What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Couple of weeks ago thought Marata was pretty replaceable and the least important one to sign.

I was definitely wrong, think with the quicker game, he is more suited to it. Pretty mobile and good defender. Plus can play edge / middle.

I also think Matterson is fairly underrated….

lucablight

First Grade
Couple of weeks ago thought Marata was pretty replaceable and the least important one to sign.

I was definitely wrong, think with the quicker game, he is more suited to it. Pretty mobile and good defender. Plus can play edge / middle.

I also think Matterson is fairly underrated….
I think Matterson is overrated atm. He has the ability to be one of our star players but he’s not very influential for someone who is a big name signing.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think Matterson is overrated atm. He has the ability to be one of our star players but he’s not very influential for someone who is a big name signing.
That’s the thing. He isn’t an elite player, but some expect him to be. He is just a very good NRL player.

He does his job pretty good. And the fact we never complain about him stuffing up (or is ever mentioned as a scapegoat), shows how decent he is in his role.

however keeping him obviously depends on what he wants…

lucablight

First Grade
That’s the thing. He isn’t an elite player, but some expect him to be. He is just a very good NRL player.

He does his job pretty good. And the fact we never complain about him stuffing up (or is ever mentioned as a scapegoat), shows how decent he is in his role.

however keeping him obviously depends on what he wants…
What’s wrong with expecting him to be an elite player when he was pushing for origin selection a few years ago and is one of our big name signings?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What’s wrong with expecting him to be an elite player when he was pushing for origin selection a few years ago and is one of our big name signings?
He's going as well as he was when we signed him from the Tigers. Just not as well as last year. Head knocks are probably affecting his form. They will probably affect his price next contract.

lucablight

First Grade
He's going as well as he was when we signed him from the Tigers. Just not as well as last year. Head knocks are probably affecting his form. They will probably affect his price next contract.
I would say he’s an above average player at the moment but has the potential to be elite with his skill set. He wouldn’t be in our top 3 forwards right now.

hindy111

Post Whore
I don't see Matterson as rep level, so we shouldn't pay big bikkies to re-sign. Up to $600K seems fair, if he gets a bigger offer elsewhere then best of luck to him.

He was playing rep level when come back from injury. Was in great form. Suspension come at a bad time.
I'd rate our forwards as follows

1. RCG
2.Jnr
3.Papa

Could toss a coin on these 3 abovr

4.Matterson

Not far off the above 3 and if in form as good.

5.N.Brown
6.Marata

On their day can be as good as all of them but I feel just behind the group. Not a whole lot between our best 6 forwards.

Next group

7. LANE
8. KAFUSI
10.CARTWRIGHT

People hate on Lane but it is where I rate him. Kafusi is still very inconsistent for me. Come next year he could jump into the top 5. Cartwright also has the talent but 27 soon. I reckon he is what he is. Wont ever get pass that 7-10 on order.

11.Stone
12.Hipgrave
13.Greig
14. Makatoa

Greig is only one who might become something. The rest are ok fill ins.

hindy111

Post Whore
Our attack looks better on the right edge when he isn't there

I'd prefer this as my starting pack

Rcg -50
Jnr - 50
Papa - 80
Marata - 80
Matterson - 70

N.Brown - 50
Kafusi/W.Smith
Cartwright - 50
Lane -40

We would need 70 mins from the bench. We could squeeze that from 2 x forwards.3rd gives us some cover already. The numbers stating what each forward is capable of playing without performance dropping a whole lot.

For me it's between W.Smith of Kafusi. Cartwright is our only genuine edge forward. You could argue Lane,Marata,Papa,Matterson are as good or better in middle. So we have the middle covered.
What does Kafusi bring other then taking minutes of these guys? W.Smith may add nothing but the insurance of a guy who can play Fullback,Centre,Halves, Hooker makes it worth it.
If Lussick went down or Gutherson we'd be toast.

yy_cheng

Coach
What do you guys think of two hazes on the wings next year

He has speed and foot work

He a fullback and should be good under the high ball

He reminds me of a young rts