What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion won't happen anytime soon

The Great Dane

First Grade
The other thing is, if a club goes into administration and can't operate an NRL team anymore, won't the NRL be in breach of their broadcast contract? How will they provide 8 games a week? Would this possibly lead them to bringing in Brisbane 2 or central coast or even Melbourne 2?
The NRL will just do what they did when the Knights, Titans, and Tigers were in trouble, take them over and prop them up until they can arrange new ownership.

The NRL has proven time and time again that they don't have the balls to force significant changes when it comes to the clubs, and I see no reason to believe that has changed.

flippikat

Bench
The NRL has an opportunity here. If Covid does strike down a Sydney club or two then it can offer that club bail out money if they relocate. Is it the best thing for the game? maybe not but it might be the only way expansion will happen. I have no idea which clubs are financially imperilled.

As far as "which clubs are financially imperilled", it seems to vary.. and I suspect a lot will hinge on exactly how Covid impacts on revenue streams.

NRL sides that depend on football club funding, will feel the pinch if the club premises can't be open for business continuously.. but there's also the privately owned clubs that might hit the rocks if their owners do some belt tightening & pull back THEIR funding.. or even decide to divest themselves of "vanity assets" like sports teams, in an attempt at personal austerity.

Perth Red

Post Whore
As far as "which clubs are financially imperilled", it seems to vary.. and I suspect a lot will hinge on exactly how Covid impacts on revenue streams.

NRL sides that depend on football club funding, will feel the pinch if the club premises can't be open for business continuously.. but there's also the privately owned clubs that might hit the rocks if their owners do some belt tightening & pull back THEIR funding.. or even decide to divest themselves of "vanity assets" like sports teams, in an attempt at personal austerity.

pretty much every club is going to be in pain. Loss of game day revenue, sponsors,mlc funding and owners whose own bu issues may be struggling are the harsh reality. Depends how quickly the LC’s can get the addicts back on the pokies will determine if any are at long term risk.

reanimate

Bench
IMO, the NRL & NSWRL need to take the lead here, as the clubs are unwilling to make the tradeoffs to do this. A re-draughting of Sydney may mean mergers, may mean relocations, may even mean demotion to 2nd tier for some clubs.. but until the question of "how best to organise Sydney?" is addressed, it's gonna be a confusing mess.
100%. It has to be something forced from the top. I wouldn’t demote any current clubs to second tier, just force mergers and relocations. The Bears situation (and their continued existence as a second tier team) is a horrific mess and it honestly would have been better if the NRL had forced the merger to stay in place or to completely kill off one club (or force a relocation interstate) and forcibly merge the NSWRL districts if the merger fell apart.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If we had an expansion team for every time one of the games leaders has said they’re considering it but it has to stack up we’d have a 24 club competition by now!

Perth Red

Post Whore
why I stopped holding my breath for expansion a long time ago!

Gallop 2011
"We will have a look at expansion. I have said over the past couple of months I would have thought that by 2015 the game will be moving from 16 teams to 18 teams."

Dave Smith 2013
“I’m really supportive and committed to Western Australia – it’s strategically important to us.
“The commission very clearly has said that we won’t consider growth until the end of 2014. There’s a lot of work to do in terms of just making sure we’re operating off a strong base, so we’re concentrating on that (until then).
“I think we’ll be ready around about that time, and quite clearly, Western Australia is a strong option.”

John Grant 2015
"We have provisions (in the free-to-air broadcast agreement) for a 17th team in Brisbane."

Peter Beattie 2018
The vision of the game is really simple; we have to expand,” Beattie said.
"We are in a very competitive environment for entertainment. You've got to be flexible and have a strategy.
"When you've got that level of competition you need to do that. The game needs to expand or it will die.”

Todd Greenberg 2018
I would like to see more teams across the competition. Our chairman Peter Beattie is on record saying you can't sit still and you should have aspirations to grow," Greenberg said.

Peter vlandys 2020
"Even though I'm a very strong supporter of a second team in Brisbane, it's got to be a strong business sense ..."There's no time set as to when we introduce a second Brisbane team. It might be a year away, two years away, three years away. But I stress again, the business case has to stack up."

flippikat

Bench

Gallop 2011
"We will have a look at expansion. I have said over the past couple of months I would have thought that by 2015 the game will be moving from 16 teams to 18 teams."

Dave Smith 2013
“I’m really supportive and committed to Western Australia – it’s strategically important to us.
“The commission very clearly has said that we won’t consider growth until the end of 2014. There’s a lot of work to do in terms of just making sure we’re operating off a strong base, so we’re concentrating on that (until then).
“I think we’ll be ready around about that time, and quite clearly, Western Australia is a strong option.”

That's really where it became unstuck. If Dave Smith had stayed on as CEO, we'd have Perth in the mid 2010s (say, 2015 or 2016 start), and probably Brisbane 2 at the same time to make it a balanced 18-club competition.

By early 2020, we may have been in a position to consider NZ2 and Adelaide.

Oh, the opportunity lost :(

taipan

Referee

Gallop 2011

Dave Smith 2013

John Grant 2015
"We have provisions (in the free-to-air broadcast agreement) for a 17th team in Brisbane."

Peter Beattie 2018
The vision of the game is really simple; we have to expand,” Beattie said.
"We are in a very competitive environment for entertainment. You've got to be flexible and have a strategy.
"When you've got that level of competition you need to do that. The game needs to expand or it will die.”

Todd Greenberg 2018
I would like to see more teams across the competition. Our chairman Peter Beattie is on record saying you can't sit still and you should have aspirations to grow," Greenberg said.

Peter vlandys 2020
"Even though I'm a very strong supporter of a second team in Brisbane, it's got to be a strong business sense ..."There's no time set as to when we introduce a second Brisbane team. It might be a year away, two years away, three years away. But I stress again, the business case has to stack up."

No actual outcomes from any of the above ,in front of V'Landy's appointment. All talk no action.
Pointless commentary.
Yet V'Landys seems dead keen during a COVID virus.,which says little about the earlier wannabees. We'll see if he's all talk no action, and not prejudge someone before years end/early New Year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No actual outcomes from any of the above ,in front of V'Landy's appointment. All talk no action.
Pointless commentary.
Yet V'Landys seems dead keen during a COVID virus.,which says little about the earlier wannabees. We'll see if he's all talk no action, and not prejudge someone before years end/early New Year.

is he dead keen? Seems his commentary last week was just like the rest.
Keen, in a few years, must stack up, mustn’t hurt existing clubs. Pretty much what all the rest said.

taipan

Referee
is he dead keen? Seems his commentary last week was just like the rest.
Keen, in a few years, must stack up, mustn’t hurt existing clubs. Pretty much what all the rest said.

Colour me surprised you have negative thoughts before a ball kicked.
He could be facing a thousand lashes to make him expand, and you'd still complain.Your comments reinforces the view, you bag new execs before they have had a couple of years to show their mettle or otherwise.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Colour me surprised you have negative thoughts before a ball kicked.
He could be facing a thousand lashes to make him expand, and you'd still complain.Your comments reinforces the view, you bag new execs before they have had a couple of years to show their mettle or otherwise.

ball kicked? f**k off this ball has been kicked around for ten years!!

I’ll laud them when he comes out and says Brisbane2 will kickoff off on.....
Until then it’s just the same rhetoric we have been hearing from the games leaders for a decade. But hey we’ve got another report underway, I guess he didn’t like the one done last year?

taipan

Referee
ball kicked? f**k off this ball has been kicked around for ten years!!

I’ll laud them when he comes out and says Brisbane2 will kickoff off on.....
Until then it’s just the same rhetoric we have been hearing from the games leaders for a decade. But hey we’ve got another report underway, I guess he didn’t like the one done last year?

FMD.You still don't read what I've stated nor understand what you yourself post.
Every time someone is selected for a responsible position, before they get to work, you in your typical whining ,negative manner have a shot at them.Before they have had a chance to show their wares.
You are doing exactly the same with Abdo, and with V'landys who(and no doubt the board) will be making a decision on expansion end of year.
You wouldn't understand the meaning of LAUD.No ones asking you to laud anyone, before they do something.You do that when they do it, or bag them when they don't.

Your mob took no notice of the game's leaders in the past(1995)anyway.Why should they take friggin notice of you?
Your bitterness shows in every post.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
FMD.You still don't read what I've stated nor understand what you yourself post.
Every time someone is selected for a responsible position, before they get to work, you in your typical whining ,negative manner have a shot at them.Before they have had a chance to show their wares.
You are doing exactly the same with Abdo, and with V'landys who(and no doubt the board) will be making a decision on expansion end of year.
You wouldn't understand the meaning of LAUD.No ones asking you to laud anyone, before they do something.You do that when they do it, or bag them when they don't.

Your mob took no notice of the game's leaders in the past(1995)anyway.Why should they take friggin notice of you?
Your bitterness shows in every post.

you seem very obsessed with me and quite incapable of actually discussing the point lol. I think you should put me on ignore for your own well-being, it’s becoming unhealthy.

Vlandys (I won’t say abdo because I doubt he is going to have much say in anything) hasnt said or done anything that we haven’t heard in last ten years, yet. In fact he has said EXACTLY the same thing as every other leader who went on to do nothing. Forgive us if we seem a little doubtful given the last decades experience.

flippikat

Bench
Vlandys (I won’t say abdo because I doubt he is going to have much say in anything) hasnt said or done anything that we haven’t heard in last ten years, yet. In fact he has said EXACTLY the same thing as every other leader who went on to do nothing. Forgive us if we seem a little doubtful given the last decades experience.

Spot on.

There's a difference between saying "we will have a look at expansion", "we will comission a report" & "We're committed to growing the game in X" on one hand, and ACTUALLY ANNOUNCING EXPANSION WILL HAPPEN on the other.

One is talk, the other is action.

taipan

Referee
you seem very obsessed with me and quite incapable of actually discussing the point lol. I think you should put me on ignore for your own well-being, it’s becoming unhealthy.

Not anymore .Father's day showed me there's more to life than reading perpetual whiners who will find a negative in anything. Life's too short.