What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Knight Tales

Juniors
Happy for Dobbo. If his coaching is as good as his playing IQ we will be fine. He had a habit of going to SL clubs who were struggling and turning them around. He saved Wigan from relegation and if my memory is not totally shot, did something similar at Salford.

perverse

Referee

2 tries and an assist for KPP, first 2 highlights and then the very last one
It's hard to deny his obvious talent and natural athleticism... but god the superleague sucks at defence. He'll need to keep developing to be a success down here, he's not the finished product.

He does have all the tools and attributes you want in a project though.

Woosh

Head Moderator
He was the little-known halfback thrust into the limelight for six top-grade games back in 2014 by Newcastle Knights coach Wayne Bennett when Jarrod Mullen was injured.

Now Michael Dobson, the former Junee Diesel junior who spent the bulk of his playing career in the English Super League, is poised for a shock return to the club almost a decade later, this time in a senior coaching role.

Dobson 36, will join the Knights coaching staff next season as a replacement for departing assistant Willie Peters, with confirmation of his appointment expected in the coming weeks. Peters is headed to England to coach Hull Kingston Rovers.
The choice of Dobson by Knights coach Adam O'Brien will no doubt raise a few eye-brows among Knights fans who were expecting the club to opt for another senior assistant with NRL experience following the departures of Anthony Seibold and Peters within the space of 12 months.
Instead, it's believed O'Brien sees Dobson, whose playing career in England ended at Salford less than five years ago, as the perfect development coach to mentor the club's younger players and get them ready to play in the NRL.

As part of his new transition and pathways role, Dobson will assist with the NRL squad and also coach the Knights' NSW Cup side in 2023. Current Cup coach Mark O'Meley is expected to be in charge of one of the club's junior teams.
Dobson, who played 285 top grade games in England and Australia, the bulk of them [153] at Hull KR, has spent the past few seasons at Queensland Cup club Wynnum Manly.

Currently, he is the club's academy manager and coach of the Seagulls' Colts side, which won last season's premiership and are on track to go back-to-back this year.

It's understood he was poised to take over as Wynnum Manly's Q. Cup coach next season before landing the Knights gig.

Dobson will join current assistants Rory Kostjasyn, Blake Green and Eric Smith in the coaching ranks with club legend Andrew Johns set to continue in a part-time consultancy role in 2023.

Hoy deal in jeopardy

There is speculation utility back Tex Hoy's reported deal with English Super League club Hull is about to fall through after the Knights knocked back a request for an immediate release.

Hull's Australian coach Brett Hodgson wants Hoy right away to replace ex-Bulldogs and Tigers five-eighth Josh Reynolds, who has been granted an early release on medical grounds by the club.

But the Knights have blocked any move for Hoy to leave early, citing Ponga's Origin commitments and concussion dramas along with the season-ending injury to young fullback Bailey Hodgson as the reason.

That decision could prove costly for Hoy, with Hull now said to be looking elsewhere for Reynolds' replacement.

Tied to the Knights on a development deal, Hoy played just his fifth NRL game this season against the Titans last night and is not contracted for next year.

Knights coach Adam O'Brien didn't rule out the possibility he could be re-signed after the win over the Titans.

Hodgson told the English media during the week: "It's tough to call. It's 50/50 if I'm brutally honest. There's a number of factors. Whether or not it happens with us and his management, we'll see how it goes."
Asked what he likes about Hoy, Hodgson said: "I like a number of things. He can cover a number of positions. He's got speed and we lack speed across the board at certain times. But again, he's just one player of many that we're having conversations about."
School stars on show

The Knights will have five players chasing higher honours at the Australian Schoolboys championships which kick off today and run until the finals on Friday at Redcliffe in Queensland.

Four players - Myles Martin, Ethan Ferguson, Caleb Garvie and Jeremy Trappett - will feature in the Under 18's titles while young Scone halfback Lachlan Hails will play in the Under 15's.

An Australian Schoolboys side will be chosen at the end of the tournament.
Thompson set to re-sign

Rookie Knights prop Leo Thompson is on the verge of securing a contract extension with the club beyond the end of 2023 after an eye-catching debut season in the NRL.

After playing just a handful of league games following a code switch, the former Kiwi rugby player, whose identical twin Tyrone plays Super Rugby for the Chiefs, linked with the Knights from Canberra on a development deal this season.

Kiwi cricketer's son joins Knights

Newcastle Knights have signed the teenage son of a former New Zealand Test cricketer.

Sebastian Su'a, an 19-year-old middle and edge forward from Auckland, will link with the club next season on a three-year-deal.

The 106 kg forward has both a league and rugby background and is expected to join the Knights' Jersey Flegg squad. Su'a is the son of Murphy Su'a, the first Samoan-born cricketer to play at Test level for the Kiwis.

A left-arm medium pace bowler, Su'a played 13 Tests and 12 one-day internationals for New Zealand between 1992 and 1995, figuring in the Kiwis' 92 ODI World Cup squad.

PhilGould

Bench
DOLPHINS WORST KNIGHT-MARE

Newcastle are threatening to blow the Dolphins out of the water after hatching plans to retain resurrected playmaker Anthony Milford.

Sport Confidential can reveal the Knights have tabled a new deal for the former Broncos’ $1 million man, who was thrown a lifeline by Newcastle in May after his contract collapse at South Sydney.

The NRL’s new franchise were considered raging favourites to secure Milford for 2023 given the five-eighth’s close ties to Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett, who mentored ‘Milf’ at the Broncos.

When Newcastle signed Milford to a six-month deal in May, it was viewed as a brief pit stop for the one-time Queensland Origin star before he reunited with Bennett at the Dolphins next year.

But now the Knights want Milford for at least another two years – and it’s understood the 27-year-old is seriously weighing up staying in the Steel City.

Milford has enjoyed the quieter lifestyle in Newcastle with the support of one-eyed Knights fans, as opposed to the pressure of being the highest-paid player at Queensland’s sporting flagship the Broncos.

Milford has recently put his Brisbane family home up for sale, fuelling suggestions he is eyeing a longer stay in Newcastle.

Bennett remains confident he will get his man, but the Dolphins face a tougher battle for Milford’s signature than first envisaged.

Knight Tales

Juniors
It would worry Bennett that Milford is yet to sign. I honestly thought he would sign with the Dolphins before he even arrived here. His court case may be weighing heavily on his need to get out of Qld.

Yosh

Coach
1. Ponga
6. Milf
7. Hastings
9. Brailey
14. Mann

Mann to only play 10 minutes either side of the break to give Brailey a break.

PhilGould

Bench
KNIGHTS EXTEND STAR ENFORCER

Newcastle fill-in skipper Tyson Frizell has extended his stay at the club. The ex-Kangaroos back-rower has told the club of his plans to take up an option to remain at the club for next season.

Frizell had an option in his favour to be a Knight next year. He joined the club on a guaranteed two year deal last season.

The 30-year-old still remains one of the best back-rowers in the competition and was part of the Blues’ extended squad for the series opener. He will captain the Knights on Friday night against South Sydney.

Knight Tales

Juniors

Newcastle fill-in skipper Tyson Frizell has extended his stay at the club. The ex-Kangaroos back-rower has told the club of his plans to take up an option to remain at the club for next season.

Frizell had an option in his favour to be a Knight next year. He joined the club on a guaranteed two year deal last season.

The 30-year-old still remains one of the best back-rowers in the competition and was part of the Blues’ extended squad for the series opener. He will captain the Knights on Friday night against South Sydney.

Excellent news.

Yosh

Coach

Fantastic news!

perverse

Referee
Milford has enjoyed the quieter lifestyle in Newcastle with the support of one-eyed Knights fans, as opposed to the pressure of being the highest-paid player at Queensland’s sporting flagship the Broncos.
Am I the only one that gets concerned when he reads this? Is that the reason we want people staying?

Jono078

Referee
Am I the only one that gets concerned when he reads this? Is that the reason we want people staying?
It’s a concern if that’s Milford’s thinking yeah.

I’d like to think he appreciates the chance we gave him and he’s enjoying being here and wants to now help us improve moving forward.

IF this seems like the easy way out while getting a nice enough contract then yeah I wouldn’t be for it. Felt the same when we signed Gagai. If he’s coming for a retirement pay and coast along then that’s obviously bad - which I don’t think he is to be fair.

We need to ensure who we recruit and retain are committed to the cause, which obviously is hard to do, but I guess that’s where we need faith in the club.

Yosh

Coach
The Milf is only 27. Retirement is far away yet. Hopefully he wants a redemption story. He has a lot of money in the bank and probably enjoys living in a quieter city.

We need him. Where will we get a half more talented than Milf? If we let him go, I bet we go hard for Brooks. I know who I prefer.

Anyone think Clifford sees out his contract with us?

With all the talks of us going hard to keep Milford, possibility of going after Brooks and the club putting the brakes on Hoy going to the ESL, Im finding it tough to find a position in the 17 for Clifford. I dont think he is or can be the organising 7 we need so that puts him a ways down the pecking order to play 6 in first grade

Real shame because i think at his best he is a damaging running 6 with a great boot but his head lets him down

Latest posts