What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons chase Jarryd Hayne

ALSGI

Bench
I simply bring the elementary facts to members that, under the current arrangement, recruitment and pathways are responsible to provide a squad of suitable players to the coaching staff. The coaching staff are then charged with the responsibility to put the best 17 of those players on the field in first grade each week. If there is a disconnect between players available and players with a required skill-set to do the job, then the coaching staff unnecessarily have their hands tied. The problem only gets worse when the coaching staff are not able to improve the skill-set of players in their squad.

In 2018 we had a bunch of juniors in our squad together with a few ISP players who were not up to the task and at the same time had at least 4 of the back 5 first grade players who were below standard; Dufty, Nightingale, Aitken and Lafai; all having contracts recently extended - Nightingale being the exception his term ended in 2018.

On the bright side, our forwards are a very good pack and I believe would not have failed mid-season through fatigue if one or two additional first grade ready props were available or if a proper rotation system was put in place. Latimore surprised and Lawrie came good at seasons end.

In 2019 we have K Sims in for Ah Mau but even with Latimore and Lawrie being available again, we still lack one first grade ready prop to ensure a proper prop rotation for season 2019.

Given all of the above I can't give recruitment/pathways a pass mark; although I do give them credit for the transition of Zac Lomax from the junior ranks through ISP and on to first grade. Lomax is the example by which pathways should strive to achieve.

Words like 'Millward is doing a great job' fly in the face of the above described situation. In my opinion opportunities were lost in 2018 mainly due to this situation.

The problem is even more serious given the quality of our coaching staff, the loss of Macdonald and the current lack of available quality players to replace Nightingale, Dufty, Lafai and Macdonald. At this stage, the only happy note is the anticipation of success for Lomax in season 2019 and the excitement that K Sims, Leilua and Lawrie may add to the already powerful pack of forwards.

All of the above problems are self inflicted and could be avoided if a more business like attitude was adopted when hireing key personnel within our Club.
Not the ‘its a mess’ thing again.
FFS, I’m looking forward to next year with hope that you (and the other footy scientists) are going to eat shit.
We have a good squad with potential to be a great squad and take the trophy.
Can’t wait.

Crush

Coach
FFS, I’m looking forward to next year with hope that you (and the other footy scientists) are going to eat shit.
Can’t wait.
ALSGI, I think we are in for a long off-season. Top 5 topics will include-
Its a mess, a Millward mess.
Dufty should be dropped.
Kurt Mann has been treated unfairly.
Aitken and Lafai suck.
Sack Mary.

rednwhites

Juniors
Dufty should be dropped.
Aitken and Lafai suck.
Sack Mary.
you forgot
Dragons still chasing Jarryd Hayne

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Hmm, poor defence leaked more tries than I care to remember. This isn't exactly striking the balance or one would think. Beg to differ on this one.
how many tries was that drag give me a number and which games i have copies of every game il check it for you was it 20 or 10 or 5 are we getting close my queen ..........

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Dufty should be dropped.
Aitken and Lafai suck.
Sack Mary.

You forgot to mention DA61 knee op thread. Its a hot topic at the moment and with the number of old crocks on this forum and our health issues, its sure to challenge the 'Sack McGregor ' thread.

Carlton

Juniors
Where have I generalised?

Where have I told people what they are thinking? I'm just going by what people say in the forums here. If they don't think the ISP players are ready, why call for them to be promoted? They obviously 'think' the player is ready which is what I stated.

How do you know Dufty wasn't blooded when it was best for the team? Because you thought he should have been blooded when Nightingale played fullback? Are we 100% sure Dufty was ready at that point in time? I don't disagree with timing the promotion appropriately, but there is so much we don't know about the players and whether everything lines up. I may think at times that a player should be brought into the team at a certain time, but I'm not going to say whether a decision is right or wrong when I only have 1/2 the story.

And I'm not talking about squirrelling away the juniors, I was referring to the millions of cap money that the club is apparently sitting on (again, based on what is being discussed in the forum). Like we know all this for a fact. It's all based on made up numbers without a clue as to what's been spent where.

" If they have deficiencies then find a solution from outside until they are ready for promotion." and "give the really top class juniors a genuine pathway" highlights to me that you didn't think Dufty was a top class junior - because we've actually provided him with a pathway and we've given him an opportunity. As you've confirmed, you want him dropped and somebody recruited - that answers my question.

Finally, I'm not talking about discarded juniors at all - I'm talking about those that have potential but aren't quite ready and then we go and buy an alternative to simply have them move on because we've blocked their path. Juniors won't sit behind another player indefinitely. They'll move on as soon as they get an offer elsewhere - Jack Bird ring any bells? So then we have to wait for another junior to come through, and meanwhile purchase another to fill the gap.

Sorry about my reference to squirrelling away players, I misunderstood what you were saying and went back and reread it.

We haven't lost too many juniors to other teams who have gone on to be stars because they had no pathway in the last three or four years. We lost Jack Bird but in hindsight I think we dodged a bullet there.

I think Dufty was a star junior, I dont think he is a star first grader. As you say he was given a pathway and in my opinion is an example of a junior that has areas of his game that is not first grade level at the moment. What do you do with him? You either let him go or move him back to ISP to learn. The other issue with Dufty is that he isn't that young and if he's not in first grade then maybe a 20 year old in ISP is a better gamble long term.

With the salary cap and limit of numbers in the first grade and development squads, the only way of having talent available is to have a production line of juniors moving into and out of the lower grades in an organised but hard nosed process.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I don't want Hayne anywhere near our joint and I belieive it's only Fake news driven by his manager.
My ex neighbor use to play for the Titans & remains close to the playing group. His tales on Hayne indicate he's toxic to team harmony and considers himself above the law of coaching. Stay clear IMO!!

possm

Coach
Sorry about my reference to squirrelling away players, I misunderstood what you were saying and went back and reread it.

We haven't lost too many juniors to other teams who have gone on to be stars because they had no pathway in the last three or four years. We lost Jack Bird but in hindsight I think we dodged a bullet there.

I think Dufty was a star junior, I dont think he is a star first grader. As you say he was given a pathway and in my opinion is an example of a junior that has areas of his game that is not first grade level at the moment. What do you do with him? You either let him go or move him back to ISP to learn. The other issue with Dufty is that he isn't that young and if he's not in first grade then maybe a 20 year old in ISP is a better gamble long term.

With the salary cap and limit of numbers in the first grade and development squads, the only way of having talent available is to have a production line of juniors moving into and out of the lower grades in an organised but hard nosed process.

The recruitment/pathways director plays a key role on the development of juniors and timely readiness of players for inclusion in the first grade 17. It is by no means a simple exercise and in my opinion the number one focus should be the provision of a competitive 17 with good ISP backup for each and every season.

So readiness and talent should be the key factors when assessing players in the top 17. Small risks can be tolerated but long term risks should be avoided at all cost; even if it means letting go a junior with potential. A good balance of local juniors and talented imports should be maintained to avoid a downturn of competitiveness of our 17.

A key element in all of this is the coaching staff. I believe it essential that the head coach and coaching staff have confidence in the squad they are given and conversely it is just as important that the coaching staff do the best they can to field a competitive team and form a game plan that takes into consideration the strengths and weaknesses of each member of the team.

denis preston

First Grade
Ben Barba was none of those things but geez he was good when he was good. Pure speed, he would hit the ball and BOOM he was gone.
Ben was never going to be big, he was never going to make big yards off his goal line and wasn't going to be a great defender but without him the sharks don't win that 2016 comp.
Dufty is our Ben Barba.

And our Bowen.

Gareth67

First Grade
Anyone for a game of chess . . . or even checkers ? As this will certainly be a long hot off - season and Hayne won’t be signed , Whamsley is still trying to find the airport over there in foggy old pommy land and Bennett , well he will be remaining at the Broncos . The only good news is that Santa is on his way and oh yeah - our Mary shall be there in 2019 to lead the Dragons to yet another May premiership !

getsmarty

Immortal
Former dragons centre keen for St George return
r0_0_6000_3280_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

DRAGONS: Matt Cooper having a throw with three Mudgee Dragons players, Troy Grant, Dugald Saunders and Adam Marshall. Photo: Jay-Anna Mobbs

With the two fixtures dates confirmed that St George Illawarra Dragons will play at Glen Willow in 2019, Matt Cooper told how the Dragons feel about revisiting Mudgee and why it’s important to do so.

In his last visit, former Dragons centre, Matt Cooper saw how highly contested players such as himself are received in the Mudgee community.

“Last year when I came out, I went to the local junior club and to a couple of schools, and everyone was so excited just to see their NRL heros in the flesh.”

Read more | Orana’s tilt at Regional Bash crown goes up in Flames

Placing great importance on visiting regional NSW, Cooper says Mudgee is a place where the Dragons are always happy to return to.

“I know how much it means to the people of Mudgee so that way we can support the local town just as much as you support us.”

Mudgee is one of those places where we just can’t wait to get back out to.

Matt Cooper
Dragons will take on the South Sydney Rabbitohs for the 36th annual Charity Shield on Saturday, March 2, 2019.

The round 10 NRL Premierships game on Sunday, May 19, 2019, with the opponent to be announced when the 2019 NRL Draw is released.

When asked about the round 10 match, Cooper laughed up the idea it would be an answer to his prayers if it were the wooden spoon prone Paramatta Eels.

“We don’t know the opponent yet, but hopefully it is Paramatta.”

These matches are part of a two-year deal between the Dragons and Mid-Western Regional Council ahead of the 2018 season.

Tickets go on sale for the Charity Shield at the start of November.

The 2018 Charity Shield went to South Sydney who took out St George, 22-18.

Round 10 went to the Dragons who beat Canberra Raiders, 25-18.

https://www.mudgeeguardian.com.au/story/5714381/cooper-keen-for-19/

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Can’t wait.
There's no science with our mob only luck and hope. The last couple of years luck left us half way through the season and we lost all hope. We'll see how we go next year

qld redvee

Juniors
The recruitment/pathways director plays a key role on the development of juniors and timely readiness of players for inclusion in the first grade 17. It is by no means a simple exercise and in my opinion the number one focus should be the provision of a competitive 17 with good ISP backup for each and every season.

So readiness and talent should be the key factors when assessing players in the top 17. Small risks can be tolerated but long term risks should be avoided at all cost; even if it means letting go a junior with potential. A good balance of local juniors and talented imports should be maintained to avoid a downturn of competitiveness of our 17.

A key element in all of this is the coaching staff. I believe it essential that the head coach and coaching staff have confidence in the squad they are given and conversely it is just as important that the coaching staff do the best they can to field a competitive team and form a game plan that takes into consideration the strengths and weaknesses of each member of the team.

Possm
your last paragraph sums it up ( in my opinion) our coaching staff are not capable on improving individual players or have game plans to suit . We all know mary has confidence in his squad and will not look outside of those even if badly out of form (aitken/ lafai ) need an isp coach that does not run the water but can assisst in coaching and we need to be willing to give isp players a go when warranted ( not 5 minutes) its surprising how most other teams blood 18 or 19 year olds for entire games where we keep them in cotton wall and when forced to play them ( think storm game) when they run out of puff its disasterousfor both themselves and the team. recruitment / pathways director doesnt coach the players all he can do is try to identify and keep ( if in coaches plan) said players You can never keep all players you just have to hope that the ones you keep actually come through.

BLM01

First Grade
Anyone for a game of chess . . . or even checkers ? As this will certainly be a long hot off - season and Hayne won’t be signed , Whamsley is still trying to find the airport over there in foggy old pommy land and Bennett , well he will be remaining at the Broncos . The only good news is that Santa is on his way and oh yeah - our Mary shall be there in 2019 to lead the Dragons to yet another May premiership !
Bennett will not be at Broncos next year most likely. Looks like Siebold will be going there. Furner to replace Siebold. Odd move by the Bunnies in replacing him. Furner had a great record coaching aginst the Dragons though :). The fun park carousel begins, someone tell Mary where it is please!

The decision was made to back Dufty as the long term FB solution late in 2017.
He has now played a full season in FG.
What concerns me is that I don't see much improvement in his game from when he debuted 'til now.
I believe Dufty has the potential to be a great fullback but someone has to mentor him and work on his deficiencies. He is not a great FB right now.
Who is qualified to help him in our club?
Hornby started his career a FB but ended up being a premiership winning half back.
Without improving his skills such as his positional play, reliability under the high ball and his defence, Dufty will not reach his potential.
All the talk about Hayne is funny to me.
He would best fit into our team at FB if you could put up with the media focus and possible disuptions.

Drag Queen

Bench
Love chess, but Chinese checkers is way easier :)

Drag Queen

Bench
Ben Barba was none of those things but geez he was good when he was good. Pure speed, he would hit the ball and BOOM he was gone.
Ben was never going to be big, he was never going to make big yards off his goal line and wasn't going to be a great defender but without him the sharks don't win that 2016 comp.
Dufty is our Ben Barba.
Player of the year in ESL. Cows might be building quite nicely Crush.