 week US trip late last year and can't wait to get back there.
Looking to do a longer trip to the US next year and add in parts of the Caribbean, Central and South America as well. Would've done that this year but the brother and future SIL decided to go and plan a wedding this year, how rude :p

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Canada is booked in, doing new york before and hawaii for a few days to relax and recover after it.

Contiki from one side to the other, alot of extreme stuff (white water rafting, horse back riding, worlds biggest zipline etc etc). Just miss the calgary stampede which is a bummer but have timed it well to see a red sox home game in boston and visiting pearl harbour which is 2 things off the bucket list

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
If it was a conitki then she is definately an aussie. Populate 98% of every tour.

Last trip the girl i hooked up with for the majority was probably 4th on my priority list but gigantic ogre like me you gotta take what you can get lol

Big Mick

Referee
I need help with something guys.

I'm flying into Amsterdam on 1 December, Flying out of Paris on 1 January (Hopefully engaged lol otherwise very awkward flight home).

Now the flights to where we want to go....will be around $700 right now.

But that means we are restricted.

Would you recommend flights and lock it in...or go another way of catching trains?

We plan to hire a car for the last 8 days when we get to Marseille - Driving through to Monaco then up through Nice and into Paris.