What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Finals Scheduling

Valheru

Coach
Wk 3 - There should be another cross over so SYD as 1st seed and straight into the prelim should be Friday night of Week 3 vs the winner of the Saturday Wk 2 semi. Winner of that match still gets the 6-day break. Melbourne should be Saturday night against Winner of CRO/PEN. All the advantages should be going the way of the Roosters as Minor Premiers and winners of their Wk 1 final.

Not that I disagree with the idea but the NRL has never considered who gets the bigger rest leading in to the GF when scheduling week 3 finals. Under this current finals system including this year, only 3 times has the highest seeded winner from week 1 played in the Friday prelim, the other 4 times they have had the Saturday and under the McIntyre system, the highest seeded winner from week 1 always played in the 2nd prelim.

greenBV4

Bench
So at this point it looks like both storm finals will be played with 90K+ across the road at the MCG. Both crowds and ratings will suffer as a result.
I have a feeling 9 wanted the Storm on Friday night to compete against 7 on the main channels in Melbourne, the game would get the same rating in Sydney regardless of what day, but in Melbourne, they will get nowhere near the numbers of 7, but they might steal a few, and what else would they put on?

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
I have a feeling 9 wanted the Storm on Friday night to compete against 7 on the main channels in Melbourne, the game would get the same rating in Sydney regardless of what day, but in Melbourne they will get nowhere near the numbers of 7 but they might steal a few, and what else would they put on?

Makes no sense at all.

greenBV4

Bench
Makes no sense at all.
Why put it on Friday then? According to the NRL's social media posts the Storm game is "Preliminary Final 2", why would you put it before game 1 and purposefully clash with the only AFL game in Melbourne? Shouldn't the Roosters (if they win) also have the longest rest before the GF since they were Minor Premiers?

The only other reasons I can think of are:
1 - the NRL grew some balls and is actually actively trying to compete with the AFL
2- the NRL have no clue what so ever how to schedule games

Canard

Immortal
Why put it on Friday then? According to the NRL's social media posts the Storm game is "Preliminary Final 2", why would you put it before game 1 and purposefully clash with the only AFL game in Melbourne? Shouldn't the Roosters (if they win) also have the longest rest before the GF since they were Minor Premiers?

1 - the NRL grew some balls and is actually actively trying to compete with the AFL
TV ratings are the one and only consideration

@greenBV4 I'm sure it's option 2. They'd have a better chance of getting a better rating on Saturday night and double the crowd

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

On the naming of the game "Preliminary Final 2" that only refers to the side of the draw a team is on, not the order in which it's to be played.

Valheru

Coach

The naming of the games is arbitrary. Roosters played in QF1 for example which was after QF2.

The NRL have done this to give both week 2 winners a full 7 day break leading in to week 3

typicalfan

Coach
Sharks and Broncos played on Sunday in the last round so NRL werent going to make them turn around and play Friday, plus there was a Union test in Brisbane on Saturday so that locked the Broncos in on Sunday.

Panthers and Warriors could have been Friday instead but I guess the game being at ANZ would have made it easier for fans to turn up Saturday. Plus the weather was crazy Friday so it would have drawn poorly anyway so its good that they didnt

typicalfan

Coach

3. Want the Sydney game on Saturday to draw the biggest possible crowd at Allianz.
4. Dont care what the AFL do.

JB04

Juniors
The NRL have come out and said that regardless of the opponents, the Week 3 final involving the Roosters and the winner of the Souths/Dragons game will be played at Allianz Stadium and will not be moved to ANZ. Source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...inal-venue-20180910-p502uc.html?crpt=homepage
Too right it should. Will be much better viewing both at the game and on television to a packed Allianz rather than thousands of empty blue seats at ANZ. Common sense prevails

yobbo84

First Grade
I'm perfectly fine with that, the Roosters have earned that right. However, it's a bit rich for the NRL to then make the Panthers and Sharks play at ANZ/Allianz. You either go all in, or not at all IMO.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'm perfectly fine with that, the Roosters have earned that right. However, it's a bit rich for the NRL to then make the Panthers and Sharks play at ANZ/Allianz. You either go all in, or not at all IMO.

That is it for me. They made the rule so fans weren't locked out of smaller grounds..Yet they are doing the exact same thing here

Timmah

Staff member
The NRL made it clear several years ago that those two venues are the only ones available for finals. I don't understand how people continue to make this argument anymore, it's not negotiable on the NRL's end apart from between the two grounds.

typicalfan

Coach
I remember this being debated last season when a Roosters vs Eels prelim was on the cards. I believe the grounds are rated in tiers and both Allianz and ANZ are the same tier. And for Sharks fans, Allianz is definitely the best option for them when the alternative is ANZ.

yobbo84

First Grade
The NRL made it clear several years ago that those two venues are the only ones available for finals. I don't understand how people continue to make this argument anymore, it's not negotiable on the NRL's end apart from between the two grounds.
I'm saying it's a stupid rule - that's the argument.

Timmah

Staff member
I'm saying it's a stupid rule - that's the argument.
Agree to disagree there. I'd actually be on board for the old days where all finals are at the SFS. I think familiarity is what brings in crowds and that's part of the reason finals crowds were so consistently good in the 90s.