What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons V Sharks Round 4

kit66

Bench
It was GI who used sowie as a speed hump. But sowie was a tuff player who just got up and continued to play. These days a bump on the head and you are on vacation for 11 days.
in the seventies if you didn’t get whacked on the head you were either a winger or ball boy. The game has gone too soft.
I think we will soon be watch touch footy in a few years time.

Some of the hits you see these days would have killed some of your 60's-80's tough guys. There's a difference between out and out thuggery and strength and power. No smokes at half time or amyl nitrate on the sideline, it's a little more scientific and holistic these days and player welfare has rightly earned a place in the modern game. Take out all the deliberate shit, minimize the accidental shit and maximize, strength, power, skill and pure athleticism. I used to watch old games form the 60's - 80's but got a little bored with all the bullshit they got away with as well as some of the rules - striking at the ball with your foot when someone is trying to play the ball fmd, glad that's gone, the time it took to pack a successful scrum, after several attempts (8 times a game) not to mention some very arbitrary penalties from those debacles.
I love a good clean game of footy 2020's style, nothing better and it's a still a spectacle skill-wise.

jodragon40

Juniors
Some of the hits you see these days would have killed some of your 60's-80's tough guys. There's a difference between out and out thuggery and strength and power. No smokes at half time or amyl nitrate on the sideline, it's a little more scientific and holistic these days and player welfare has rightly earned a place in the modern game. Take out all the deliberate shit, minimize the accidental shit and maximize, strength, power, skill and pure athleticism. I used to watch old games form the 60's - 80's but got a little bored with all the bullshit they got away with as well as some of the rules - striking at the ball with your foot when someone is trying to play the ball fmd, glad that's gone, the time it took to pack a successful scrum, after several attempts (8 times a game) not to mention some very arbitrary penalties from those debacles.
I love a good clean game of footy 2020's style, nothing better and it's a still a spectacle skill-wise.
To each their own

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Funny, i find the modern game way more boring in comparison. Defence one on one substandard; Power game now due to interchange and TV enforced rule changes; no competion in the ruck or scrums. Wonderful leg tacklers of the past now non existent apart from about half a dozen across the comp. Metres gained statistics (who gives a shit) has replaced the deft ball distributors. Trys are dominated by little grubbers kicks followed by 8 replays and average over commentary..Game is more vertical (ala touch football) where it used be more horizontal. I’ll swap a todays game for an afternoon “match of the day” at the SCG in 1970 any day of the week…..

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
Agree and this year we have Bronx Goodwin coaching KOE Cup and we are off to a shocking start

How did Bronx Goodwin get a gig coaching our reserves ? What qualifications did he bring other than his Birth Certificate. He also only played 32 games in first grade because he was crap. Did Teddy just get on the phone to Albert, "hey big fella, how's about a pouring a little gravy my way ".

jodragon40

Juniors
Funny, i find the modern game way more boring in comparison. Defence one on one substandard; Power game now due to interchange and TV enforced rule changes; no competion in the ruck or scrums. Wonderful leg tacklers of the past now non existent apart from about half a dozen across the comp. Metres gained statistics (who gives a shit) has replaced the deft ball distributors. Trys are dominated by little grubbers kicks followed by 8 replays and average over commentary..Game is more vertical (ala touch football) where as us to be more horizontal. I’ll swap an afternoon at the match of the day at the SCG in 1970 any day of the week…..
Me too me too

denis preston

First Grade
Knew it was a fullback. Yep I watched my first game in 1970 at SCG vrs the Rabbits. They were the days great teams tough as nails. Changa V Sims, they had a great pack including the recently passed John Sattler, Ron Coote who was one of the best tacklers I ever saw, John O' Neil, Walters at hooker. 2nd rowers McCarthy and Stevens. Our pack had Barry Beath and our famous half back/ fullback combo Billy Smith and Changa. We won 16 - 8 that day. Nowdays the games gone soft with a zillion interchanges, drs checking head knocks etc. Our coach that day was Jack Gibson. Ahh the memories
“ in my day “

jodragon40

Juniors
How did Bronx Goodwin get a gig coaching our reserves ? What qualifications did he bring other than his Birth Certificate. He also only played 32 games in first grade because he was crap. Did Teddy just get on the phone to Albert, "hey big fella, how's about a pouring a little gravy my way ".
It would appear so. On the Dragions news they actually say dragons royalty to coach KOE Cup team. I watched his dad play and his son wasn't a patch on him. I remember Lord Ted scoring an amazing try in the 77 GF against the Eels knocking himself out, he played on, these days he would have been hia for the rest of the GF. Now in my humble opinion that was one of the greatest tries in a GF. His son Bronx never reached those dizzying heights but the club still saw it fit to give him the gig

RedVee_8

Juniors
Knew it was a fullback. Yep I watched my first game in 1970 at SCG vrs the Rabbits. They were the days great teams tough as nails. Changa V Sims, they had a great pack including the recently passed John Sattler, Ron Coote who was one of the best tacklers I ever saw, John O' Neil, Walters at hooker. 2nd rowers McCarthy and Stevens. Our pack had Barry Beath and our famous half back/ fullback combo Billy Smith and Changa. We won 16 - 8 that day. Nowdays the games gone soft with a zillion interchanges, drs checking head knocks etc. Our coach that day was Jack Gibson. Ahh the memories
1970 is about the time of my first live match. I remember being near the grandstand when the players marched out and thinking how huge they looked in those white jerseys.

denis preston

First Grade
Spot on. Those advocating contested scrums have obviously forgotten how shit they were and how a ref had 5 ways to to give a penalty every time.

kit66

Bench
Funny, i find the modern game way more boring in comparison. Defence one on one substandard; Power game now due to interchange and TV enforced rule changes; no competion in the ruck or scrums. Wonderful leg tacklers of the past now non existent apart from about half a dozen across the comp. Metres gained statistics (who gives a shit) has replaced the deft ball distributors. Trys are dominated by little grubbers kicks followed by 8 replays and average over commentary..Game is more vertical (ala touch football) where as us to be more horizontal. I’ll swap a todays game for an afternoon “match of the day” at the SCG in 1970 any day of the week…..

Yeah, actualy I retract the last sentence of my post above (got a little carried away there). There are some games from the past that will likely never be bettered. There's aspects of the past that I love and some I hated - same with the modern game. Some of the recent rule changes I could do without, some just leave me scratching my head - like you kick a ball into touch 1 metre out from the opposition try line and instead of getting the advantage from a great kick, your opposition get handed the ball 10 metres out and 34 metres infield, it's like the old days when chicks were allowed to use the thick end of the pool cue (settle, let me finish) as a measure to move the ball off the cushion.
The Bulldogs and Parra of the 80's for example were magnificent beasts to be sure but some of cheap shots and thuggery of those days were just so unnecessary and has rightly been cleaned up. That's basically what I'm saying.

justadragon

Bench
I have no idea what his background in coaching is but if he doesn't turn things around in KOE cup soon we will have massive issues just like we had when Aitken was coaching. There is absolutely no connection between KOE and NRL atm and that spells a lot of trouble.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
1970 is about the time of my first live match. I remember being near the grandstand when the players marched out and thinking how huge they looked in those white jerseys.
RV8, the best memory for me from that era and a little earlier was being in the Sheridan Stand at the SCG and watching this growing line of white jerseys with the big Rev V emerge from the home dressing room. Hard to reproduce the excitement I would feel at that moment these days. I don't blame anyone for that but the lesson is you have to enjoy those great experiences in life while you can because none ever last forever.

steerlerbab

Juniors
Word is out that the board has asked Hook to reapply. They are going to interview other candidates (apparently Ryles is their first choice - used to play for us - now assistant at Melbourne). The way this usually plays is in the next few weeks Hook will be probably be negotiting to leave early and get paid off. Based on this development, I see the team struggling this season.

The board should have kept this until round 10 to see if the team is a chance to play finals!

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I was impressed with Josh Kerr on the weekend and even the weekend prior. On the weekend he ran 148m and 62pcm in 28 mins. The play the ball speed on average was 2.7seconds. Hope the big fella keeps performing and adding some grunt in the forward pack coming of the bench. I was never a big Kerr fan but if he keeps going like that I surely will be.
Yes Im quietly confident that if Kerr can keep his focus he may go allright this year....unlike you I was a Kerr fan but his performances disappointed.......as for his play the ball speed if he doesnt start touching the ball with his foot hes going to get pinged before to much longer.....having said that it doesnt appear to be policed as much of late

jodragon40

Juniors
Word is out that the board has asked Hook to reapply. They are going to interview other candidates (apparently Ryles is their first choice - used to play for us - now assistant at Melbourne). The way this usually plays is in the next few weeks Hook will be probably be negotiting to leave early and get paid off. Based on this development, I see the team struggling this season.

The board should have kept this until round 10 to see if the team is a chance to play finals!
We won't be playing semi finals football again this season under this coach unless we are able to play those 2 young props signed from the silvertails then perhaps just perhaps

blacksafake

First Grade
Yes Im quietly confident that if Kerr can keep his focus he may go allright this year....unlike you I was a Kerr fan but his performances disappointed.......as for his play the ball speed if he doesnt start touching the ball with his foot hes going to get pinged before to much longer.....having said that it doesnt appear to be policed as much of late
It’ll only apply to us his playing of the ball.🤬

Latest posts