What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

Hellray

Juniors
Get a prop from Penrith's juniors.
Take a good one, a real prospect, from the enemy. That's what turns the H2H record around.
Funny you should reference the panthers, because apparently if Sele moves on we are signing Tyrone Peachy. (Clearly not the prop you wanted) not sure I’m a fan of this rumour as he doesn’t help with our needs

callmack1

Staff member
Former NSW playmaker could make surprise switch to Souths: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fo...urprise-switch-to-souths-20230726-p5drge.html

The only way I'd want to take Peachey, is if it was minimum wage or pretty close to it. Otherwise, it's a no from me. I think he's past it and can be a bit of a liability. Is he currently better than some of our depth options? Yea, maybe, but I just don't think it's worth it. Would much rather invest in guys like Munro and Karapani.

Taaffey pretty much confirmed to be gone now too, the club has been informed. Still not sure how to feel about that to be honest.

Anyway, there's a bit more stuff on the Charlie Rabbit movie,

Surprising Reggie Rabbit: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/surprising-reggie-rabbit

callmack1

Staff member
'It's backfired' - Shock claims in bitter CBA dispute as RLPA slammed over 'shambolic' boycott: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/e35a1bcc904f51bad959e679e6631faf

'Embarrasses himself' - RLPA boss torched over player jersey boycott as ugly pay war hits new low: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...o/news-story/c81100c1029cc71fe89c24889c92c901

Covering up the NRL logo on jerseys now? Honestly I'm just sick of this now. Absolutely sick of it. Grow up and sort it out FFS!!!! The fact that V'landys said he'd remove Abdo from negotiations if they removed Newton to try and come up with a solution, but that was rejected, just makes me more angry. Ridiculous!

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
'It's backfired' - Shock claims in bitter CBA dispute as RLPA slammed over 'shambolic' boycott: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/e35a1bcc904f51bad959e679e6631faf

'Embarrasses himself' - RLPA boss torched over player jersey boycott as ugly pay war hits new low: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...o/news-story/c81100c1029cc71fe89c24889c92c901

Covering up the NRL logo on jerseys now? Honestly I'm just sick of this now. Absolutely sick of it. Grow up and sort it out FFS!!!! The fact that V'landys said he'd remove Abdo from negotiations if they removed Newton to try and come up with a solution, but that was rejected, just makes me more angry. Ridiculous!
But Vlandys wants it his way or the highway. He is becoming like Trump. They, and their mouthpiece FOX and the Telegraph won't even discuss what the holdup is.
Read the RLPA website. Its very clear what they are asking for. They want the NRL to contribute to a fund to help players later in life, like our own Mario Fenech, but Vlandys refuses.
Its pretty common knowledge the NRL, FOX and the Telegraph are highly anti-union.
If the players weren't happy with Newton they'd vote no confidence in him. That hasn't happened.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Former NSW playmaker could make surprise switch to Souths: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fo...urprise-switch-to-souths-20230726-p5drge.html

The only way I'd want to take Peachey, is if it was minimum wage or pretty close to it. Otherwise, it's a no from me. I think he's past it and can be a bit of a liability. Is he currently better than some of our depth options? Yea, maybe, but I just don't think it's worth it. Would much rather invest in guys like Munro and Karapani.

Taaffey pretty much confirmed to be gone now too, the club has been informed. Still not sure how to feel about that to be honest.

Anyway, there's a bit more stuff on the Charlie Rabbit movie,

Surprising Reggie Rabbit: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/surprising-reggie-rabbit
No big loss, he can't make a tackle to save his life, and unless he learns, he will be on the bench, or in reserves at the Bulldogs too.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Another thing Vlandys is refusing to agree on is the appointment of an idustrial mediator to act as umpire in the dispute.
Why?
This is what happens, and what THE LAWS ask for in an industrial dispute between 2 parties - like the Industrial Relations Commission, or FairWork Australia.
Maybe the reason is because Vlandys doesn't want to be told what to do, or they are breaking industrial law, and of course, the Murdoch crime family will be backing him 100%

handyman2190

Bench
From what i have heard 95% of the points have been agreed upon, the sticking point is the rpla want POWER, to manage the millions the nrl put into the various funds.
I ask,why should they be in control of millions of dollars?
The nrl wants it to be a partnership,newton the egotistical dick is causeing all the trouble with cherry evans and a couple of near retirement players trying to feather their after football nests, i say screw them,this is their fault the rpla who is actually mostly funded by the nrl.

Callmack,
You hit the nail on the head with reference to Blake Taaffey being released.
He will most certainly become a top Halfback given the chance.:p
As usual the souths management can't see what is in front of their eyes.
The following is just some of the stupid errors our management have made in the past by letting the following players go ;
Ashley Harrison, Bryson Goodwin, Jason Clark, Chris Sandow, Luke Keary, Angus Crichton, Nathan Brown, ADAM REYNOLDS and now Taaffey. What is it about Halfbacks that Souths dislike?
Have been viewing this web site for more than ten years and love the opinions of those who have posted. This my first and last post so thanks to you Callmack for your work you do;)

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Callmack,
The following is just some of the stupid errors our management have made in the past by letting the following players go ;
Ashley Harrison, Bryson Goodwin, Jason Clark, Chris Sandow, Luke Keary, Angus Crichton, Nathan Brown, ADAM REYNOLDS and now Taaffey. What is it about Halfbacks that Souths dislike?
Have been viewing this web site for more than ten years and love the opinions of those who have posted. This my first and last post so thanks to you Callmack for your work you do;)
The salary cap at that time allowed the club only one of Chricton and Murray to be retained. They 100% made the right choice. And allowed us to bring through Kaeon who is also 100% better than Crichton.
The club chose Reynolds over Sandow which ended up being 100% correct with Reynolds guiding us to 13 years of leadership and a premieship.
Keary had a big mouth and started telling Rusty how to run the club, particularly when it came to Burgess. F...him.
Everyone else Souths have let go since has been a bust elsewhere, rxcept Reynolds, a decision I didn't agree with.
Are you a family member of Taafe?

handyman2190

Bench
The salary cap at that time allowed the club only one of Chricton and Murray to be retained. They 100% made the right choice. And allowed us to bring through Kaeon who is also 100% better than Crichton.
The club chose Reynolds over Sandow which ended up being 100% correct with Reynolds guiding us to 13 years of leadership and a premieship.
Keary had a big mouth and started telling Rusty how to run the club, particularly when it came to Burgess. F...him.
Everyone else Souths have let go since has been a bust elsewhere, rxcept Reynolds, a decision I didn't agree with.
Are you a family member of Taafe?
I agree with it all brother,i just wish we had given taafe a go at 7 before we let him go, ilias just hasnt kicked on

callmack1

Staff member
Callmack,
Thanks mate, appreciate that.

The only one on that list who really bothers me is Reynolds. The rest I think we made the right call.

callmack1

Staff member
From The Daily Telegraph, I can't find a link right now but I will when I can. Here is the article for now,

South Sydney have extended the contract of Jai Arrow as part of a stunning near $21.5 million spending spree designed to ensure the club remains a premiership contender for years to come.

Arrow is off contract at the end of next season but has agreed a three-year extension, believed to be worth in the vicinity of $2.5 million keeping him at the club until at least the end of 2027.

South Sydney have made a point of not letting their players be available to rival clubs by locking them down well before they are able to hit the November 1 open market.

South Sydney have now secured 10 players in the past eight months including high profile recruit Jack Wighton. All but one has played either state or international football.

Arrow, a Queensland star, is the latest signing in a retention and recruitment drive that began at the end of last season when South Sydney re-signed hooker Damien Cook for a further two years.

Jai Arrow is about to cash-in as part of South Sydney’s signing spree. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty

Jai Arrow is about to cash-in as part of South Sydney’s signing spree. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty

Five days later, they announced the twin signings of Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker - deals believed to be worth close to $6 million.

In the middle of March, they kept Tom Burgess for another season and then added Jacob Host for two more. Canberra’s Wighton was lured to Redfern at the end of April before Kangaroos centre Campbell Graham and prop Junior Tatola inked extensions in July.

Arrow is likely to be the next cab off the rank, although the Rabbitohs are also close to extending Keaon Koloamatangi for at least another three years.

Coach Jason Demetriou has also agreed a new deal which will keep him at the club until at least the end of 2026 with the club to announce his new contract in the coming weeks.

South Sydney's spending spree​

Dec 16
Damien Cook 2 years $1.5 million

Dec 21
Cody Walker 2 years $1.6m
Latrell Mitchell 4 years $4m

March 16
Tom Burgess 1 year $400,000

March 30
Jacob Host 2 year $600,000

April 27
Jack Wighton 4 years $3.3 million

July 17
Campbell Graham 3 years $2.5 million

July 26
Junior Tatola 4 years $2.6 million

Jai Arrow 3 years $2.5 million
Keaon Koloamatangi 3 years $2.5 million

TOTAL $21.5 million

Despite the good news, rival clubs have capitalised on South Sydney’s spending spree with the Dragons landing Hame Sele to the club on a three year deal. Sele will be incoming coach Shane Flanagan’s first signing as he officially inks a long-term deal to return to the club.

A St George junior, Sele was cut adrift by the club at the end of 2018 after playing 18 games. He spent one season at Penrith before revitalising his career at South Sydney.

The Rabbitohs wanted to keep him but the Dragons’ trumpeted South Sydney’s deal.

The Rabbitohs will also lose Jed Cartwright (Newcastle) and Blake Taaffe (Canterbury) at the end of the season. Liam Knight also left the club this week to join Canterbury.

Michel Chee Kam and Dean Hawkins remain off-contract at the end of the season.

callmack1

Staff member
Wow, wow, wow! What great news on Jai!!! Far out this is massive, I am so friggin happy to hear that as I was getting a bit worried we'd lose someone like him with all the players we're re-signing. But hats off to the club for doing it. Jai is one of our best forwards and will be for many years so I'm extremely happy to see this.

Keaon close to signing a three-year deal too!!! Far out, how good is this right now? Most of our team, certainly all our big stars, locked down until at least the end of 2025. Wighton coming next year too.

Anyone who says our recruitment and retention isn't any good, give yourself a big upper cut. Well done to the club.

Article also confirms Hame is gone though, which I am disappointed by. Love that bloke but I guess you can't keep em all and he has a young family, so he'd rightfully be looking for the best deal.

Very excited by all these re-signings lately!!!

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
From The Daily Telegraph, I can't find a link right now but I will when I can. Here is the article for now,

South Sydney have extended the contract of Jai Arrow as part of a stunning near $21.5 million spending spree designed to ensure the club remains a premiership contender for years to come.

Arrow is off contract at the end of next season but has agreed a three-year extension, believed to be worth in the vicinity of $2.5 million keeping him at the club until at least the end of 2027.

South Sydney have made a point of not letting their players be available to rival clubs by locking them down well before they are able to hit the November 1 open market.

South Sydney have now secured 10 players in the past eight months including high profile recruit Jack Wighton. All but one has played either state or international football.

Arrow, a Queensland star, is the latest signing in a retention and recruitment drive that began at the end of last season when South Sydney re-signed hooker Damien Cook for a further two years.

Five days later, they announced the twin signings of Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker - deals believed to be worth close to $6 million.

In the middle of March, they kept Tom Burgess for another season and then added Jacob Host for two more. Canberra’s Wighton was lured to Redfern at the end of April before Kangaroos centre Campbell Graham and prop Junior Tatola inked extensions in July.

Arrow is likely to be the next cab off the rank, although the Rabbitohs are also close to extending Keaon Koloamatangi for at least another three years.

Coach Jason Demetriou has also agreed a new deal which will keep him at the club until at least the end of 2026 with the club to announce his new contract in the coming weeks.

South Sydney's spending spree​

Dec 16
Damien Cook 2 years $1.5 million

Dec 21
Cody Walker 2 years $1.6m
Latrell Mitchell 4 years $4m

March 16
Tom Burgess 1 year $400,000

March 30
Jacob Host 2 year $600,000

April 27
Jack Wighton 4 years $3.3 million

July 17
Campbell Graham 3 years $2.5 million

July 26
Junior Tatola 4 years $2.6 million

Jai Arrow 3 years $2.5 million
Keaon Koloamatangi 3 years $2.5 million

TOTAL $21.5 million

Despite the good news, rival clubs have capitalised on South Sydney’s spending spree with the Dragons landing Hame Sele to the club on a three year deal. Sele will be incoming coach Shane Flanagan’s first signing as he officially inks a long-term deal to return to the club.

A St George junior, Sele was cut adrift by the club at the end of 2018 after playing 18 games. He spent one season at Penrith before revitalising his career at South Sydney.

The Rabbitohs wanted to keep him but the Dragons’ trumpeted South Sydney’s deal.

The Rabbitohs will also lose Jed Cartwright (Newcastle) and Blake Taaffe (Canterbury) at the end of the season. Liam Knight also left the club this week to join Canterbury.

Michel Chee Kam and Dean Hawkins remain off-contract at the end of the season.
Excellent.
The club keeps all the top players and cuts the driftwood.
Host seems overpaid but that is just my opinion.
When I get a chance and time I'm gonna put together a list of guys Souths cut, or didn't resign, and we will all be able to see what's what and what's not. But off the top of my head, from 2012:
Sandow
Crichton
George Burgess
Keary
Hiroti
McGuiness
Douehi
Allen
Talaki
Brown
Burns
Brown
Tracey
Su'a
Reynolds
The GOAT
Gagai
Nikorema
Taafe

And considrering either who they we replaced by, or who we already had that was higher in the pecking order, whose weeping about any of these, with the excepton of Reynolds?

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I agree with it all brother,i just wish we had given taafe a go at 7 before we let him go, ilias just hasnt kicked on
Yeah, I get where you are coming from, but at least Illias can tackle. How is Taafe gonna handle front rowers and edge towards absolutely targeting him, if he can tackle a winger or fullback in the open field or just outside the goal line?
And don't you think the coaching staff would have seen enough of him at training sessions to make that judgement call on whether he should be switched to the halves?
They had a perfect opportunity, and put in bloody Hawkins who was useless, and is useless.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Excellent.
The club keeps all the top players and cuts the driftwood.
Host seems overpaid but that is just my opinion.
When I get a chance and time I'm gonna put together a list of guys Souths cut, or didn't resign, and we will all be able to see what's what and what's not. But off the top of my head, from 2012:
Sandow
Crichton
George Burgess
Keary
Hiroti
McGuiness
Douehi
Allen
Talaki
Brown
Burns
Brown
Tracey
Su'a
Reynolds
The GOAT
Gagai
Nikorema
Taafe

And considrering either who they we replaced by, or who we already had that was higher in the pecking order, whose weeping about any of these, with the excepton of Reynoldss
add these names who left/got cut and went to other clubs (i.e. NOT retiring)
Pettyborne
Dave Taylor
Peats
Roberts
Starling
Dylan Walker
Api
Auva'a
Grevsmuhl
Gray
Hunt
Musgrove
Gosiewski
Fuimaono
Knight
Sironen
Amone
Mago
Paulo
Marsters

Only Api, and (arguably) Walker kicked on

I mean, if we are gonna question recruitment/retention, taking account of salary cap, to me looking at these 2 lists, they have done a pretty good job actually.
as I said, Reynolds is the ONLY exception.
and we discussed that one already for 6 months.

callmack1

Staff member
Hame Sele to depart the Rabbitohs at the end of Season 2023: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/hame-sele-to-depart-the-rabbitohs-at-the-end-of-season-2023

Confirmed now.

I'm pretty gutted to lose Hame to be honest. More gutted to lose him than I was with Nicholls (similar role in the team, similar loss). Just really like Hame. Honestly, I think he's one of the most unsung middle forwards in the comp on his day, he's that good. We're going to miss him.

Unfortunately, these things happen and he has become a casualty of our cap. We apparently tried our best but at the end of the day, couldn't match offers from the Dragons. Can't blame the club for that as Tatola, Arrow, Graham, Koloamatangi etc were probably priority and rightly so. can't blame Hame for getting the best deal for his family either.

We'll miss you Hame but all the best!! Thanks for everything you've done for our club.

Let's send him out with a ring on his finger!!