What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Case for Adelaide.....

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
The advantages perth has now that it didn’t have in 95
Ten times better stadium
Cumins is worth a shed load more money
There are more nrl fans as shown by numerous 21.5k sell outs at nib, 34k and 60k at Optus for rl events
Not being hamstrung by stupid travel cost agreement
An elite jnr program that’s been operating for a number of years now
An extra 1million people in the city
A lot more wealthy businesses in perth
No SL sending inflation sky rocketing
No news ltd white anting the club board

you really can’t compare 2020 to 1995, or future pirates to past reds anymore than you should compare the failed crushers to a future Brisbane2 bid,, they are chalk and cheese.
How much is Cumins worth?

The advantages perth has now that it didn’t have in 95
Ten times better stadium
Cumins is worth a shed load more money
There are more nrl fans as shown by numerous 21.5k sell outs at nib, 34k and 60k at Optus for rl events
Not being hamstrung by stupid travel cost agreement
An elite jnr program that’s been operating for a number of years now
An extra 1million people in the city
A lot more wealthy businesses in perth
No SL sending inflation sky rocketing
No news ltd white anting the club board

you really can’t compare 2020 to 1995, or future pirates to past reds anymore than you should compare the failed crushers to a future Brisbane2 bid,, they are chalk and cheese.
3 of the last 4 NRL Premiership matches at Perth Oval drew terrible crowds.

The Nines at Perth Oval was a dud.

The NSWRL drew great crowds at the WACA a few years before the Reds were introduced, but the Reds' attendances dropped to 8,200 in 1996.

Add a winning team to Perth and they could, and probably would average 15,000 or more. If it isn't setting the world on fire every year, it will probably drop to 10,000, or less.

How much is Cumins worth?

Name and Co. / Salary / Cash bonus / Share-based pay / Total / Last year / Perf-related

Peter Cumins, Cash Converters: $754,056 / $364,875 / $728,792 / $2.12m / ($864,246)

https://thewest.com.au/business/rem...ecs-and-how-much-they-take-home-ng-b88640885z

In 2013 he sold off $2.5 million worth of shares in his business, Cash Converters International, and retained interest in another $12.5 million worth of shares.

https://www.businessnews.com.au/article/Cash-Converters-director-sells-257-million-shares

In 2015 he held $5.25 million worth of shares in the company. The business wasn't going well.

Cashies boss tops up holding
Stuart McKinnon
The West Australian
Tue, 29 September 2015 1:5
2PM
UPDATE 2.55pm: Cash Converters boss Peter Cumins is the latest WA company director to see value in the tumbling share price of his company.

A change of director’s interest notice lodged with the ASX this morning showed Mr Cumins had spent $98,339 buying an extra 200,000 shares in the company on the market at an average price of 49 cents.

The change means Mr Cumins now holds 3.95 million shares in Cash Converters indirectly and 6.56 million shares directly, collectively worth about $5.25 million.

Cash Converters has had a horrendous year, with its share price more than halving to 44¢ from $1.17 in February on the back of law suits from disgruntled customers, poor results from its UK business because of tighter regulatory constraints and increased government scrutiny of the payday lending sector in Australia.

The stock also felt the wrath of investors after the surprise suspension of its final dividend.

Earlier this month, Mr Cumins, the brother of Cash Converters founder Brian Cumins, announced a wide-ranging review will form the basis for a new strategic plan.

Cash Converters shares were up two cents, or 4.12 per cent, to 50.5 cents at the close.

https://thewest.com.au/business/finance/cashies-boss-tops-up-holding-ng-ya-163567

Things are going even worse for the company in 2020.

Over the last year, we can see that the biggest insider purchase was by Executive Deputy Chairman Peter Cumins for AU$142k worth of shares, at about AU$0.24 per share. So it’s clear an insider wanted to buy, even at a higher price than the current share price (being AU$0.12). It’s very possible they regret the purchase, but it’s more likely they are bullish about the company. To us, it’s very important to consider the price insiders pay for shares. It is encouraging to see an insider paid above the current price for shares, as it suggests they saw value, even at higher levels. The only individual insider to buy over the last year was Peter Cumins.

https://simplywall.st/stocks/au/div...nverters-international-limited-asxccv-shares/
So Cash Converters International shares have gone from being worth $1.17 in Feb 2015 to just $0.12 today.

Sounds like a business on its last legs.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The only way I can see Perth in the NRL is if they buy into an existing club. PVL ruled out expansion and forced relocation.

I cannot see a Sydney club accepting anything other than a lucrative buy-in from a wealthy investor that makes them a powerhouse of the NRL. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were willing to take low drawing games against interstate teams to Perth, provided they were paid handsomely. A Broncos or Cowboys vs Tigers game could draw more in Perth than Campbelltown.

I agree with that it would take a Perth bid quite a bit to convince the NRL. I think that is s symptom of where we are at as a game. You and I both agree that Brisbane 2 and probably NZ 2 should have been bedded down a while ago. If that were the case you could confidently look at non-heartland areas for expansion.

I agree with that it would take a Perth bid quite a bit to convince the NRL. I think that is s symptom of where we are at as a game. You and I both agree that Brisbane 2 and probably NZ 2 should have been bedded down a while ago. If that were the case you could confidently look at non-heartland areas for expansion.
If a Sydney club is forced out, Perth would be the ideal place for it. That's one of the reasons I think Perth and Adelaide should be left vacant throughout the 2020s. If they get a Sydney club that is squeezed out of that market, and it could happen over the next decade, relocating it to Perth will probably see it given more leeway and support from head office than one that's created from scratch.

The NRL is a Sydney competition and there's strong emotions tied to the Sydney clubs. A new brand like Pirates might be liked by people in Perth, but if it falls on hard times then it won't be able to pull on the heartstrings of Sydneysiders, as there's no history or nostalgia behind it. Should the ARLC cull a Pirates club that falls on tough times then no one other than PR will kick up a fuss. Doing the same to a Sydney club that made the tough decision to relocate will see longterm fans from all Sydney clubs outraged.

Far less capital will be required to fund a relocated Sydney club that has existing fans and commerical partners.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If a Sydney club is forced out, Perth would be the ideal place for it. That's one of the reasons I think Perth and Adelaide should be left vacant throughout the 2020s. If they get a Sydney club that is squeezed out of that market, and it could happen over the next decade, relocating it to Perth will probably see it given more leeway and support support from head office than one that's created from scratch.

This is a really good point. The NRL would be much more likely to prop up a traditional brand that was already squeezed out of Sydney than a new brand that falls on hard times. I guess time will tell if they are serious with the 'no more bailing out clubs' line.

MugaB

Coach
This is a really good point. The NRL would be much more likely to prop up a traditional brand that was already squeezed out of Sydney than a new brand that falls on hard times. I guess time will tell if they are serious with the 'no more bailing out clubs' line.
Depends on
"WHO'S LINE WAS IT ANYWAY"
images.jpeg-37.jpg

The Cash Converts owner behind the Pirates bid, Peter Cumins, would probably be better served buying into an existing Sydney brand to help promote his ailing business in the eastern states, than trying to start a club from scratch. Shares for his company have dropped from $1.17 to just $0.12. His net worth isn't large enough for him to add more than a few hundred thousand dollars of his annual earnings to the Pirates.

For a club that will need to generate around $30 million or more a season to be successful on the field, that's not enough. I cannot see the other investors tied up in Cash Converters wanting to fork out much money on a risky venture when their own company is struggling.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The Cash Converts owner behind the Pirates bid, Peter Cumins, would probably be better served buying into an existing Sydney brand to help promote his ailing business in the eastern states, than trying to start a club from scratch. Shares for his company have dropped from $1.17 to just $0.12. His net worth isn't large enough for him to add more than a few hundred thousand dollars of his annual earnings to the Pirates.

For a club that will need to generate around $30 million or more a season to be successful on the field, that's not enough. I cannot see the other investors tied up in Cash Converters wanting to fork out much money on a risky venture when their own company is struggling.

I think if we do decide to go to Perth and Adelaide (in whatever form). I think the NRL need to be prepared to tip some money in for the sake of expanding the game. The ARLC are responsible for spreading the game throughout Australia too, not just making a profit.

I think if we do decide to go to Perth and Adelaide (in whatever form). I think the NRL need to be prepared to tip some money in for the sake of expanding the game. The ARLC are responsible for spreading the game throughout Australia too, not just making a profit.
If the ARLC want it to succeed they will need to give them a $20 million annual grant, as opposed to the $13 million the other 16 clubs get. No doubt the other clubs will never vote for it.

Thread needs more Rams' flavour..

img_9603.jpg

Surely the ARLC could spend some money fielding teams from Adelaide and Perth in the Queensland Cup. If it increases the profile of the game in those states and improves the standard of play in their local competitions then that's a step in the right direction. I woule go one step further and mergr the Queensland and NSW Cups, or create a new national second tier with Adelaide, Perth and strategically important clubs from the Queensland and NSW Cups.

Melbourne Storm could affiliate themselves with Adelaide and Perth, growing their profile in those cities. Maybe even take 1 Storm game a year to Adelaide Oval, another to Perth Oval. If it grows their brand and supporter base then that's a good thing.

Latest posts