What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tendulkar is a bad sport: Gilly

Meth

Staff member
why did you ignore the rest of my post?

why am I bound to not ignore the rest of your post?

But in the spirt of Christmas...

you know full well all the sh*t that has gone on with Indian crowds and players calling him a monkey yet you somehow feel you can call him one and expect people to pass it off as some innocent remark

I am not contesting that it is not a derogatory slur; I am contesting that it is not necessarily a racist remark, at least at my end. It is not automatically racist to say something derogatory about a black person.

I have never been called or referred to as a monkey before in my life. From my view, looking like a monkey is not a trait of people with dark skin, it is unique to Andrew Symonds.

If Andrew Symonds was white, he would still look like a monkey.

If Andrew Symonds was white, and it was pointed out that he looked like a monkey, you wouldn't be outraged, or at least you wouldn't be playing the race card.

Hypocritical racist!!

HevyDevy

Coach
Funny then Meth that the scoreboard in India posted that message reminding the crowd that racist remarks were unacceptable ...

Meth

Staff member
comparing facial expressions is what that picture is ... calling a dark skinned man a monkey is what you did ... racist

1) I think Bush looks a bit like a monkey

2) It isn't necessarily racist to call a dark skinned man a monkey. It would only be racist if his dark skin had something to do with the slur.

Why are you lot so precious?

Kids of all colors over in New Zealand get called 'cheeky little monkeys' all the time- they don't whinge about it.

You're so thin-skinned

Meth

Staff member
they have been deemed unacceptable by the ICC and the BCC

sure- whether they were racially motivated or not, they now carry that connotation thanks to the events in India.

But the ICC and BCC reacting to the incident and making that ruling doesn't make me a racist for holding my view

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, Ive had the same view

You just need to understand what you can and cant say.

Meth

Staff member
Yes.

With everything that happened, it would be unacceptable for the Indian cricket team or fans to call Symonds a monkey, especially given the ICC and BCC's ruling.

HevyDevy

Coach
That's where the problem was with Harby last year Meth - and the point that some in here refused to get. Of all the moronic things to say, harby knew he couldn't say that yet it seems that he did it anyway.

More disappointing was the reacton of the Indian team afterwards - changing their story, threatening to go home etc etc. It was childish and pathetic.

Meth

Staff member
That's where the problem was with Harby last year Meth - and the point that some in here refused to get. Of all the moronic things to say, harby knew he couldn't say that yet it seems that he did it anyway.

Sure thing.

Whether or not it was originally intended as a racist taunt, I think, is debatable.

The fact that is gained that connotation in not.

But as for me, I am removed from the context and the government of the ICC and the BCC- and I think that Symonds bears resemblance to a monkey

JJ

Immortal
ku-klux-klan.jpg

What's that, one from your family album?

_goParra

Juniors
Do you know what the word semantics means ?
Yes I know exactly what Semantics means.. I think you need to look it up. Let me throw in another word "Context"... look that up as well.

I cant believe you'e still trying to deny what you said.

Next you'll argue that black is white.

I clearly mentioned in my post that I was NOT denying anything I said. :crazy:

I am worried what you are going to throw up next... that I called Symonds a monkey :crazy:

Latest posts