What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

08 :: R3 Fri :: Eels 24 Knights 23 @ Parramatta

Round 3 Result :: Eels v Knights

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raider_69

Post Whore
Medievalknight said:
Says Mr EXPERT :lol:

feel free to correct me if im wrong...
newcastle havent to my seeing of things actually played all that well, they should be congratulated, as they have 4 competition points whilst playing like sh*te, but a mark improvement will be needed if they expect to be finals contenders... they will get eaten by the good sides dropping as much footy as they are right now.

try playing the ball and not the man. Or else piss off and let the big boys discuss the matter

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Harold Bishop said:
Manly were the better team vs. Newcastle (thats not saying much as both teams played sh*te), but hell give me the 2 points any day of the week ahead of a "good performance"

Manly were by no means the better team last week. Both teams were more or less as woeful as each other until it heated up in the final 10-15... and then Newcastle were running them ragged. The halves were woeful for Manly and Lyon has just gone missing - only time he turned up was to snare a lucky bounce for a try. To suggest they dominated last week in any respect is hilarious at best.

caylo

Bench
Jono078 said:
Fair enough :oops:

Yeh, I like our style of play, we have a LOT of improvement in us...

Eventually those kicks for Vuna will come off, Errors will be less frequent, Players learn how to play with each other.

And to add we have a couple of big players to come back.

I like where were heading, im just hoping this loss doesnt get us bummed down and then go and get belted by the Warriors.

Oh, and congrats on the win, while it's dissapointing to lose it's hopefully good for Hindmarsh to take something good out of the week.

I have the same belief in my side, tbh i don't think you guys played much better than us. Parramatta defended very well most of the match, but were found short on one side 3 times with Reddy not a noted centre, i think defense there will improve when Benny and Inu come back in.

I think our forwards out muscled you guys most of the match, although it was evenly matched relay. You guys have a host of talent to come back, and I would love to see you guys at full strength.

Hayne has been touch and go in the centres, showed his worth tonight but will probably take him half a season to be confident there. Tautai played very well and is improving.

Timmy was quiet, showed he is easing himself back in, and hope for more impact in the coming weeks. Wouldn't say he had a shocker, didn't get involved much, but gave us structure we lacked. I think he will be much better and will make us more dangerous in the coming weeks. Keating also showed he was capable and I am raring to see him play more min with riddells injury. Pectoral tear could be 3months on the side line, very serious injury. Plus Robenson to come back in and Lowrie and Wagon to be knocked off soon, I'll say you will see parramatta be stronger in defense and attack.

Very happy with some things i saw esp Mateo and he did deserve MOM.

Bicey_18

Bench
Raider_69 said:
the knights fans are getting way ahead of themselves here
they played like sh*te against canberra[/B], didnt see much of last weeks game but again tonight they dropped far too much footy, good sides playing good footy will put the knights away easily the way they are playing atm

We are a new side... We cant be expected to play awesome footy this early on. The signs are there though, we will only get better

Raider_69

Post Whore
Bicey_18 said:
We are a new side... We cant be expected to play awesome footy this early on. The signs are there though, we will only get better

absolutely true, every side in the comp will only get better form this point, im just making the point that the knights fans suggesting they are in this comp up to their balls are getting carried away abit. Alot more improvements need to be made from the knights team if they want to contest semi final footy

i still think they'll miss the 8. I dont think they've got as much improvement in them as the other sides

Timmah

Staff member
Raider in all fairness, whether you have your anti-Knights goggles on or not - Newie are performing far and above anything that was expected from them at season kickoff.

caylo

Bench
bicey i totally agree, team like knewy and the Tigers have played well. You guys relay did defend well, lead by Danny B. I was very very impressed and you guys have a very good forward pack. I think you will be there of there abouts at the end of the year. True title contenders, well we will just see. What i don't agree with is some of your counterparts assessment of parramatta. But we all have two eyes and one brain, and can come to our own conclusions.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Timmah said:
Raider in all fairness, whether you have your anti-Knights goggles on or not - Newie are performing far and above anything that was expected from them at season kickoff.

that's my point, i dont believe they are... from what ive seen they beat a hapless raiders team who couldnt hold the footy, the knights were only marginally better. They beat manly who have been dead ordinary without monaghan this year, again, a poor game of footy, riddled with errors... tonight they come up against a good team, not playing near their best footy and again a plethora of drop ball and poor disapline.

If these performances are ABOVE what was expected of them by their fans, i really do feel bad for knights supporters. TBH is say they are under performing to their abilities and if they dont make marked improvements, when the good teams get their sh*t together, newcastle will be found wanting, as they were tonight against parra in the breif periods parra strung quality sets back to back.

Bicey_18

Bench
caylo said:
bicey i totally agree, team like knewy and the Tigers have played well. You guys relay did defend well, lead by Danny B. I was very very impressed and you guys have a very good forward pack. I think you will be there of there abouts at the end of the year. True title contenders, well we will just see. What i don't agree with is some of your counterparts assessment of parramatta. But we all have two eyes and one brain, and can come to our own conclusions.

Thats right mate, I agree some of us may be typing in the heat of the moment ... I know im devastated losing that game but you have to give credit when its due... your boys got there in the end so well done.

I dont think we will challenge this year, maybe in the next couple of years but I do think we can nab a top 8 spot. We seem to be playing alot better and have a ton of improvement in us.

Timmah

Staff member
Brian Smith slams official performances

www.livenews.com.au
Newcastle coach Brian Smith has unloaded on the performance of referee Tony Archer and Video official Steven Clark, claiming several dubious decisions cost his side victory against Parramatta.

The Knights lost a heart-stopper 24-23 at Parramatta Stadium, prompting Smith to lament a lack of consistency from match officials, claiming several incidents should have been referred to the video referee.

"I understand this is a new facet of our game, but it needs to be tidied up," said the former Eels coach.

"If we're going to get some of the people cured in hospital, and we've got the facility to do it, I think we should get them all cured, not just the ones where he decides it might be a good idea to see the patients today".

Smith highlighted several incidents where the Knights were on the receiving end of what he termed "dubious calls", that swung the momentum of the game towards Parramatta.

The Knights coach referred to an incident where Clark awarded the home side a penalty for an alleged strip by Scott Dureau, and also instances where Danny Buderus and Daniel Tolar had the ball seemingly knocked out of their hands but a knock on was ruled, as "dubious" rulings that hurt his side.

"The system needs to be addressed, so that we don't get some of the right calls", said Smith.

"We we're slightly harshly done by tonight".

Conversely, Parramatta mentor Michael Hagan defended the performance of the match officials, saying increased video use is improving the game, but will never provide perfection.

"There's going to be errors from officials in our game," said the former Newcastle coach and player.

"With the video ref we're getting more right than we're getting wrong, and that's got to be good for the game".

The criticism from Smith took the gloss of a game that Smith himself referred to as a "ball tearer", that featured doubles from Eel Jarryd Hayne and Knight Keith Lulia, along with an unlikely field goals from Parramatta prop Nathan Cayless along with Luke Burt's golden-point winner.

http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/03/28/Smith_slams_officials_over_dubious_calls

lucablight

First Grade
macavity said:
we are in this comp balls deep. we will improve every game.

parra are pretenders. ref and our sloppy handling got them home.

I cant believe Mateo got MOM

Buderus was head and shoulders best on ground

Mullo and Kids were also better than any of the eels.

:lol:

Timmah

Staff member
luca, I wouldn't be laughing just yet given your team's current form. 2 wins is a good result but in the current style of play they won't stay in the winners circle.

caylo

Bench
Timmah it is week 3, we have seen alot of dazzle from parramatta, and little combination in defence or attack. Shows we have talent just need time to jell as a team... we can be confident i think.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Timmah said:
luca, I wouldn't be laughing just yet given your team's current form. 2 wins is a good result but in the current style of play they won't stay in the winners circle.

Bulldogs look like they will end up last with Souths and the Raiders at the moment so who gives a f**k what any of you Dipsh*t fans think of Parramatta.

Came back from 20-0 at halftime
Won golden point

Weve gone better than every side expect the Broncos and Sharks in my opinion.

Big Pete

Referee
Considering the class of players on the sideline for the Eels, they can only get better Timmah.

I never understood why people didn't consider the Knights at least an outside chance. For those in the know they have one of the best 1,6,7,9 combinations and a very handy assortment of quality players to fill in at other positions.

Big Pete

Referee
eels_fan_01 said:
Bulldogs look like they will end up last with Souths and the Raiders at the moment so who gives a f**k what any of you Dipsh*t fans think of Parramatta.

Came back from 20-0 at halftime
Won golden point

Weve gone better than every side expect the Broncos and Sharks in my opinion.

Roosters?

Storm?

eels_fan_01

Bench
Big Pete said:
Roosters?

Storm?

Nup, f**k them.

Warriors were on last week and when they are on they can beat anyone, i mean i admit we didnt play well but it was a one off sort of game agaisnt the Warriors that will happen to half the NRL teams over there whether they are first or last.

Timmah

Staff member
Before tonight Parramatta had played one decent half of football. Don't get ahead of yourself.

lucablight

First Grade
Timmah said:

I wasn't laughing at that. I agree we have been playing terribly. I was laughing at the crybaby.