What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

Colk

First Grade
Why are you pretending that the Titans' financial predictament is tied with the amount of teams thaat are in Brisbane?

The corporate sector in Brisbane will never back the Titans because the team and its fans represent a different market. You could limit Brisbane to just one team and its corporate sector still wouldn't touch the Titans. Nor would people from Brisbane travel up to two hours to Robina Stadium every fortnight to support a team from a rival city. All you're doing is looking for a reason to justify your biased position.

If the business sector on the Gold Coast isn't large enough to support the Titans then relocate them to Perth. Brisbane shouldn't be punished for the shortcomings of a team from another market.

You want expansion teams in new markets, but you don't want NSW to sacrifice anything to make it happen. Brisbane has to pay the price so NSW can retain its status quo and you can get what you want. I'm not signing up for that biased and inflammatory proposal because it treats the Brisbane rugby league community like second class citizens.

Maybe we should get rid of the Knights to make room for Perth?

Newcastle has been a financial basket case since 1988. I don't see you asking for Sydney to be rationalised for the betterment of Newcastle.

Spare me the emotional indignations and the accusations of bias mate.

You go on about somebody else projecting a biased position then proceed to offer a position without any sense of self reflection/self awareness. Btw your views are pretty nakedly biased considering the constant references to NSW and the amount of sides they have and how unfair that is.

Anyway, if we want to play the ball and not the man, then we can look at the reality of the situation. Now you or I or anyone else can argue that there are too many sides in NSW et al but the reality is that situation isn’t going to change (unless something drastic happens - which is unlikely)

As I stated on a few occasions now, I’m not against another Brisbane side (again spare me the bias accusations) I’m just against it being the next side. It’s not sensible and it is incredibly conservative in terms of strategy. The game should look at other areas for once and in 5 or 10 years time, go for your life and put another Brisbane side then.

Also, as others have noted I’m not a Newcastle fan. Again play the ball not the man.

Wb1234

Referee
based on what?
they have a state of the art new stadium, good revenue, solid crowds, N QLD produces many good juniors - some of which just embarrassed NSW's best last night... definitely not a dud club
On field performance since 1995

central coast produces lots of juniors too

and I don’t actually think they should be booted

no club should

You go on about somebody else projecting a biased position then proceed to offer a position without any sense of self reflection/self awareness. Btw your views are pretty nakedly biased considering the constant references to NSW and the amount of sides they have and how unfair that is.

Anyway, if we want to play the ball and not the man, then we can look at the reality of the situation. Now you or I or anyone else can argue that there are too many sides in NSW et al but the reality is that situation isn’t going to change (unless something drastic happens - which is unlikely)

As I stated on a few occasions now, I’m not against another Brisbane side (again spare me the bias accusations) I’m just against it being the next side. It’s not sensible and it is incredibly conservative in terms of strategy. The game should look at other areas for once and in 5 or 10 years time, go for your life and put another Brisbane side then.

Also, as others have noted I’m not a Newcastle fan. Again play the ball not the man.

You're yet to provide any evidence that it's "too soon" for a third Brisbane team. That's just a bullshit claim you've plucked out of your arse because you don't have an actual argument against a third Brisbane team.

You've also ignored the fact that the Brisbane Tigers have a far more advanced bid than anything coming out of New Zealand and Perth.

I'll say it again since it didn't get through the first few times. A third Brisbane team is hardly comparable to Sydney's nine. Only some one who doesn't understand basic maths and economics would say Brisbane 3 is equal to Sydney 9. On a per capita basis it's not even close to being equal. Financially, the Broncos and Dolphins are kicking the Sydney clubs' arses. You really don't have a reasonable argument, so just stop with the false equivalencies.

The odds of a Sydney club being relocated or wound up are slim to none. So too is the proposition of the ARLC creating a club in Perth or NZ from scratch and funding it for years, which is what will need to happen unless the WA or NZ Govs subsidises it. The odds of Perth or NZ2 being financially stable by 2028 without any assistance from the ARLC are slim to none. Either club will need to generate at least $10-15m from football operations because they won't have a pokie den to rely on.

I just scoured over the Dockers' annual report. In 2022 the club generated $8,192,514 in sponsorship revenue. In 2021 it was $5,663,438.

All on p30 of their report.

That's for an AFL team with 53k members in a parochial AFL city, playing its games out of a world class venue.

A Perth-based NRL team is not going to generate that sort of revenue playing out of Perth Oval in its current state, is it?

Get the WA Gov to upgrade Perth Oval and agree to sponsor a Perth-based NRL club for its first 10 years. Then it'll be a realistic contender for the 18th licence and an asset to the NRL. If we rush into Perth without attaining any assurances from the WA Gov and fail to upgrade Perth Oval then the club will struggle to survive. To be fair, the ARLC could have done all of this by now if they were diligent. They've sat on their arse and twiddle their thumbs despite the WA Gov being very supportive.

Do you really think it's realistic to expect the ARLC -- and the current 17 clubs that have a seat at the negotiating table -- to bankroll new teams from Perth and New Zealand?

Two things are certain.

1. The ARLC is not going to cull any clubs.

2. The ARLC is not going to prop up NZ2 and Perth like the AFL does with Gold Coast and GWS.​

You say it's "not sensible" to bring in a third Brisbane team any time soon.

On what basis can you make this claim?

On every key point the Brisbane Tigers are head shoulders ahead of Perth and NZ2. What's not sensible is saying we should overlook the Tigers' better credentials just because you don't feel the time is right for a third Brisbane team. Thankfully, the ARLC will judge each candidate by the strength of their business operations and infrastructure. They won't give a f**k about your concerns over it being "too soon". Judging by the ARLC's reluctance to go against the wishes of the broadcasters, it's "not sensible" to think they're going to go with NZ2 or Perth when Ch9 has already thrown their support behind Brisbane 3.

Last edited:
On field performance since 1995

central coast produces lots of juniors too

and I don’t actually think they should be booted

no club should

Dumb post.

Cowboys have made three grand finals and won one since 2005. They made the top eight between 2011-17. Last year they finished third. The club has played finals football in 11 of its 28 seasons.

Wests Tigers on the other hand...

Canard

Immortal
You're yet to provide any evidence that it's "too soon" for a third Brisbane team. That's just a bullshit claim you've plucked out of your arse because you don't have an actual argument against a third Brisbane team.

You've also ignored the fact that the Brisbane Tigers have a far more advanced bid than anything coming out of New Zealand and Perth.

I'll say it again since it didn't get through the first few times. A third Brisbane team is hardly comparable to Sydney's nine. Only some one who doesn't understand basic maths and economics would say Brisbane 3 is equal to Sydney 9. On a per capita basis it's not even close to being equal. Financially, the Broncos and Dolphins are kicking the Sydney clubs' arses. You really don't have a reasonable argument, so just stop with the false equivalencies.

The odds of a Sydney club being relocated or wound up are slim to none. So too is the proposition of the ARLC creating a club in Perth or NZ from scratch and funding it for years, which is what will need to happen unless the WA or NZ Govs subsidises it. The odds of Perth or NZ2 being financially stable by 2028 without any assistance from the ARLC are slim to none. Either club will need to generate at least $10-15m from football operations because they won't have a pokie den to rely on.

I just scoured over the Dockers' annual report. In 2022 the club generated $8,192,514 in sponsorship revenue. In 2021 it was $5,663,438.

That's for an AFL team with 53k members in a parochial AFL city, playing its games out of a world class venue.

A Perth-based NRL team is not going to generate that sort of revenue playing out of Perth Oval in its current state, is it?

Get the WA Gov to upgrade Perth Oval and agree to sponsor a Perth-based NRL club for its first 10 years. Then it'll be a realistic contender for the 18th licence and an asset to the NRL. If we rush into Perth without attaining any assurances from the WA Gov and fail to upgrade Perth Oval then the club will struggle to survive. To be fair, the ARLC could have done all of this by now if they were diligent. They've sat on their arse and twiddle their thumbs despite the WA Gov being very supportive.

Do you really think it's realistic to expect the ARLC -- and the current 17 clubs that have a seat at the negotiating table -- to bankroll new teams from Perth and New Zealand?

Two things are certain.

1. The ARLC is not going to cull any clubs.​
2. The ARLC is not going to prop up NZ2 and Perth like the AFL does with Gold Coast and GWS.​

On every key point the Brisbane Tigers are head shoulders ahead of Perth and NZ2. What's not sensible is saying we should overlook the Tigers' better credentials just because you don't feel the time is right for a third Brisbane team. Thankfully, the ARLC will judge each candidate by the strength of their business operations and infrastructure. They won't give a f**k about your concerns over it being "too soon". Judging by the ARLC's reluctance to go against the wishes of the broadcasters, it's "not sensible" to think they're going to go with NZ2 or Perth when Ch9 has already thrown their support behind Brisbane 3.
So what evidence do you have that a third team so soon after introducing a 2nd is not going to cannibalise the existing supporter base and sponsorship of the current SEQ teams?

So what evidence do you have that a third team so soon after introducing a 2nd is not going to cannibalise the existing supporter base and sponsorship of the current SEQ teams?

The likelihood of a third Brisbane team that represents Logan and Ipswich poaching fans and corporate support from the Broncos, Dolphins and Titans is as stupid and insane as your claim that it will kill the Cowboys. The other day you made the bullshit claim that the introduction of the Dolphins decimated the Cowboys' playing roster. Only one starting player from the Cowboys chose to join the Dolphins. The other two who left were outcasts and wanted more game time.

Dolphins represent Moreton Bay. Broncos are an established club with lifelong supporters. The Titans aren't even in Brisbane, so I'm f**ked if I know how the Tigers can hurt their finances and fan support on the Gold Coast.

Do you really think Titans fans from the Gold Coast are going to switch allegiances to the Tigers and travel up to 2 hours to Lang Park every fortnight?

You're just fear mongering and clutching at straws. People on here used the same bullshit argument about the Dolphins. Crowds are bigger and sponsorship hasn't declined. It's actually made the game stronger in SEQ.

mongoose

Coach

Two things are certain.

1. The ARLC is not going to cull any clubs.​

An NRL team isn't as expensive to run as an AFL team though. You also have no proof that a Perth team will need to be propped up by the ARLC, just speculation. You also have no proof that the ARLC wouldn't do it if they had to.
Brisbane 3 isn't expansion its more consolidation, the sport should be expanding into new markets.

Pneuma

First Grade
An NRL team isn't as expensive to run as an AFL team though. You also have no proof that a Perth team will need to be propped up by the ARLC, just speculation. You also have no proof that the ARLC wouldn't do it if they had to.
Brisbane 3 isn't expansion its more consolidation, the sport should be expanding into new markets.
100%

Pippen94

First Grade
I think the 18th team will be either Perth or a Second NZ Team. They want to branch into new markets to attract more eye balls - FTA and Pay TV - so they can extract more money out of FTA and Pay TV

A 3rd Brisbane based won't increase viewership - same number of folk watching will still be watching - just more games they can watch involving QLD Teams.

Then you can have the 2 conference system of 9 teams - either a cross over conference finals series and or a finals series in each conference and the two conference winners then play off super bowl style.

The beauty of the conference system is that all teams in each conference will play the same teams the same number of times.

No hard or easy draws.

Have to get an 18th team ASAP to get rid of the bye which is ridiculous in it's allocation - teams having their second bye when some teams haven't even had their first bye.

On another post someone was saying Both Brisbane and Souths will have their first bye in Round 16 - Titans will have had their third bye in round 16.

Ridiculous also that teams are playing other teams a second time without playing all teams once.

A Proper home and away/ away and home draw as well - not this play 2 or 3 home games in a row and then 2 or 3 away.

Yeah, those 6k watching in Perth or Melbourne are the big audience broadcasters are chasing

Pippen94

First Grade

If Perth relying on just sponsorship & game day then club will need to be bailed out. Ask titans

Pippen94

First Grade

Game needs to look at what is most lucrative & sustainable. Ur feelings on expansion are irrelevant.

Pippen94

First Grade
the NRL grant now makes a club almost anywhere viable, even the sports graveyard that is the gold coast

Imagine if tigers bid said "we'll never go bankrupt coz we get nrl grant"?! Perth rely on game day & grant. This is why NRL is not biting.

Latest posts