What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould reviewing Dragons.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The board renewing Marys contract this year has made me hate them. I hate the coach, I hate the players, I hate the club.
I know I sound like a dramatic school girl but I really think I might turn my back on the whole thing and find another hobby.
They've lost me.
You could always jump on the Raiders bandwagon..

BLM01

First Grade
Cant read it but thanks Gus under instructions from Dragons media
Could not wait to release this when Mc0 was under fire when they knew it would be soon
Let me guess... not Mary's fault about how poor the roster is going or recruitment at the Dragons as he is stands back at lets everyone else do the work and then they take the wrap when it does not work.
We knew he did not have any ideas anyway
Why pay him 600K, 750K or 800K whatever to do nothing and watch and just copy power game plan model from an old Bennett or Maguire blueprint

getsmarty

Immortal
Cant read it but thanks Gus under instructions from Dragons media
Could not wait to release this when Mc0 was under fire when they knew it would be soon
Let me guess... not Mary's fault about how poor the roster is going or recruitment at the Dragons as he is stands back at lets everyone else do the work and then they take the wrap when it does not work.
We knew he did not have any ideas anyway
Why pay him 600K, 750K or 800K whatever to do nothing and watch and just copy power game plan model from an old Bennett or Maguire blueprint

Behind a paywall....I can't read it either and couldn't be bothered...Spin machine in overdrive....if we win tomorrow....the pressure will be off....CRUCIAL result on every level....

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Am I illiterate or did I read he was involved 20% or something ridiculous. Well I don’t know what he was doing or is doing as I remember he doesn’t even watch the CC when they were playing.
Just go Paul and take all your friends with you.

You lied to the club that you care about with other coaching offers and you want them to pay you when you are nothing short of a fraud

BLM01

First Grade
Am I illiterate or did I read he was involved 20% or something ridiculous. Well I don’t know what he was doing or is doing as I remember he doesn’t even watch the CC when they were playing.
Just go Paul and take all your friends with you.

You lied to the club that you care about with other coaching offers and you want them to pay you when you are nothing short of a fraud
Now we know about his new catch phrase..."footprints in all areas in the building".
Interpretation GUS said..."you need to me more hands on and stop sitting back and let everyone do all the work for you"
Mc0 replies "really?..is that what a coach should do"
But he spins it to the supporters after his junket and turned into a corporate line.

So Mc0, I thouight that was the one and only lesson from ovreseas about footprints. It appears you got nothing then except more NFL one liners and hangovers as Gus taught you that.

In fact I dont believe this headline (no I have not read the article) for 1 minute. Its BS
The same sort of things were said after 2015 / 2016 end of season reviews and downhill slides..but in reverse.
He was doing too much and had no time to coach?...so they relieved him of everything.
Defies belief..that the club stands back at oversees this garbage

denis preston

First Grade
I didnt know how to take this article with my breakfast. Is he critical of our Board and backing McFlop or is he saying he makes excuses and doesn't own up ?

Why sacking the coach isn't always the solution
Phil Gould
June 6, 2020 — 4.30pm
  • Send via Email

View all comments

The head coach of any NRL team has a big influence on the attitude, personality, character, development, professionalism and resilience of the team. Ultimately, these factors will contribute to the team’s winning record.

The head coach is very important. That’s why they get the big bucks.

However, the head coach is only part of your organisation. He is not the whole of the organisation. He doesn’t own all of the results, good or bad.
If the player is committed to making himself fitter, stronger, faster, more skilful and more knowledgeable, then I guess that player is entitled to hold his coach to the same standards.

However, it’s up to the leadership of the club to decipher whether the utterings of disgruntled players truly deserve to be heard. Many times the underperforming and uncaring player has contributed to the demise of a head coach.

An experienced leader should also be able to read the landscape ahead. Where is our club on the curve that reflects the roller-coaster ride of success and failure in the future? Can you look past the disappointments of the present to see the potential for blue skies ahead? Or are you able to recognise that a current streak of good fortune on the scoreboard is only papering over deeply embedded cracks that will eventually bring your club down?

Unfortunately, history shows us that many of the decision-makers at club level over the years have been more influenced by the level of criticism or praise they receive in the mainstream media, social media and fan forums. Self-interest is a killer. Too many decisions are made by way of knee-jerk reactions, or emotional responses to wins and losses. Too many decisions are made in search of quick-fix solutions. Way too often, an impatience or lack of personal resilience to criticism and pressure is a major influence on crucial decisions.

The success of any organisation begins with leadership. As Jack Gibson once said, “Winning starts in the front office.”

For me, the basics of success are leadership, communication, relationship building, motivation, teamwork and honesty in self-appraisal.

Establishing the DNA of your organisation. Recognising what it truly is, or should be. Building it. Respecting it. Nurturing it. Then future-proofing it. Developing tomorrow’s champions with your club’s DNA embedded in them.

Before a club sacks a coach, they must first be honest enough to admit whether they themselves have contributed to the team’s struggles.

It’s the leadership of the club that provides the environment where the other basics of success are respected and nurtured.

The quality of communication in an organisation is crucial to building relationships based on honesty and trust. Relationship building is such an important part of the foundations that make your club resilient.

Motivation that is real and understood. Motivation that is regularly monitored and discussed. Motivation is the reason why we do the things we do.

Understanding the mechanics of building a team. Understanding the importance of teamwork. Understanding the power of the team that helps individuals perform at their absolute best because they are part of the team. Respecting and acknowledging every member of your organisation for the role that they play, no matter how big or small that role may be.

Honesty in self-appraisal is about being accountable and taking ownership of your own performance. Regularly auditing your performance. Attention to detail. Not cutting corners. Not making excuses. Making contributions to the program and seeking feedback. Helping others, because when they do their job well, it will help you do your job better.

Not hiding within the team, within the club, within the structures. Not riding through on the performances of your buddies. Recognising, recruiting and rewarding good people. Accepting setbacks and losses as part of the process towards success. Learning from failure to build knowledge, resilience and a better way of doing things. Never getting beaten the same way twice.

Now, if the leadership of any football club can provide an environment where all of the above is being respected; if the leadership of the club understands what is needed for real and sustainable success, and is providing these resources to the head coach and players of the day, then the leaders of a club are entitled to expect, in fact demand, great results.

When your fans look at your jersey and your club logo, what do they feel? What do they believe? What do they expect?

What are the words that people use to describe your club right now? What are the words you would like them to use? The things you want people to feel, believe, expect and say about your club will only happen if that’s the way you present your club, every day.

Now, before a club sacks a coach, they must first be honest enough to admit whether they themselves have contributed to the team’s struggles.

If the club is failing in the manner in which it delivers a clarity of its purpose, its duty of care to all coaches, players and staff; its provision of resources, or the education and development of its people, then the club should first be getting its own house in order, before delivering the coach's head on a stick to the wild-eyed fans and media.

When the club has done everything possible to assist the coach and players to be the best they can be, and they are convinced the results being achieved are less than what they and their fans deserve, and that these results are being negatively influenced by the efforts or expertise of the head coach, then they are entitled to make the cut and bring in someone more deserving of the role.

Until then, harden up, stick together and never give up.

c70709a77ff1890f06e07d7ebe9bc2bea0b0c70e

Phil Gould
Phil Gould is a League Columnist for The Sydney Morning Herald

MOST VIEWED IN SPORT

getsmarty

Immortal
I didnt know how to take this article with my breakfast. Is he critical of our Board and backing McFlop or is he saying he makes excuses and doesn't own up ?

Why sacking the coach isn't always the solution
Phil Gould
June 6, 2020 — 4.30pm
  • Send via Email

View all comments

The head coach of any NRL team has a big influence on the attitude, personality, character, development, professionalism and resilience of the team. Ultimately, these factors will contribute to the team’s winning record.

The head coach is very important. That’s why they get the big bucks.

However, the head coach is only part of your organisation. He is not the whole of the organisation. He doesn’t own all of the results, good or bad.
If the player is committed to making himself fitter, stronger, faster, more skilful and more knowledgeable, then I guess that player is entitled to hold his coach to the same standards.

However, it’s up to the leadership of the club to decipher whether the utterings of disgruntled players truly deserve to be heard. Many times the underperforming and uncaring player has contributed to the demise of a head coach.

An experienced leader should also be able to read the landscape ahead. Where is our club on the curve that reflects the roller-coaster ride of success and failure in the future? Can you look past the disappointments of the present to see the potential for blue skies ahead? Or are you able to recognise that a current streak of good fortune on the scoreboard is only papering over deeply embedded cracks that will eventually bring your club down?

Unfortunately, history shows us that many of the decision-makers at club level over the years have been more influenced by the level of criticism or praise they receive in the mainstream media, social media and fan forums. Self-interest is a killer. Too many decisions are made by way of knee-jerk reactions, or emotional responses to wins and losses. Too many decisions are made in search of quick-fix solutions. Way too often, an impatience or lack of personal resilience to criticism and pressure is a major influence on crucial decisions.

The success of any organisation begins with leadership. As Jack Gibson once said, “Winning starts in the front office.”

For me, the basics of success are leadership, communication, relationship building, motivation, teamwork and honesty in self-appraisal.

Establishing the DNA of your organisation. Recognising what it truly is, or should be. Building it. Respecting it. Nurturing it. Then future-proofing it. Developing tomorrow’s champions with your club’s DNA embedded in them.

Before a club sacks a coach, they must first be honest enough to admit whether they themselves have contributed to the team’s struggles.

It’s the leadership of the club that provides the environment where the other basics of success are respected and nurtured.

The quality of communication in an organisation is crucial to building relationships based on honesty and trust. Relationship building is such an important part of the foundations that make your club resilient.

Motivation that is real and understood. Motivation that is regularly monitored and discussed. Motivation is the reason why we do the things we do.

Understanding the mechanics of building a team. Understanding the importance of teamwork. Understanding the power of the team that helps individuals perform at their absolute best because they are part of the team. Respecting and acknowledging every member of your organisation for the role that they play, no matter how big or small that role may be.

Honesty in self-appraisal is about being accountable and taking ownership of your own performance. Regularly auditing your performance. Attention to detail. Not cutting corners. Not making excuses. Making contributions to the program and seeking feedback. Helping others, because when they do their job well, it will help you do your job better.

Not hiding within the team, within the club, within the structures. Not riding through on the performances of your buddies. Recognising, recruiting and rewarding good people. Accepting setbacks and losses as part of the process towards success. Learning from failure to build knowledge, resilience and a better way of doing things. Never getting beaten the same way twice.

Now, if the leadership of any football club can provide an environment where all of the above is being respected; if the leadership of the club understands what is needed for real and sustainable success, and is providing these resources to the head coach and players of the day, then the leaders of a club are entitled to expect, in fact demand, great results.

When your fans look at your jersey and your club logo, what do they feel? What do they believe? What do they expect?

What are the words that people use to describe your club right now? What are the words you would like them to use? The things you want people to feel, believe, expect and say about your club will only happen if that’s the way you present your club, every day.

Now, before a club sacks a coach, they must first be honest enough to admit whether they themselves have contributed to the team’s struggles.

If the club is failing in the manner in which it delivers a clarity of its purpose, its duty of care to all coaches, players and staff; its provision of resources, or the education and development of its people, then the club should first be getting its own house in order, before delivering the coach's head on a stick to the wild-eyed fans and media.

When the club has done everything possible to assist the coach and players to be the best they can be, and they are convinced the results being achieved are less than what they and their fans deserve, and that these results are being negatively influenced by the efforts or expertise of the head coach, then they are entitled to make the cut and bring in someone more deserving of the role.

Until then, harden up, stick together and never give up.

c70709a77ff1890f06e07d7ebe9bc2bea0b0c70e

Phil Gould
Phil Gould is a League Columnist for The Sydney Morning Herald

MOST VIEWED IN SPORT

Thanks for posting Denis

Coffs dragon

Bench
I don’t even bother to read all this spin involving our Peanut coach. After 7 years , He’s got his footprints and fingerprints all over the mess that has us sinking towards the spoon.
It’s like covering up for a Trump.......they are both a f.ckin disaster and need to GO!

possm

Coach
Thanks for posting Denis
Mary designs the game plan and manages the bench replacements. Two of the main reasons our team performs poorly on field. Many on here say he has the final say on recruitment/retuntion so again this has a huge influnence on our squad and salary cap.

Gus should have recommended that Mary ge sacked but dodged the hard stuff for unprofessional reasons. I used to listen to his opinion but he has lost me now.

ViceVersa

Juniors

Michael Carayannis, The Sunday Telegraph
June 6, 2020 4:57pm

Paul McGregor needs to step out of the backroom and get more hands-on with the Dragons.

This was the key recommendation The Sunday Telegraph can reveal out of Phil Gould’s secretive off-season review into St George Illawarra.

In recent years McGregor had distanced himself from what the players were doing on the training paddock. Gould told the club McGregor needed to get his hands dirty and to stop spending as much time on video and instead work one-on-one with his squad.

The coach listened — upping his involvement by as high as 80 per cent during the most recent off-season after hovering around 20 per cent the previous year.

The highly-talked-about Gould review took place after the Dragons’ disastrous 15th-place finish in 2019. McGregor is now fighting for his job just three games into the new season.

Club bosses had planned to give the under-siege mentor up to 10 games this year to decide if they would stick with him.

The 52-year-old in his sixth full season as coach and only sits behind Nathan Brown and Roy Masters for most games coached in St George and St George Illawarra history.

A loss to Canterbury tomorrow at Bankwest Stadium would naturally hasten any moves to spear him. Dean Young would step-up to fill the void in the short term as the club explored options.

Dragons hierarchy aren’t convinced Shane Flanagan is their next coach even if he is given an early clearance by the NRL. Some would consider appointing a Young-Wayne Bennett combination should the wily supercoach exit the Rabbitohs at season’s end.

Local products Jason Ryles and Craig Fitzgibbon also have their supporters at the Dragons.

Gould spent about four weeks over September and October interviewing players, staff and detailing his findings. He was not paid and offered to come on as after being approached by McGregor and then chief executive Brian Johnston, and the majority of his findings were implemented in the off-season.

Johnston would not comment when contacted by The Sunday Telegraph. The document has never been shared, instead passed on verbally among players, staff and Dragons management.

The review was not to make a judgment of McGregor’s coaching future because the Dragons board had done that already when they opted to give McGregor a two-year extension last April. That offer was worth about $1.4 million — slightly less than his previous contract — and came off the back of McGregor’s only finals win the previous season and an innuendo at least one Sydney club was circling.

Instead, Gould’s review was about setting McGregor up for success and then leaving the rest to him.

The players largely stood behind McGregor, although some of that support has wavered in recent weeks, highlighted by Tyson Frizell’s move to Newcastle and Jason Saab’s demand for an immediate release.

During the review, some players hinted McGregor could be clearer in his messaging — and you could argue that confusion is on show with his merry-go-round of selections at fullback to start this season.

While Gould was complimentary about the coach, he did not hold a similar judgment on some of the Dragons’ highest-paid stars. One in particular had his attitude blasted by the two-time premiership mentor.

Gould also questioned the leadership of the players and criticised the club’s decision to part ways with its previous leadership coach. They have since engaged Gerard Murphy of Leadership by Design.

Gould wanted the club to appoint a coaching director. In lieu of that, he told the board that McGregor needed to be surrounded by a different support staff. He needed an “educator” and an “experienced” coach.

Premiership-winning coach Flanagan came on board as one of McGregor’s assistants, along with ex-teacher and former Newcastle assistant coach James Shepherd. Young remained an assistant.

It has been the second major review done under McGregor’s watch. The first one was at the end of 2016 and again resulted in changes to key staff to bolster support for the coach.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...g/news-story/b24b9df56714c1905db18dd3ee34a29d

So Gould’s main findings were:

the Head Coach needs an experienced coach and an educator to support him.

It is amazing the lengths McGregor and the Board will go to, to justify maintaining McGregor as coach.

He has told the fans more than once he had the squad he needed.

Last year the club finished 15th.

We have lost a huge percentage of our last 20 games.

The only person left from constantly replacing staff in the football department is McGregor.

McGregor and the Board share one common trait. Neither accepts accountability for abysmal decision making and performances.

f**k off the lot of you.

getsmarty

Immortal
Michael Carayannis, The Sunday Telegraph
June 6, 2020 4:57pm

Paul McGregor needs to step out of the backroom and get more hands-on with the Dragons.

This was the key recommendation The Sunday Telegraph can reveal out of Phil Gould’s secretive off-season review into St George Illawarra.

In recent years McGregor had distanced himself from what the players were doing on the training paddock. Gould told the club McGregor needed to get his hands dirty and to stop spending as much time on video and instead work one-on-one with his squad.

The coach listened — upping his involvement by as high as 80 per cent during the most recent off-season after hovering around 20 per cent the previous year.

The highly-talked-about Gould review took place after the Dragons’ disastrous 15th-place finish in 2019. McGregor is now fighting for his job just three games into the new season.

Club bosses had planned to give the under-siege mentor up to 10 games this year to decide if they would stick with him.

The 52-year-old in his sixth full season as coach and only sits behind Nathan Brown and Roy Masters for most games coached in St George and St George Illawarra history.

A loss to Canterbury tomorrow at Bankwest Stadium would naturally hasten any moves to spear him. Dean Young would step-up to fill the void in the short term as the club explored options.

Dragons hierarchy aren’t convinced Shane Flanagan is their next coach even if he is given an early clearance by the NRL. Some would consider appointing a Young-Wayne Bennett combination should the wily supercoach exit the Rabbitohs at season’s end.

Local products Jason Ryles and Craig Fitzgibbon also have their supporters at the Dragons.

Gould spent about four weeks over September and October interviewing players, staff and detailing his findings. He was not paid and offered to come on as after being approached by McGregor and then chief executive Brian Johnston, and the majority of his findings were implemented in the off-season.

Johnston would not comment when contacted by The Sunday Telegraph. The document has never been shared, instead passed on verbally among players, staff and Dragons management.

The review was not to make a judgment of McGregor’s coaching future because the Dragons board had done that already when they opted to give McGregor a two-year extension last April. That offer was worth about $1.4 million — slightly less than his previous contract — and came off the back of McGregor’s only finals win the previous season and an innuendo at least one Sydney club was circling.

Instead, Gould’s review was about setting McGregor up for success and then leaving the rest to him.

The players largely stood behind McGregor, although some of that support has wavered in recent weeks, highlighted by Tyson Frizell’s move to Newcastle and Jason Saab’s demand for an immediate release.

During the review, some players hinted McGregor could be clearer in his messaging — and you could argue that confusion is on show with his merry-go-round of selections at fullback to start this season.

While Gould was complimentary about the coach, he did not hold a similar judgment on some of the Dragons’ highest-paid stars. One in particular had his attitude blasted by the two-time premiership mentor.

Gould also questioned the leadership of the players and criticised the club’s decision to part ways with its previous leadership coach. They have since engaged Gerard Murphy of Leadership by Design.

Gould wanted the club to appoint a coaching director. In lieu of that, he told the board that McGregor needed to be surrounded by a different support staff. He needed an “educator” and an “experienced” coach.

Premiership-winning coach Flanagan came on board as one of McGregor’s assistants, along with ex-teacher and former Newcastle assistant coach James Shepherd. Young remained an assistant.

It has been the second major review done under McGregor’s watch. The first one was at the end of 2016 and again resulted in changes to key staff to bolster support for the coach.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...g/news-story/b24b9df56714c1905db18dd3ee34a29d

Thanks for posting...spin machine in overdrive.

ViceVersa

Juniors
Thanks for posting...spin machine in overdrive.

No worries.

Btw, since outline.com doesn't work anymore, there are ways to bypass the paywall of articles. Search 'Anti-Paywall' on Github - download and drag & drop the file on Google Chrome Extensions in Developer Mode. Doesn't work on mobile device. It's just a Chrome Extension that just needs to switch on before you click on an article, and you switch it off when you're finished. It mangles the browser requests or something. Works on many news sites.

possm

Coach
I'm sure opposition NRL clubs would rather we appoint Dean Young as interim coach than Shephard. If Dean Young is appointed as interim coach you can put your money on the extension to follow. If Shephard is made interim coach it will more than likely that Flanagan will follow as head coach.

Will Craig Young obstain from voting when it comes to the replacement of Mary as head coach?

BLM01

First Grade
So Gould’s main findings were:

the Head Coach needs an experienced coach and an educator to support him.

It is amazing the lengths McGregor and the Board will go to, to justify maintaining McGregor as coach.

He has told the fans more than once he had the squad he needed.

Last year the club finished 15th.

We have lost a huge percentage of our last 20 games.

The only person left from constantly replacing staff in the football department is McGregor.

McGregor and the Board share one common trait. Neither accepts accountability for abysmal decision making and performances.

f**k off the lot of you.
I wonder what videos he was watching while or the poor assistants and players do the training

getsmarty

Immortal
I'm sure opposition NRL clubs would rather we appoint Dean Young as interim coach than Shephard. If Dean Young is appointed as interim coach you can put your money on the extension to follow. If Shephard is made interim coach it will more than likely that Flanagan will follow as head coach.

Will Craig Young obstain from voting when it comes to the replacement of Mary as head coach?

Close to the money...he is in the frame.