What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 Friday 30th March @ ANZ Stadium V Bulldogs

themacemaceman

Juniors
I
Good luck to the refs then---there's a million other things they can stop too if they want to get this "game-shame" back to a semblance of what it's meant to be!! There are just too many things wrong with it now. The game has been allowed to be bastardised over time & it is now an utter basket[bastard]-case!!!
It's certainly NOT RL!!!!
Tirade over!!!

I think Sam will get a week or two---it's good that he's back though, in a true enforcer's role, & leading by example in that regard. The twins are starting to get it & are following Sam's lead!!
I agree mate. The play the ball is a shambles. It's where all the trouble starts.
Somebody loses the ball and the ref is forced to make a decision as to whether he lost it or it was stripped.
It's a fair dinkum lottery!
And this changes the momentum of the game..... a lottery (50-50 call).
I don't know where the Nrl goes with this.

Travitoh

First Grade
The teams that realise what the refs are trying to achieve and adapt to it will flourish.
Get back the 10, release the player when the ref calls held, make the effort to play the ball correctly.
It's not hard, in fact they're all pretty basic parts of rugby league.
I'm seeing a lot of moaning about the penalty count from last nights game but if you were to go back and look, how many were incorrect?
We're all adults FFS who 12 months ago were complaining about penalties not being given. Now that they are, we don't like it.
There is no genuine argument against the referees except for "too many penalties" in which case, the players are to blame.
The refs are doing their job, why can't the players?

Last edited:

doyen

Bench
Hopefully they can move on to the next set of infractions once they have hammered home their point with the play the ball and offsides, hopefully 10 in the bin for back chatting refs becomes the norm as well.

I just hope & pray that kids,like my 12 yr old grandson,are being coached the game by the rule-book & with the right attitude.
RLs only hope are junior coaches basically starting from scratch which will take donkey's years!
Meanwhile the fans walk away from "RL???" while it's going through its "CANCER" operation!!

Pommy

Coach
I just hope & pray that kids,like my 12 yr old grandson,are being coached the game by the rule-book & with the right attitude.
RLs only hope are junior coaches basically starting from scratch which will take donkey's years!
Meanwhile the fans walk away from "RL???" while it's going through its "CANCER" operation!!

Because it’s impossible for fully grown men to get back ten, play the ball correctly or not act like they’re WWE stars in the tackle? Give me a f**king break.

Pommy

Coach
I would like to see captains start being sent for 10 minutes if teams continue to give away penalties so often. f**k em

I don’t know about captains but they should be using the bin more.
I would like to see the NRL come out on Tuesday and say players are not heeding the warnings and we will start to use the bin for constant penalty’s from round 5.
If they start binning captains the easiest thing is to nominate a nobody as captain

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
That was one of the ugliest wins I’ve seen for a while but as others have said those kind of wins get you into the top 8. Look at Penrith pulling miracles out of their bums in the first 2 rounds.

I thought the penalty count was completely justified. The bulldogs were offside constantly. Something that I found very frustrating was the fact that they would constantly rush us and we would panic and try to release the ball too early or just get caught in the tackle. I thought there were so many times we could’ve kicked it behind them and gone for the repeat set. I guess that’s where Adam Reynolds’ footy mind is missed.

I thought we won that game from pure determination. To only be down by 8 at half time was an absolute miracle.

Everyone had their ups and downs in that game but it was great to see the boys come together in the end and play some good footy. I am a big fan of sticking with the same side but I feel as if AR should be on the bench instead of Burns. Burns scored a great try but he will get another chance come origin.

Cameron Murray’s try at the end with all the boys running in was something special. This team can give it a real go this year.

Travitoh

First Grade
I don’t know about captains but they should be using the bin more.
I would like to see the NRL come out on Tuesday and say players are not heeding the warnings and we will start to use the bin for constant penalty’s from round 5.
If they start binning captains the easiest thing is to nominate a nobody as captain

I say captains as I'm sure that once Smith, JT or Gallen are sitting for a lack of discipline from their troops, then they will begin to push the point home in the rooms. Afterall, standards start with the captain

Rabbits20

Immortal
That was one of the ugliest wins I’ve seen for a while but as others have said those kind of wins get you into the top 8. Look at Penrith pulling miracles out of their bums in the first 2 rounds.

I thought the penalty count was completely justified. The bulldogs were offside constantly. Something that I found very frustrating was the fact that they would constantly rush us and we would panic and try to release the ball too early or just get caught in the tackle. I thought there were so many times we could’ve kicked it behind them and gone for the repeat set. I guess that’s where Adam Reynolds’ footy mind is missed.

I thought we won that game from pure determination. To only be down by 8 at half time was an absolute miracle.

Everyone had their ups and downs in that game but it was great to see the boys come together in the end and play some good footy. I am a big fan of sticking with the same side but I feel as if AR should be on the bench instead of Burns. Burns scored a great try but he will get another chance come origin.

Cameron Murray’s try at the end with all the boys running in was something special. This team can give it a real go this year.
What do you make of the Sam incident??

I think we will go to the judiciary.

But if he's out a fortnight we will be 2-4 @Travitoh

Pommy

Coach
I say captains as I'm sure that once Smith, JT or Gallen are sitting for a lack of discipline from their troops, then they will begin to push the point home in the rooms. Afterall, standards start with the captain

What happens if the captain is off for an interchange? I know what you’re saying but I don’t think it’s practical.
For me it should be two offsides per team per half and on the third one someone sits down. That would really wake people up.

Travitoh

First Grade
What happens if the captain is off for an interchange? I know what you’re saying but I don’t think it’s practical.
For me it should be two offsides per team per half and on the third one someone sits down. That would really wake people up.

Whoever is nominated to speak with the officials, is who goes for 10 in my idea.
Ideally it's a short term option to drive the point home. Over time as players learn, the need for such harsh action will be lessened but right now the refs need to go hard and assert their authority.

Travitoh

First Grade
Talking about a Sydney trip for easter with a few mates yesterday.
Say it was the same fixtures in 2018, how difficult would it be to get from the Souths game to Cronulla that night?

ThingFish

Juniors
Whoever is nominated to speak with the officials, is who goes for 10 in my idea.
Ideally it's a short term option to drive the point home. Over time as players learn, the need for such harsh action will be lessened but right now the refs need to go hard and assert their authority.
It can be anybody marched for 10. As soon as the refs say that’s enough, the next player pinged goes. And like Chechen last night, just keep marching them 10 meters for back chatting.

Pommy

Coach
Talking about a Sydney trip for easter with a few mates yesterday.
Say it was the same fixtures in 2018, how difficult would it be to get from the Souths game to Cronulla that night?

Shouldn’t be too hard station right outside ANZ, train to Redfern/central and change to Cronulla. I think it’s a fairly long train journey though. If there was a few of you splitting the cost maybe Uber would be a possibility.

ThingFish

Juniors
Shouldn’t be too hard station right outside ANZ, train to Redfern/central and change to Cronulla. I think it’s a fairly long train journey though. If there was a few of you splitting the cost maybe Uber would be a possibility.
@Travitoh ,yeah via A3 about an hour, given Easter traffic maybe hour and a half. Not sure what that converts to in Uber, but would be faster than trains. Now getting out of Cronulla and back to your accommodation might be a nightmare. They sort of lock down a lot of streets and it can be like a car park for ages before you get out of the area. Shark Park is the worst.

callmack1

Staff member
I agree with what a lot of you are saying in regards to the refs and penalties, at the end of the day, the onus is on the players. Rules have not changed, they are just now being interpreted properly. All clubs were warned in the Pre-Season and it's now Round 4 - it's quite clear what the refs are doing.

The teams that recognise this and really make it a focus to get onside, not leave until the ball clears the ruck and play the ball correctly are going to be head and shoulders above the rest. Hopefully clubs start to wake up to this.

Overall, I don't have a problem with what the refs are doing, it's the players. The onus is on them to sort it out.

While it's annoying right now, we'll look back at this and say what a great move for the game it was. Short term pain for long term gain.

In regards to Sam, I'll be absolutely fuming if he's suspended. It was nothing imo and you see carries like that all the time. If Morris didn't go down, it wouldn't have even been an issue.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Just watched Sam being put on report,it was only pulled up because Morris milked it for a penalty to leave the dogs in a great attacking position.
Report Morris for bullshit,weak as piss fellas.My missus hits harder at 3 am in the morning!
Mate it was euphoria at the ground yesterday.... so hard to describe...

The jaw and raw emotion in us Souths members!!!!

I'm still on a high!!!

I was leading the South Sydney chant in our bay near the end and GI looked over in our direction!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I agree with what a lot of you are saying in regards to the refs and penalties, at the end of the day, the onus is on the players. Rules have not changed, they are just now being interpreted properly. All clubs were warned in the Pre-Season and it's now Round 4 - it's quite clear what the refs are doing.

The teams that recognise this and really make it a focus to get onside, not leave until the ball clears the ruck and play the ball correctly are going to be head and shoulders above the rest. Hopefully clubs start to wake up to this.

Overall, I don't have a problem with what the refs are doing, it's the players. The onus is on them to sort it out.

While it's annoying right now, we'll look back at this and say what a great move for the game it was. Short term pain for long term gain.

In regards to Sam, I'll be absolutely fuming if he's suspended. It was nothing imo and you see carries like that all the time. If Morris didn't go down, it wouldn't have even been an issue.
Bro that was the highs and lows of being a Souths diehard all in one yesterday... it was nearly too much for me to take lol........ what a ride it was......

You didn't wanna hear the words out of my mouth when Douiehi missd the kick.... it just spilled out lol!!!!

Latest posts