What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bomber Morris Issue

Chimp

Bench
Agreed. But the implication surely must be that be that we have a wasted/lost a helluva lot of our cap capability, on top of the cap fine already in play. And doubled!

Bomber had to sort out a fair bit of mess left behind in the wake of Flanno's ban. I still love Flanno and still dirty at the club *cough Barry Russel cough* for throwing our only premiership-winning coach under the bus, but it hasn't been a clean slate for Bomber. Roll on 2021. This year will be good for experience.

I agree Bomber could have tweaked the psychology of his comments slightly for a slightly enhanced impact. I disagree that it's having any kind of substantial impact beyond this forum storm in a teacup.
I get the storm in a teacup comment, but in professional sport, the difference between success and failure is so small, and little things like language used can have an impact on mindset within the team. So, whilst it might not have a massive day to day impact, hearing the coach trot out excuses around squad fitness rather than simply endorsing the ‘next man up’, does open potential for thoughts of self doubt within the squad, or even just an acceptance that ‘we’re not going to be at our best because player X is missing’.

Quicksilver

Bench
Tbh who has been injured often this year that are better than who they were replaced with?

Moylan? he hasn't been great in any role anyway. Kennedy is prob better at fullback and costs a tenth of the price. he also never amounted to anything in the halves. All of Moylans replacements are prob better. This is not vintage Moylan, this 1 hammy Moylan that can barely run.

Xerri? he isnt paid much anyway. Dugan is better. Ramein on par

Chad? we all know my stance on Chad. Trindall has shown more promise, even Tracey

Fifita? This is not vintage fifita. Woods and Uele have easily replaced him

Even if all of the above were fit the entire year, how much difference would it have made?

A fit Moylan is far superior to Kennedy. Although we haven’t seen it for a while there is a reason why he’s on the money he is.

Fifita was probably close to the best forward in the world when he was signed.

We also lost Josh Morris.

and it doesn’t really matter how good we think they are now, it’s the amount of money they were taking up in the cap and the performance we are getting in return. Them being bad doesn’t automatically make the replacements good. Many of the replacements are either not good or not quite ready.

Quicksilver

Bench
I get the storm in a teacup comment, but in professional sport, the difference between success and failure is so small, and little things like language used can have an impact on mindset within the team. So, whilst it might not have a massive day to day impact, hearing the coach trot out excuses around squad fitness rather than simply endorsing the ‘next man up’, does open potential for thoughts of self doubt within the squad, or even just an acceptance that ‘we’re not going to be at our best because player X is missing’.

What about this though- the coaching staff know many players are 12 months off being ready for regular first grade. They are underdone and not yet at the strength and size benchmarks. They are being overpowered in contests.

If they tell the players they are sweet and it’s obvious they aren’t it’ll be pretty clear to the players they aren’t up to it. There’s a potential loss of trust there. But alternatively if they say they’re still 12 months off and to trust the process, they might end up better off mentally.

MilkShark

First Grade
A fit Moylan is far superior to Kennedy. Although we haven’t seen it for a while there is a reason why he’s on the money he is.

and it doesn’t really matter how good we think they are now, it’s the amount of money they were taking up in the cap and the performance we are getting in return. Them being bad doesn’t automatically make the replacements good. Many of the replacements are either not good or not quite ready.
Yeah I understand that mate.

My point is only that our best 17 is not exactly our highest paid players. Some of them are done and dusted

Chimp

Bench
What about this though- the coaching staff know many players are 12 months off being ready for regular first grade. They are underdone and not yet at the strength and size benchmarks. They are being overpowered in contests.

If they tell the players they are sweet and it’s obvious they aren’t it’ll be pretty clear to the players they aren’t up to it. There’s a potential loss of trust there. But alternatively if they say they’re still 12 months off and to trust the process, they might end up better off mentally.
Players individual performance, strengths, weaknesses, areas for development should be dealt with 121 - they should absolutely know exactly where they stand, but that also shouldn’t detract from the fact our first and foremost thought should be that it’s an opportunity for them to come in and show how they’ve developed and try take ownership of the shirt.

Old tiger 79

Juniors
His been saying the same piss poor excuses all year. At same stage he has to make himself accountability?

carinashark

First Grade
The same piss poor excuses? Are u kidding me. Look what he has had to deal with this year, and look where we are on the ladder. It’s his job he has to get up there and do the presso and interviews. He is the coach Morris is accountable, his head is on the block much more than anyone in the team.

I like Bomber but I’m also on record saying that he was 3 or 4 years off the pace to becoming a 1st grade coach.
That time will be up at the end of next season, does he deserve an extension? Maybe.
I think the club should delay any extension until about 10 rounds in next year.
Look at the coaches available after next year, besides Morris and Flanno, there is Bellamy, Bennett (not that these two would do it), Fitzgibbon and maybe Paul Green.
Our youngsters will be well blooded in by then, and a lot of the older crews contracts are up.
I’m pretty sure it is much more inviting to be coaching a team that is in a position like us compared to the rabbles that represent the Dogs and the Goons.

Tiger Shark

Bench
I like Bomber but I’m also on record saying that he was 3 or 4 years off the pace to becoming a 1st grade coach.
That time will be up at the end of next season, does he deserve an extension? Maybe.
I think the club should delay any extension
until about 10 rounds in next year.
Look at the coaches available after next year, besides Morris and Flanno, there is Bellamy, Bennett (not that these two would do it), Fitzgibbon and maybe Paul Green.
Our youngsters will be well blooded in by then, and a lot of the older crews contracts are up.
I’m pretty sure it is much more inviting to be coaching a team that is in a position like us compared to the rabbles that represent the Dogs and the Goons.

Bennett and Bellamy? - mate wake up. Absolute zero chance they come here.

Fitzgibbon turned down the Dragons , a club where he played as a junior and still lives. Also he’s a rookie coach. Why would we dump Morris for another rookie.

Flanno and Green are the only choices you’ve suggested who are realistic and makes sense. Have they confirmed the Broncos coach yet?

Might just be Flanno remaining. Which we can all agree might raise concerns and doesn’t guarantee us anything. His team post 2016 and his recruitment left a lot to be desired.

Bennett and Bellamy? - mate wake up. Absolute zero chance they come here.

Fitzgibbon turned down the Dragons , a club where he played as a junior and still lives. Also he’s a rookie coach. Why would we dump Morris for another rookie.

Flanno and Green are the only choices you’ve suggested who are realistic and makes sense. Have they confirmed the Broncos coach yet?

Might just be Flanno remaining. Which we can all agree might raise concerns and doesn’t guarantee us anything. His team post 2016 and his recruitment left a lot to be desired.
I was just making a point about them being off contract, look who was off contract this year in comparison, and I did say not that they’d ever do it in regards to B & B

Fitz has been assistant for 8 years now, that’s a long enough apprenticeship, Morris had one or two years as an assistant, big difference. I think Flanno did 8 or 9 years, so did O’Brien.
If Green doesn’t get the Donks gig I’d put it down to 4.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade

A fit Moylan lol....as much as I love Fifi....time to move these two on. Getting SFA for our 1.6 mill.

Eion

First Grade
Realistically, it comes down to retaining bomber or getting flange back for mine.

of course, assuming bennett and bellyache are off the table.

Id rather see flange back than go for Green, I dont get the wraps for him.

And I’d retain bomber over any of the young bucks running around, I don’t see them as an upgrade.

all depends how we finish this season and start next though.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Realistically, it comes down to retaining bomber or getting flange back for mine.

of course, assuming bennett and bellyache are off the table.

Id rather see flange back than go for Green, I dont get the wraps for him.

And I’d retain bomber over any of the young bucks running around, I don’t see them as an upgrade.

all depends how we finish this season and start next though.
I get the feeling the Flange ship has sailed in regards to the Sharks. ..he will have no problem getting a gig once his ban is up. Young Flange can eat a bunch of dicks too.

taipan

Referee
I get the feeling the Flange ship has sailed in regards to the Sharks. ..he will have no problem getting a gig once his ban is up. Young Flange can eat a bunch of dicks too.

Think the word is :Tainted.
Flange could end up at an expansion club like Brisbane 2.
IMO Bomber is doing reasonably with the cattle we've got.We need a Tamou type in the forwards who can lead the younguns, and one decent experienced penetrator in the backs/halves who can also defend.Or a decent defensive coach added to the roster.
We have a couple of pensionable senior players ,who are well past their prime.

Eion

First Grade
I’m going on record to say I don’t want any Flanagan back. That includes Stuart. f**k them
Yeh I get the sentiment.

Flange cocked up monumentally more than once....but he also won us a comp.

I would never say never.