What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Billythekid

First Grade
Y’all are complaining a lot but what did PR say that wasn’t true?

Also I won’t lie I wouldn’t mind if we took less origin games interstate. Personally it takes a bit of a shine off the series and it doesn’t feel as personal. The novelty has worn off too.

Pneuma

First Grade
Y’all are complaining a lot but what did PR say that wasn’t true?

Also I won’t lie I wouldn’t mind if we took less origin games interstate. Personally it takes a bit of a shine off the series and it doesn’t feel as personal. The novelty has worn off too.
I travel with a bunch of mates for origin and I’d never consider anywhere but Brisbane or Sydney. Nice to be in a real footy city.

yakstorm

First Grade
Let's wait till Wednesday night to see if the match is a success or failure first before criticising Adelaide.

There has been many an Origin, including in Brisbane, where there has been 10,000 seats to move this far out and come kick off, it's pretty much full.

That said, even if the NRL don't move that many more seats, Adelaide will make the biggest profit of the 3 matches. The Government grant, plus high ticket prices plus the strong corporate sales and generous Stadium deal guarantees that.

Giving Adelaide the opening game was always going to be harder to sell, same the shift back to Wednesday after most neutral matches were on a Sunday.

Let's wait till Wednesday night to see if the match is a success or failure first before criticising Adelaide.

There has been many an Origin, including in Brisbane, where there has been 10,000 seats to move this far out and come kick off, it's pretty much full.

That said, even if the NRL don't move that many more seats, Adelaide will make the biggest profit of the 3 matches. The Government grant, plus high ticket prices plus the strong corporate sales and generous Stadium deal guarantees that.

Giving Adelaide the opening game was always going to be harder to sell, same the shift back to Wednesday after most neutral matches were on a Sunday.

I would be concerned if everything sold out weeks in advance.

Basic economics: if it sells out fast, you set the price too low.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee

All fair points. I recall Origin 1 in 2014 and Origin 1 in 2017 were hard sells at Suncorp - the pricing was ludicrous then though, and actually worse than today.

Adelaide folk have been gearing up for putrid weather next week too.

The commercial benefits are never denied, I just hate the thought of it looking a poor crowd in an oval ground. I will always think that 60k+ at Homebush is a better look than 40k at Adelaide Oval. Anyway, hopeful for 50k plus still. Maybe both teams can talk some shit over the weekend and get some punters keen.

Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 8.41.34 am.png

bazza

Referee
I'm definitely a fan of neutral games and agree that they make sense, just not every year IMO.
I think every 3 series is a good option to keep it a novelty e.g. Perth or Melbourne may only get the game every 6 years at most

Would also like to see them play the odd game outside of Brisbane/Sydney occasionally (e.g. Townsville, Newcastle) - even if it does mean a drop of revenue

BlueandGold

Juniors
Thursday, Turned the Tele on and to my shock i see a full crowd at Redcliffe ''Kayo stadium''.

This is what NRL clubs need to keep doing.

Dolphins have got the right game right stadium policy going well this year.

Full crowd and the viewers responded with well over 1m viewers.

Well done Dolphins.

Vibing

Juniors
Thursday, Turned the Tele on and to my shock i see a full crowd at Redcliffe ''Kayo stadium''.

This is what NRL clubs need to keep doing.

Dolphins have got the right game right stadium policy going well this year.

Full crowd and the viewers responded with well over 1m viewers.

Well done Dolphins.
Full crowds can be deceiving , I'd of rathered 20K at Suncorp anytime
but understand they agreed to play games at their spiritual home , so the ones they've selected so far have been the most appropriate I guess

Iamback

Coach
but is he wrong?

As I said recently, RL is treated with disdain in SA. Having something like Origin is a great 'first base' option, but it was always going to be a hard sell mid-week, only two-1/2 years after last one, jacked prices and then dumbarse promos digging at AFL.

I hope the NRL smash the promos in the next week and we go close to a full-house...surely we are willing to learn from the AFL and realise that public perception and first impressions matter. Im going with mates cos we were offered 2-for-1. Id say we will see a lot of that in the coming days. Also heard giveaways on radio, etc.

As long as we go close, it should still be deemed a success. Yes, Origin is a premium event...but the NRL's attitude towards selling it as such is just as important as expecting a new audience to try it out.

Exactly why selling the GF won't sell out.

If 2 State load of fans won't fill it than 2 club fan bases are no chance

Iamback

Coach
All fair points. I recall Origin 1 in 2014 and Origin 1 in 2017 were hard sells at Suncorp - the pricing was ludicrous then though, and actually worse than today.

Adelaide folk have been gearing up for putrid weather next week too.

The commercial benefits are never denied, I just hate the thought of it looking a poor crowd in an oval ground. I will always think that 60k+ at Homebush is a better look than 40k at Adelaide Oval. Anyway, hopeful for 50k plus still. Maybe both teams can talk some shit over the weekend and get some punters keen.

View attachment 74718

Even a full crowd you will see plenty of grass, ovals are terrible for rectangle sports