What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Dragsters

First Grade
Griffin alluded to more than football issues....make of it what you want....sad to see him go, but whispers have been there for a while. Wish Matty Dufty all the best except for when he plays against us....hope he has a great remainder of the year.

I'm pretty certain Hook came out again to clarify that there were no off field issues and it was ALL football related.

He went on to state that Matt was a fine person...

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I'd have him higher than that, but not significantly higher. Draw a line under Nicoll-Klokstad everyone above that is an elite fullback, all the skills. Draw another line above Watene-Zelezniak - everyone below that has serious weaknesses as a fullback. Dufty is in the middle group, which includes players still learning the position or like Dufty do some things brilliantly but still have some shortcomings.

I don't disagree that Walsh and Holmes have far more upside than Dufty, but what's the point? They don't play for us. We won't be signing any of the elite fullbacks. Without Dufty, our only option is to try someone new and hope.
As I have said there is obviously a money stalemate. He will not budge on what we are willing to offer. Market value is quite low as you yourself acknowledge. They would probably rather start from scratch than pay overs. We are already paying good coin for Hunt, Lomax and DeBelin plus we have a few players that clubs won’t be paying the final year in their deal so we don’t really have money for paying overs anymore. If our halves actually did their job ie Sullivan starting and reaching his potential we may not need such an attacking fullback. I personally have seen some good signs from Ramsey. But I’m looking for positives not waiting for a drop to say I told you so. He will get over that just like Rava and his light stepping, flick passes and speed will all come to the fore once he gets confidence using them in first grade. Is he the answer? I don’t know but it’s way too early to rule him out. All the coaching staff have seen something most people on here haven’t so I’ll leave it there. Long story short Dufty is gone, Ramsey is here long term, let’s support him.

Matt is a scintillating attacking player.

His attacking ability is undoubted.

He has been better under the high ball recently.

Matt’s defence is ordinary. I hope it improves but in the end it’s all about attitude and belief.

If we aspire to being a top 4 side, we need someone better.

This applies to several positions including 6 and 7.

Griffin will need some time to build a contender.

Peanut was given 7 long years.

Suggest we give him at least 2 full seasons before we castrate him.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
As I have said there is obviously a money stalemate. He will not budge on what we are willing to offer. Market value is quite low as you yourself acknowledge. They would probably rather start from scratch than pay overs. We are already paying good coin for Hunt, Lomax and DeBelin plus we have a few players that clubs won’t be paying the final year in their deal so we don’t really have money for paying overs anymore. If our halves actually did their job ie Sullivan starting and reaching his potential we may not need such an attacking fullback. I personally have seen some good signs from Ramsey. But I’m looking for positives not waiting for a drop to say I told you so. He will get over that just like Rava and his light stepping, flick passes and speed will all come to the fore once he gets confidence using them in first grade. Is he the answer? I don’t know but it’s way too early to rule him out. All the coaching staff have seen something most people on here haven’t so I’ll leave it there. Long story short Dufty is gone, Ramsey is here long term, let’s support him.
Seriously? We don't need an attacking fullback? Look at the ladder. All the top 8 sides have attacking fullbacks. Even us.

It's not obvious to me that it is a money stalemate. Dragons haven't made Dufty an offer. It's not about Dufty not budging, we haven't offered anything. I have no doubt Ramsey will improve. Once he does, what then? We release him for costing too much money and replace him with the next promising junior? Can't see us playing finals footy anytime anytime soon based on that strategy.

BLM01

First Grade
Yes the same type of article. All having their guess scratching their head. The club knows that is all that matters for now but one other Small aspect of his game for me which I have been critical is the reluctance in avoiding collision in attack or even willingness to try and burst through tackles and putting his body on the line in defence. In fairness Cody has to improve his attack from the backfield
Matt knee thus was contract year and has played slightly better in his weak areas this year but not often enough and that’s what’s frustrating. The media and some commentators ...they only need to see 1 game to make profound statements
I wish him well at his next club.

Matt is a scintillating attacking player.

His attacking ability is undoubted.

He has been better under the high ball recently.

Matt’s defence is ordinary. I hope it improves but in the end it’s all about attitude and belief.

If we aspire to being a top 4 side, we need someone better.

This applies to several positions including 6 and 7.

Griffin will need some time to build a contender.

Peanut was given 7 long years.

Suggest we give him at least 2 full seasons before we castrate him.

Slackboy72

Coach
It’s obvious the club have moved on but a certain No.6 named Lockyer was always crap in defence for the Broncos and Queensland and Bennett always protected him with a production line of good big defenders. Still does the same tactic today for Cody Walker. Dufty isn’t Lockyer but he’s the best attacking player in the team currently.
He's definitely our best 5/8.
Why we insist on him playing out of position to accomodate a certified plodder is what confuses me.

getsmarty

Immortal

Broncos join four-team hunt for Dufty — and he’s not the only Dragon they’re after​

Matthew Dufty of the Dragons is on the move.
Matthew Dufty of the Dragons is on the move.Source: Getty Images
Staff Writers from Fox Sports
June 4th, 2021 7:05 pm
Brisbane is reportedly preparing to make St George Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty a serious offer, after he tore the Broncos apart with two tries and five assists in a Thursday night bloodbath at Kogarah.
The 25-year-old has been the Dragons’ best player this season but has been told by the club he won’t be getting a new contract at year’s end, leaving him unemployed in November.
It puts Dufty in the crosshairs of rivals and the Courier Mail reports four clubs are interested in his services.

The Broncos are in that race and the Queensland newspaper says CEO Dave Donaghy has been in contact with Dufty’s agent, Clinton Schifcofske.
The Red Hill club looks set to ramp up the chase after watching Dufty run rings around their players on Thursday, including embarrassing current Broncos fullback Jamayne Isaako for one of his two tries.
6000 AND COUNTING: Frustrated Dragons fans launch petition to re-sign Matt Dufty

NOWHERE TO GO: Dufty was outrageous vs Broncos. Still his NRL prospects are grim

Dazzling Dufty catches Broncos napping!

Dazzling Dufty catches Broncos napping! | 00:34

It also follows the Broncos missing out on signing Melbourne’s rising star Nicho Hynes, who this week signed with Cronulla from next year.

“The Broncos are certainly an option for him, he’s a free agent and he is looking at all his options,” Schifcofske told the Courier Mail.

“We have spoken about Brisbane being a club that may need a fullback so that presents an opportunity for him.

“There’s no rush. He is a bit disappointed but he will back himself on the open market... a few clubs have expressed interest.”

Dragons fans have launched a petition begging the club to re-sign Dufty.

Meantime, Sydney Morning Herald journalist Christian Nicolussi reports the Broncos are also in the market for Dragons winger Jordan Pereira.

Brisbane lost young flyer Xavier Coates to Melbourne from next season.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
These are a list of Current Fullbacks in the NRL off the top of my head... Where do people think Dufty Ranks amongst these..

Ie - who is he better than....

Mine are in order

Trbojevic
Tedesco
Tuivasa Scheck
Papenhuyzen
Mitchell
Gutherson
Ponga
Nicoll-Klokstad
Brimson
Hynes
Laurie
Kennedy
Edwards
Allan
Walsh
Holmes
Watene Zelezniak
Hoy
Isaako

I may have missed a few, apologies.

For me - and i'm honestly not being vindictive or smart - he'd sit around Walsh/Holmes.. Walsh is only new and has incredible talent, no doubt will rocket up the charts next year. Ie Walsh has far more upside IMO than Dufty.

I can only rank confidently rank him above Hoy, Isaako, and possibly Watene Zelezniak.

We currently have the best collective quality of fullbacks I can recall. Maybe he does need a positional shift....
If I were to break it up into 2 parts, on recent performances in attack I would have Papenhuyzen at 3, Dufty 4 and Tuivasa Scheck 5. In defence Dufty somewhere near the bottom.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
At least with Dufty attack we get a score to defend. Without him we don’t get points and our defence will need to be near perfect to win a game.
It's probably the third game he has won for us this year without him tonight we lose to win you need to score tries who will get them next year when he goes.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
There has to be more to this than just on field performance.

never understood why he hasn’t had a chance in the 6. What was the risk? It’s bloody Norman in there

he will get another gig.
Mills I shudder to think of Norman getting another gig...but your probably right.......decisions of which are some of the reasons we have been dormant for 10 years

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
W
Seriously? We don't need an attacking fullback? Look at the ladder. All the top 8 sides have attacking fullbacks. Even us.

It's not obvious to me that it is a money stalemate. Dragons haven't made Dufty an offer. It's not about Dufty not budging, we haven't offered anything. I have no doubt Ramsey will improve. Once he does, what then? We release him for costing too much money and replace him with the next promising junior? Can't see us playing finals footy anytime anytime soon based on that strategy.
We need an attacking fullback but if our halves pulled their weight we wouldn’t need him to be out chief playmaker. Playmaking ability is great but not at the expense of the fundamentals. Players like Hynes have a better passing game than Dufty imo, he just isn’t required to carry the attack as the other players all do their part. Also we don’t know if it is Ramsey, he could have an overseas guy, Folau or any number of options we don’t know about. All I’m saying is whoever it is maybe not death ride them so much.

Latest posts