What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Burns

First Grade
Jamie Buhrer is the player in Tooheys column. He will swap with Uate. Also Paul Vaughan remains a target.

Buhrer is super average.

Spot On

Coach
Jamie Buhrer is the player in Tooheys column. He will swap with Uate. Also Paul Vaughan remains a target.

Buhrer is super average.

And so is Aku. Wonder how the $$$$ work in that trade. Can only comment on the scenario if we know the details. I'd rather have Buhrer than Aku all things being equal.

Glendale

Juniors
Can someone link the article?

Something seems wierd if Manly release Buhrer... I thought he was gonna be their captain next year?

slotmachine

First Grade
And so is Aku. Wonder how the $$$$ work in that trade. Can only comment on the scenario if we know the details. I'd rather have Buhrer than Aku all things being equal.

If Buhrer is on something like $250k a fair deal would be each club pays the existing contracts for 2017 and the players are a straight swap.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cslu8OyVIAATPzL.jpg

Don't really get why Brown is interested in these undersized utility type players.

Sacrolishes

Juniors
Kosjaycyn and Buhrer are stout defenders and absolute go getters. They're willingness to win and keep playing hard no matter the contest could end up being exactly what the young forwards need in this club to learn off. Astute pic ups if we get them. Then adding people like Vaughn and maybe Bird would add to the experience and will but also meter gaining.

macavity

Referee
Buhrer is the worst player to ever play origin.

He is a below average first grader. Under sized, slow and not skilful enough to be a playmaker. He is a poor mans Kostjaysn, who is a poor mans Matt Hilder.

We need some large athletes to throw into the mix and we keep chasing plodders. We are going to keep getting steamrolled.

slotmachine

First Grade
It's just weird that Brown wants to punt Randall and then goes out and buys two similar players. Anyway.

We're also getting another undersized centre/2nd row hybrid in Wardle. Meanwhile the Cows and Raiders just won semis by smoking their opponents with their monster packs.

Cows Backrow
Taumalolo - 113kg
Cooper - 108kg
Lowe - 107kg

Raiders Backrow
Soliola - 107kg
Papali - 112kg
Whitehead - 108kg

Jono078

Referee

He is a below average first grader. Under sized, slow and not skilful enough to be a playmaker. He is a poor mans Kostjaysn, who is a poor mans Matt Hilder.

We need some large athletes to throw into the mix and we keep chasing plodders. We are going to keep getting steamrolled.
Kind of what I was thinking. These guys will get squashed by the Sharks, Raiders and Cowboys pack.

Might have enough room for 1 in our 17, but these are hardly guys to get us to the promise land.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I'd rather pay Buhrer to play first grade than pay Aku to play reserve grade.

He may not be a superstar but he's a more than capable first grade player, he's more skilled than your average second rower and his defence is better than most of our side.

He's not a big body which is the biggest concern but I still think he would be an improvement on our side, at the very least if it means we don't see Pat Mat in first grade again then it's a good choice.

Its surprising that so many people are criticising these recruitment targets. Half our team this year were reserve graders who are being forced to play at a level that is above them. As far as I'm concerned the more seasoned first graders we can bring into the side the better. Even Heighington wouldn't be a terrible signing from that perspective. I'd feel a lot more confident going into 2017 that we might win a game with a few guys like this in the team.

perverse

Referee
I've always liked Buhrer. Great work ethic. Better having him than Aku, although were fairly overloaded on utility at this point. Not sure where Buhrer would fit in the team.

macavity

Referee
I'd rather pay Buhrer to play first grade than pay Aku to play reserve grade.

He may not be a superstar but he's a more than capable first grade player, he's more skilled than your average second rower and his defence is better than most of our side.

He's not a big body which is the biggest concern but I still think he would be an improvement on our side, at the very least if it means we don't see Pat Mat in first grade again then it's a good choice.

Its surprising that so many people are criticising these recruitment targets. Half our team this year were reserve graders who are being forced to play at a level that is above them. As far as I'm concerned the more seasoned first graders we can bring into the side the better. Even Heighington wouldn't be a terrible signing from that perspective. I'd feel a lot more confident going into 2017 that we might win a game with a few guys like this in the team.

I don't understand why we are bothering to replace "reserve graders" on the way up with "toilers" on the way down.

I would rather go for She-Rex than Buhrer, not because he is a better player or has a better attitude, but because he is something we lack - size.

We seem intent on having a team full of slow undersized tackle bots, so we can lose every game 18-6.

Johns Magic

Referee

Can you just admit you have never really watched this bloke?

8 weeks in a row at the end of this season when he came back from injury Buhrer made 100+ metres. 6 of those were 120+.

Averaged 39 tackles a game in those too.

He had a game in that stretch with 38 tackles and 178 metres.

In Round 24 vs Melbourne he made 46 tackles and 119 metres. Storm are one of the best and biggest packs going.

In his last game in 2015 vs Storm he got injured after 62 mins and still made 38 tackles and 122 metres.

Scores plenty of tries for a backrower and has ball skills.

He is not even remotely in the Hilder/Kostjasyn mould. It's like you've just seen a photo of the guy and saw his bench hooker gig for NSW years ago.

perverse

Referee
I don't understand why we are bothering to replace "reserve graders" on the way up with "toilers" on the way down.

I would rather go for She-Rex than Buhrer, not because he is a better player or has a better attitude, but because he is something we lack - size.

We seem intent on having a team full of slow undersized tackle bots, so we can lose every game 18-6.
It's because the road to the top goes through the middle. We look to be taking the long term view of upgrading players and getting the right attitudes in when we can, even if it's a small upgrade. I'm sure there's someone in our squad that Buhrer is both better and cheaper than. That's hardly a tall order.

Edit - lol, as JM just pointed out, his numbers are generally fantastic,he has a big engine and the work ethic to go with it. He's exactly the kind of guy you want around 20 year olds, with TRex being at the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

Nuffy

Bench
I'm okay with Buhrer swap as long as it's pretty clean and we aren't paying much freight.

As it's been said, we are swapping a FG player for a reggie player, so it's a net improvement.

But I get Macs sentiment, as we need big bodies and we haven't signed any, and the longer in goes, the more chance there is of things falling over.

If we could plug in Vaughan, Bird and Evans, we'd all be breathing a sigh of relief.

But we aren't there just yet.

Nuffy

Bench
Also I can't find any info on Matulino being released, we tried to sign him from the 20s and where close.

Get Jez to put out the feelers.