What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

merahputih

Juniors
Unfortunately, the job criteria described in the club's media releases places an emphasis on defense and the description of Griffin's coaching style could have been lifted from the Mary coaching manual, even down to his uneven treatment of players.

Unfortunately, the job criteria described in the club's media releases places an emphasis on defense and the description of Griffin's coaching style could have been lifted from the Mary coaching manual, even down to his uneven treatment of players.
We don't need any also rans.
Griffin cannot win us a premiership for all the reasons you've stated.
We don't need more Coach's pets (Dugan, Aitkin, Lafai, De Belin, Hunt) and we don't need a boring footy philosophy based on defence.
Look at Souths and the kind of football they are playing.
Bennett./Demetriou combination is starting to shine. Attack and Defence in a cohesive unit.
Let's get off the mediocrity merry go round and hire some real coaching talent.

Dragon David

First Grade
It will be typical of us to have an interim head coach appointed as the head coach for 2021 and we will end up as wooden spooners. All of the other clubs which have interim coaches will be replaced by other guys and the interim ones would step down.

Craig Young taking time away from the head office during this period makes me extremely suspicious that his son will be the guy appointed to the position and Craig will say that he wasn't one of the decision makers (he will send his vote via text message).

If Dean is selected it will be a case of deja vu and further years of misery.

I certainly hope not for us fans sakes.

Gomarchin

Juniors
How Young could even be considered is beyond belief. He was assistant coach to MCWrekor for the last few years and was the defence coach in 2019 with the 2nd worst defence in 2019.

He takes over and we allowed the Broncos to play one of their best games and against the Titans we were hopeless. Yes we completed at around 90% but who cares when you do nothing with the ball.

Appointing Young means another 5-7 years of mediocrity.

If he truly loves this club he should not even consider being the assistant coach let alone HC.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If you guys havent listened to the podcast last week which featured an interview with Webb, he stated the criteria already known but did add that if a suitable person cant he found they will appoint someone and place the appropriate 'help' around them.

This is what scares me the most and why I think they will do everything possible to appoint Young. As DP has already said I too found it morecthan convenient the Young Snr stepped down from his perch on the Board. Smells like a decision was already made imo.

I truly hope this isnt true, but geez, there's nothing from the club to dismiss this either.

The bigger problem appointing Young will be can he attract players or even retain players, can he attract sponsorship and most importantly xan he attract members to sign on orceven renew. This is the big Q for Webb to answer.

ALSGI

Bench
If you guys havent listened to the podcast last week which featured an interview with Webb, he stated the criteria already known but did add that if a suitable person cant he found they will appoint someone and place the appropriate 'help' around them.

This is what scares me the most and why I think they will do everything possible to appoint Young. As DP has already said I too found it morecthan convenient the Young Snr stepped down from his perch on the Board. Smells like a decision was already made imo.

I truly hope this isnt true, but geez, there's nothing from the club to dismiss this either.

The bigger problem appointing Young will be can he attract players or even retain players, can he attract sponsorship and most importantly xan he attract members to sign on orceven renew. This is the big Q for Webb to answer.
ATM if Young’s in, I’m out for all the reasons you have said and guessing plenty others will be out as far as membership goes. I put the third amigo (Hornby) in the same class but at least he has gone to another system and will be far better off for it.

Interested to see what Young does with selection this arvo. He did say he’d think about making changes with the non performers in his presser. Let’s see.

What irks me the most about our club, McFail and even Young now is they rave on about training performances to justify selections and don’t act or talk about actual playing performances. Training and attitude is important but so is game performance.

Dragsters

First Grade

I reckon that's 5 big questions, potentially all with the same less than desirable answers.

Just sign Wane asap!

Coffs dragon

Bench

F.CK is my only reaction to this ludicrous scenario.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
What scares me is that the rumour I am hearing is that Saints will appoint someone in the next week or 2 on a 3 YEAR deal? Why 3 years? Looks like they have not learnt a thing. 2 years is ample. If anything I would go for 1 year and wait for 2022 has Flanno, Bennett, Bellamy, Fitzgibbon etc coming off contract. Wait for them. If the coach goes well in 2021 and gets Saints top 4 then give them extension.

They better at least put in performance criteria for each year.

Gareth67

First Grade
I would be absolutely disgusted if the bestards put yet another sly-one over we long suffering fans by anointing Dean Young as the new coach .

After waiting 7 long years to see the maestros departure , they believe that his sacking is enough to satisfy us ? And they then pull a swifty by placing a totally inexperienced CCup coach into the top job .

DON’T DO IT or it will be the end of all revenue from the fans on this occasion . The Joint Venture apparently does have money so there can be no excuses for the correct man not to be appointed .

Anything less will be absolute proof that they - the board simply do not give a damn about the Dragons on field success .

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
What scares me is that the rumour I am hearing is that Saints will appoint someone in the next week or 2 on a 3 YEAR deal? Why 3 years? Looks like they have not learnt a thing. 2 years is ample. If anything I would go for 1 year and wait for 2022 has Flanno, Bennett, Bellamy, Fitzgibbon etc coming off contract. Wait for them. If the coach goes well in 2021 and gets Saints top 4 then give them extension.

They better at least put in performance criteria for each year.

Simple,

No one with FG experience will take a 1 year deal with the mess and squad we have. If its a one year deal, you will end up with Young.

A 2 year deal with performance criteria and an option in the clubs favour is fine.

Whoever takes over will have a massive job. From recruitment / development and club culture. 1 year won't be enough, unless people are happy to wait 1 year under Young, and even then there is no guarantee that we get the coaches you mention especially if next year is another failure.

possm

Coach
I would be absolutely disgusted if the bestards put yet another sly-one over we long suffering fans by anointing Dean Young as the new coach .

After waiting 7 long years to see the maestros departure , they believe that his sacking is enough to satisfy us ? And they then pull a swifty by placing a totally inexperienced CCup coach into the top job .

DON’T DO IT or it will be the end of all revenue from the fans on this occasion . The Joint Venture apparently does have money so there can be no excuses for the correct man not to be appointed .

Anything less will be absolute proof that they - the board simply do not give a damn about the Dragons on field success .
Our Board members are not accountable to anyone but themselves. It is time for the NRL to act and involve fans in the running of the game.

Maybe ask all Clubs to renew their license with 50% of the ownership shares being sold to members. Only in this way would Clubs be accountable to their members.

Latest posts