What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers v Broncos

Halves are much more important than the centres. Yeah, Burton has been killing it at centre, but we aren’t beating the Melbourne storm with May at 7.

Gotta risk it to get the biscuit.
I appreciate it is the perceived wisdom that Burton is better than May in the halves, but is that right? Burton has a better running game and kicking game, but he creates little for those outside of him. I think last week May looked good and with Luai back I was very happy for Burton to go back to centre. I would like to see us getting him involved more in the kicking though.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I appreciate it is the perceived wisdom that Burton is better than May in the halves, but is that right? Burton has a better running game and kicking game, but he creates little for those outside of him. I think last week May looked good and with Luai back I was very happy for Burton to go back to centre. I would like to see us getting him involved more in the kicking though.
May has played 1 ok game this entire season and it took a very average team to be down to no one on the bench.

BxTom

Bench
May has played 1 ok game this entire season and it took a very average team to be down to no one on the bench.
Burton does a great Luke Walsh impression - even Ivan Cleary criticised him for not taking on the line. Burton's kicking game has length, but no tactics. Burton is better at center than half. As a half, he contributes very little. If May had a kicking game, he would be as good as or maybe better than Burton in the halves. But neither is a replacement for Cleary/Luai.

Burton does a great Luke Walsh impression - even Ivan Cleary criticised him for not taking on the line. Burton's kicking game has length, but no tactics. Burton is better at center than half. As a half, he contributes very little. If May had a kicking game, he would be as good as or maybe better than Burton in the halves. But neither is a replacement for Cleary/Luai.
I agree with this broadly, but I would just add that Burton is still quite young and improving. I imagine he will be a substantially better half than May, but given we aren’t going to reap the fruits of any development of his, I think May is the better short-term option (with Burton centre).

I also agree he hadn’t shown anything to suggest he will be a better half than Luai or Cleary. Would love him to stay with us as a centre/edge back-rower but if his heart is set on playing half (and best of luck to the kid if it is, I wish him well) I don’t doubt our decision one bit.

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree with this broadly, but I would just add that Burton is still quite young and improving. I imagine he will be a substantially better half than May, but given we aren’t going to reap the fruits of any development of his, I think May is the better short-term option (with Burton centre).

I also agree he hadn’t shown anything to suggest he will be a better half than Luai or Cleary. Would love him to stay with us as a centre/edge back-rower but if his heart is set on playing half (and best of luck to the kid if it is, I wish him well) I don’t doubt our decision one bit.

For me. Burton at this stage in his career has enough holes in his game to be a 50/50 better for the side at 6 or 3.

So it is a toss of the coin job but we really need to get the backline sorted. So having him at centre makes sense for building combinations up.

If Cleary was out long term then Burton would be a no brainer and Momo centre. That would give Burton time to develop a partnership with Luai.

This right here would be a very concerning statement for any Bulldogs fan who’s pinning their hopes on Burton to turn their fortunes around.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Burton is a gun and will be a very good half. He's been played out of position all year and partnered with May. I have no doubts over his future

The_Frog

First Grade
How nice it would be to just have top quality replacements for the two NSW halves hanging around getting splinters in their bums. What other clubs have such a luxury? I note Parra have Jake Arthur at 7 this week in place of the injured Moses. Is he significantly better than either of our back up halves, one of whom is a pretty good centre and the other a pretty good utility?

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Also with Burton back at centre, defence suddenly looks heaps better. Naden is just too hit and miss when defending.

Kilkenny

Coach
Also with Burton back at centre, defence suddenly looks heaps better. Naden is just too hit and miss when defending.
I really think Brent Naden got an underserved reputation around that Roosters game at the end of the regular season last year. He was a regular fixture in our side that went on a huge winning streak, unparalleled in the modern era, only to be discarded on the back of one performance. I can’t help but feel he was made a scapegoat of the back of that game and then of the back of that he stuffs up big time using recreational drugs which is largely unforgivable. Despite the one Warriors try on the weekend where you could accuse him of a poor read I thought he played really well.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I really think Brent Naden got an underserved reputation around that Roosters game at the end of the regular season last year. He was a regular fixture in our side that went on a huge winning streak, unparalleled in the modern era, only to be discarded on the back of one performance. I can’t help but feel he was made a scapegoat of the back of that game and then of the back of that he stuffs up big time using recreational drugs which is largely unforgivable. Despite the one Warriors try on the weekend where you could accuse him of a poor read I thought he played really well.
I like the guy but it was more than 1 read last week

Crashtest

Juniors
He sad several bad reads in defence. We were lucky the Warriors are a poorly coached side. A good coach would of had them running at Naden all game.

Kilkenny

Coach
I like the guy but it was more than 1 read last week
Where’s the balanced argument thou Smug.

Im not a huge stats orientated fan but he ran for terrific metres, his carries far exceeded certain others in the backline. Two of Charlie’s three carries were catch and score, but he did nothing else. Brent has become the fall guy since Jack moved on. You and others see it differently to me, I think he offers something and you and others don’t.

franklin2323

Immortal

2 of his misses were right on their line. Another issue was a High tackle that led to their 1st try

Doesn't always lead to try but lets the pressure off. Very similar to a few games last year

Smug Panther

First Grade

Im not a huge stats orientated fan but he ran for terrific metres, his carries far exceeded certain others in the backline. Two of Charlie’s three carries were catch and score, but he did nothing else. Brent has become the fall guy since Jack moved on. You and others see it differently to me, I think he offers something and you and others don’t.
I've said over and over Ivan choked by dropping him in the finals last year and without the idiotic coke thing last year I'd have had him start at centre for us in 2021 but what's done is done

Kilkenny

Coach
I've said over and over Ivan choked by dropping him in the finals last year and without the idiotic coke thing last year I'd have had him start at centre for us in 2021 but what's done is done
100%. I agree it has been done to death and pointless debate. All going well on the injury front he will be surplus to requirements in our quest to make back to back GFs.

DinkyDi

Juniors

Naden's bender before the grand final was not a good look for him. Also, Naden is 25 and Staines is 20. Staines will outshine Naden, hopefully.

Kilkenny

Coach
Naden's bender before the grand final was not a good look for him. Also, Naden is 25 and Staines is 20. Staines will outshine Naden, hopefully.
He’s outshining Naden now I guess. Charlie’s played every game this season Brent has played once. Brent has a new club in 2022 hope he does well and hopefully our own Charlie delivers on the faith that the club has put in him.

Latest posts