What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First coach sacked 2024

Wizardman

First Grade
*O'Brien is a contender as the Knights have a slow start in their make up. I somehow think he'll escape it though as I think a tougher contender in the list is ripe for the picking.
*I think there is no chance Hasler will get punted in his first year regardless of how the Titans are travelling.

I have two bolters to add to that list.

*Benji Marshall: I'd normally say a first year coach is no chance of getting sacked but with the Tigers being in a unique position of winning the last two spoons, Shane Richardson may not be in the mood to retain him if there is no improvement in the team. Keep in mind, Benji did coach the Tigers a lot through last year as well. I doubt he'll get punted but would not rule it out either.

*Trent Robinson: A massive bolter as he has a rising forward pack with lots of depth, two very good halves who for some reason have not quite gelled yet as well as some good backs. If that squad fails to make the 8 again, I think Uncle Nick will start to sniff around for a possible replacement. Make no mistake, as good as the Roosters squad are, Robinson does have a bit of pressure on him. I'd say he almost certainly won't be the first sacked......but would not rule him out of being sacked if the Roosters copy 2023.

The massive favourite for me is Ciraldo. He is in his second year in charge with a worse front row than he had in 2023. The Dogs will simply not make the eight with their front row rotation despite the millions of decent quality backs they have bought this year. It won't help if they don't have the cattle to take them up the field in the first place. Their halves are not great....but based on today, they could have had Andrew Johns and Wally Lewis in the halves, it would not have made a difference to the result today. I think Ciraldo and the Dogs are in very deep trouble.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Ciraldo

geraldo-rivera.jpg

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Payten not even a contender as North Queensland management are just happy to make up the numbers in the NRL.

Fact is he needs to make the finals or his four years are a complete waste.

Ciraldo in his 2nd year of a 5 year contract right?

No chance he gets sacked this year.

What a dumb contract to give an assistant coach. A 5 year contract to someone with no head coach experience. Flanagan would’ve been exactly what they needed. But Gould wanted the shiny new toy. Too bad it was made in China….

My favourite is O’Brien

I’m not sure the players who saved his bacon last season can be trusted to be consistent again this season. Although a winger Domenic Young was a real weapon for them last season and he has left the Club.

Demetriou missed the 8 last season. With Souths squad this season I reckon he needs to finish top 4 to keep his job.

Brad Arthur is the other one to keep an eye on. The Eels need to be looking like contenders otherwise he’s definitely gone.

2010Dragons

Bench
Andrew Webster with the Warriors team he has if they don't make the top 4 then he should resign or be sacked. Just look how they lost to the Sharks in round 1. Very bad coaching and tactics.

Knights would be reluctant to sack O'Brien after signing him to a contract extension earlier this year. Unlike the Bulldogs, they don't have the financial resources to be able to pay a big payout for a coach who will have 3 years left on his contract after this season.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Feel like there's not too many obvious choices this year.

A few new coaches in Flanno and Hasler, a few being extended and some you know the clubs are too stubborn or willing to change to make the right call.

I think if Tigers sh*t the bed then Benji could be in trouble with Shane Richardson on board now

soc123_au

Staff member
Knights would be reluctant to sack O'Brien after signing him to a contract extension earlier this year. Unlike the Bulldogs, they don't have the financial resources to be able to pay a big payout for a coach who will have 3 years left on his contract after this season.
That and they wouldn't know what name to put on the termination letter. Not sure "Dear non descript merkin" would stand up if challenged.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Benji is in no way safe imo. Richardson will be brutal. He didnt pick Benji, if we only win 1 or 2 games halfway through the year I think he'll cut his losses and use his connection With Bennett to bring him here for 2025.

Latest posts