What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MugaB

Coach
I did, twice, when he came out with his AFL states are waste of money comments. Never got a reply.
No shit, he musta copped heaps around then, especially in regards to expansion... to PVL if you're not playing rugby league constantly as an area, (being a heartland) you're not ahead in priority line, the code will grow as soon as the rest of the clubs are stable enough to then focus on a greater expansion, i cant actually wait till june when they announce which bid gets the nod, and finally see some expansion

Last edited:

Jamberoo

Juniors
Watched it - while the diatribe on AFL was ok to touch on, geez MJ carried on with it far too long. Was "cheap" to focus on that as much as he did - would much rather they asked other questions such as plans for Rugby League at a local, expansion, and international level.

As it happened - he made PVL take AFL bait too much. Wasted opportunity rather than "AFL is shit" throughout.

Tell us something we don't know what PVL is doing, not rehash what we already know.
The AFL/VIctoria bagging from NSW simply shows how deep the NRL inferiority complex runs. The AFL never mentions other sports. As if Coke would waste air time bagging Pepsi, or Maccas / Hungry Jacks? It is always the Number 2 bagging the market leader. It smacks of desperation.
‘AFL fans are boring’, but ‘we want to steal them’. How is this helping?
RL is has been wobbly in recent times, sure, but the national split of interest in RL is still virtually 50/50 with AFL. The ‘War’ NSW people speak of has not been lost. MJ can take some blame (not the sharpest tool on the shed), but PVL should put his ego aside (‘I saved the AFL’ - really?) and stop speaking like a loser.

mongoose

Coach
The AFL/VIctoria bagging from NSW simply shows how deep the NRL inferiority complex runs. The AFL never mentions other sports. As if Coke would waste air time bagging Pepsi, or Maccas / Hungry Jacks? It is always the Number 2 bagging the market leader. It smacks of desperation.
RL is has been wobbly in recent times, sure, but the national split of interest in RL is still virtually 50/50 with AFL. The ‘War’ NSW people speak of has not been lost. MJ can take some blame (not the sharpest tool on the shed), but PVL should put his ego aside (‘I saved the AFL’ - really?) and stop speaking like a loser.

you have a point, its why Melburnians waste so much energy bagging Sydney lol Sydney folk don't think about Melbourne.

typicalfan

Coach
To be fair to PVL, he gets asked and he answers truthfully plus he is right about the moral posturing the AFL do. "We will be socially responsible". Yet go from returning in July to early June the moment the NRL got the jump.

Plus PVL has history with the racing industry.

Plus he was upset CH 9 was advertising Super RU more than the NRL, which if he feels this way, is a legitimate concern.

I agree to a point.

PVL was unmercifully howled down by the "holier-than-thou" AFL types in Melbourne when he set the date to resume the comp.

He got it done, and they, along with other sports, got back up n running far sooner because of his work. The comment about "Saving AFL" wasn't championing what he did was being a saviour, but what he did led to them getting themselves up and running again way before they otherwise would have - saving them from bleeding many more millions. PVL was the one being bagged by McGuire, Kennett, and many lead journos in AFL world. The only one I saw actually being objective about it was a guy much loathed in SA - Kane Cornes - who threw it back to the naysayers on the football show he's on.

And well before this - he was ridiculed by Racing Victoria..... He's taken both of these sporting bodies on, right in their faces. I don't mind that - and actually respect it. Just not some of the things he's said. Although - journo's know he'll speak his mind truthfully and unashamedly. I've only ever seen Vlandy's bag AFL & it's figureheads when asked about it by journos - he doesn't beat the drum against them on his own.

Against PVL - I thought comments around Victorians was pretty petulant. The most successful team is from Melbourne, which has developed a large, passionate, core group of fans for a "foreign sport". It just irks me that bagging "Victorians" on the whole is just beneath a person of his level. Especially having a great club like the Storm as an integral part of the comp. I could understand why storm fans would be annoyed at this stuff.

On the whole I like what he's about and what he drove last year to save the NRL. God only knows what may have happened if anyone of the former leaders was in charge when Covid hit.

I've never been a believer that you sell a BMW by bagging a Mercedes. Yep much of it is tongue-in-cheek honesty from Vlandys in answering baited questions. But continually saying things like this then dilutes the great work he's actually doing.

Last edited:
Haha true, it's the "I'm from Melbourne" when you never asked.

It's the "Two V's"

Vegans and Victorians

They'll let you know without you showing interest in asking.

(and yes - mindful of my disagreement in bagging Victorians in the above post - but I'm BBJF on a forum, not PVL running a national sport)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Peter Beattie was never going to do a thing. He is a bs conman.

unture, Beattie actually started the ball rolling with commissioning a genuine review of expansion options in Dec 2018. First time ever anyone from the nrl has come to perth and actually talked to the money backers here. Sadly it never got finished under Vlandys and he just decided he liked brisbane and didn’t like afl states so shelved it.

King hit

Coach
unture, Beattie actually started the ball rolling with commissioning a genuine review of expansion options in Dec 2018. First time ever anyone from the nrl has come to perth and actually talked to the money backers here. Sadly it never got finished under Vlandys and he just decided he liked brisbane and didn’t like afl states so shelved it.
Delusion personified

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Leaders need to lead change.

For too long in this country the AFL has been treated like some sacred cow that cannot be criticised, and must be treated with reverence. The AFL, to their credit have cultivated this through friendly media and access to the upper realms of Melbourne society. In Sydney and Brisbane, they have claimed segments of the market traditionally occupied by union. This had to change, because at the end of the day it is a mountain of bullshit.

Breaking this culture is not going to be clean, nor pretty. Anyone who attempted to break this paradigm was always going to be met with substantial resistance. And the methods used were going to have to be crude at times. But V'Landys has given a voice to those of us Australians who never had ozzie rules as a part of our lives, nor wanted it. This is a substantial portion of the population I must add.

By substantial I mean huge!

V'Landys is aware of this and is starting to play a long game, leading the change in media presentation and debate. It is brave and to be commended, and clealry demonstrates a capacity to lead change. If a few precious petals get offended along the way that is too bad, and actually a good sign to be honest.

typicalfan

Coach
I agree to a point.

PVL was unmercifully howled down by the "holier-than-thou" AFL types in Melbourne when he set the date to resume the comp.

He got it done, and they, along with other sports, got back up n running far sooner because of his work. The comment about "Saving AFL" wasn't championing what he did was being a saviour, but what he did led to them getting themselves up and running again way before they otherwise would have - saving them from bleeding many more millions. PVL was the one being bagged by McGuire, Kennett, and many lead journos in AFL world. The only one I saw actually being objective about it was a guy much loathed in SA - Kane Cornes - who threw it back to the naysayers on the football show he's on.

And well before this - he was ridiculed by Racing Victoria..... He's taken both of these sporting bodies on, right in their faces. I don't mind that - and actually respect it. Just not some of the things he's said. Although - journo's know he'll speak his mind truthfully and unashamedly. I've only ever seen Vlandy's bag AFL & it's figureheads when asked about it by journos - he doesn't beat the drum against them on his own.

Against PVL - I thought comments around Victorians was pretty petulant. The most successful team is from Melbourne, which has developed a large, passionate, core group of fans for a "foreign sport". It just irks me that bagging "Victorians" on the whole is just beneath a person of his level. Especially having a great club like the Storm as an integral part of the comp. I could understand why storm fans would be annoyed at this stuff.

On the whole I like what he's about and what he drove last year to save the NRL. God only knows what may have happened if anyone of the former leaders was in charge when Covid hit.

I've never been a believer that you sell a BMW by bagging a Mercedes. Yep much of it is tongue-in-cheek honesty from Vlandys in answering baited questions. But continually saying things like this then dilutes the great work he's actually doing.
I agree about the the bagging being unnecessary but maybe it's how he rolls. His Steve Waugh style sledging to up his own game is new to NRL but not new in general. He has made a living doing this in Racing and has made significant inroads into the Spring Racing Carnival which sounded just as impenetrable as AFL in Melbourne.

Leaders need to lead change.

For too long in this country the AFL has been treated like some sacred cow that cannot be criticised, and must be treated with reverence. The AFL, to their credit have cultivated this through friendly media and access to the upper realms of Melbourne society. In Sydney and Brisbane, they have claimed segments of the market traditionally occupied by union. This had to change, because at the end of the day it is a mountain of bullshit.

Breaking this culture is not going to be clean, nor pretty. Anyone who attempted to break this paradigm was always going to be met with substantial resistance. And the methods used were going to have to be crude at times. But V'Landys has given a voice to those of us Australians who never had ozzie rules as a part of our lives, nor wanted it. This is a substantial portion of the population I must add.

By substantial I mean huge!

V'Landys is aware of this and is starting to play a long game, leading the change in media presentation and debate. It is brave and to be commended, and clealry demonstrates a capacity to lead change. If a few precious petals get offended along the way that is too bad, and actually a good sign to be honest.
It would help if the Victorians who hate fumbleball aligned themselves with RL just to stick it to those who never shut up about AwFuL. I cannot think of a better way for a Victorian who is sick of hearing about fumbleball get under the skin of its cheerleaders than by wearing Storm merchandise and saying, "See the Storm the other night?

"The way they hold onto the ball without dropping it is so refreshing. So is watching people who can kick straight."

The only bagging victorians gets from nswwelshmen is how hopeless they are at sports - especially cricket and soccer.
It's usually Victorians always trying to build themselves up at NSW's expense by saying Melbourne is the capital of sport, culture, arts, music and all sorts of crap.

It must piss them off down there in fumbleball land hat bands from Brisbane (Powder Finger) and Logan (Savage Garden) have been more successful overseas in recent times than anything from Melbourne.

Latest posts