What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
When I started work at a meat works in 1995, one of my friends who is allergic to eggs could not get a job there because the vaccines for Q fever contains egg. I didn't need the vaccine as I had already had Q fever.

still relevant. I worked for a company doing contracted construction and maintenance work at Malabar Sewage plant about 5/-6 years ago, we had to get a bunch of shots before we were allowed on that job, no jab, no work

Danish

Referee
Rubbish, these people have sought permission to participate in a high risk activity and have been given permission to so on the condition they follow certain guidelines. One of these guidelines is to get the flu shot, don't get the shot, that is ok but you can't participate in this high risk activity.

A vaccination that is completely irrelevant to the pandemic.

mayne we should force them all to take HIV preventatives too

Danish

Referee
No one is physically forcing them. They don't have to have the shot, but they don't get to play. Unimmunised kids are already excluded from daycare and in public school they can be pulled out in the event of a virus outbreak.

Are kids who do get the flu shot excluded from day care?

Danish

Referee
20% is a pulled out of his arse number. Considering it's harder to get the jab at the moment and there is 16.5M vaccinations available I'd say that number is horseshit.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers...ustralians-getting-vaccinated-against-the-flu

Even if it is, it's not reflective of people being anti-vaxx if they don't get it.

Catching the flu will increase the risk of complications/susceptibility if you contract Rona so you reduce your risk.

It's pretty f**king simple.

You reduce YOUR risk. That is a YOU decision. Cartwright getting the flu isn’t some dangerous affair for the public.

cartwright not getting a flu vaccination does not have any effect on his likelihood of catching or spreading coronavirus. The conditions of play during a pandemic should be limited to ensuring we aren’t spreading coronavirus. Not just random made up shit.

the NRL never required flu shots before. The risk of a player dying of the flu is no different today that it was at any other time in the games history

Canard

Immortal
You reduce YOUR risk. That is a YOU decision. Cartwright getting the flu isn’t some dangerous affair for the public.

cartwright not getting a flu vaccination does not have any effect on his likelihood of catching or spreading coronavirus. The conditions of play during a pandemic should be limited to ensuring we aren’t spreading coronavirus. Not just random made up shit.

the NRL never required flu shots before. The risk of a player dying of the flu is no different today that it was at any other time in the games history

This isn't "any other time in history".

Nobody is claiming not getting the jab is a danger to the public, that he could die from it or it increases his likelihood of catching the virus.

Having it reduces the risk of catching the flu and passing it onto others. Current thinking is contracting the Rona whilst you have the flu would compromise your health.

No jab, no play. 100% his choice.

Danish

Referee
This isn't "any other time in history".

Nobody is claiming not getting the jab is a danger to the public, that he could die from it or it increases his likelihood of catching the virus.

Having it reduces the risk of catching the flu and passing it onto others. Current thinking is contracting the Rona whilst you have the flu would compromise your health.

No jab, no play. 100% his choice.

Has the flu been listed as one of the pre-existing conditions which increase fatality with covid? Genuine question.

Personally I get flu shots every year, and I think Cartwright is a ponce for not vaccinating his kids. But IMO if he other the other players want to fight this specific condition, I reckon he'll win. It just seems completely arbitrary and outside the scope of what a government could enforce.

Canard

Immortal
Has the flu been listed as one of the pre-existing conditions which increase fatality with covid? Genuine question.

Personally I get flu shots every year, and I think Cartwright is a ponce for not vaccinating his kids. But IMO if he other the other players want to fight this specific condition, I reckon he'll win. It just seems completely arbitrary and outside the scope of what a government could enforce.

Where you on the sauce when you posted those other ones mate? This is much more coherent. (I a bad drunk poster)

You could argue that all of the world's government responses has been arbitrary,and I'm not sure spending months fighting this in court, is even on the table or relevant.

I think we are forgetting that this isn't just a normal everyday situation, and the NRL is asking for resumption almost 2 months before the rest of us are allowed to.

As for the science, no idea, but I'd suspect getting the flu isn't highly recommended.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee

Fact, the health professionals have recommended these actions.

I find it bizarre, that they no problem when the boss says, here is a list of drugs you cannot have.

Kick up a big stink when told to take one from a doctor.

Anyways, hope they all get banned.

Dickheads.

Just don't piss in your mouth and carry on.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"The AFL gets the same treatment from the media that the NRL does" - every AFL troll on LU
lol.

Media reporting on NRL players and social distancing laws:
Latrell-MItchell-Josh-Ado-Carr.jpg

Media reporting on AFL players and social distancing laws:
12226228-3x2-xlarge.jpg

Danish

Referee
Will the NRL enforce these laws on all teams? Or only the ones based in QLD?

seems unfair that the Gold Coast have to lose players while NSW/ACT based teams don’t

Heisenberg

Juniors
It appears to be a condition of the exemptions from the QLD government to allow them to train. Not sure what else the NRL can do for them.

Danish

Referee
Where you on the sauce when you posted those other ones mate? This is much more coherent. (I a bad drunk poster)

You could argue that all of the world's government responses has been arbitrary,and I'm not sure spending months fighting this in court, is even on the table or relevant.

I think we are forgetting that this isn't just a normal everyday situation, and the NRL is asking for resumption almost 2 months before the rest of us are allowed to.

As for the science, no idea, but I'd suspect getting the flu isn't highly recommended.

I think it was more just very late at night here in NY.

yes there have been plenty of arbitrary responses. Indeed if a lot of the lockdown laws were actually challenged, some might not stand up. But most people have gone along with them as they just make sense.

this though IMO doesn’t make much sense. At least not from a health perspective. If the NRL came out making it blanket policy for the code, stating they wanted less scares/quarantines from players coming down with flu-like symptoms, then that would make more sense.

the QLD government applying this rule solely to NRL players when it doesn’t even apply it to their own employees is stupid

Canard

Immortal
I think it was more just very late at night here in NY.

yes there have been plenty of arbitrary responses. Indeed if a lot of the lockdown laws were actually challenged, some might not stand up. But most people have gone along with them as they just make sense.

this though IMO doesn’t make much sense. At least not from a health perspective. If the NRL came out making it blanket policy for the code, stating they wanted less scares/quarantines from players coming down with flu-like symptoms, then that would make more sense.

the QLD government applying this rule solely to NRL players when it doesn’t even apply it to their own employees is stupid

Do those protections exist under State of Emergency conditions?

I'm also certain that return to office plans will need to include things as arbitrary as this for the time being.

Remember special exemption is being sort here, you can't this exemption to be unconditional.

Canard

Immortal
Will the NRL enforce these laws on all teams? Or only the ones based in QLD?

seems unfair that the Gold Coast have to lose players while NSW/ACT based teams don’t

You'd be one of very few to consider losing Bryce to be a detriment....

Latest posts