What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

09 :: Origin I :: Wed 3 Jun :: QLD 28 NSW 18 @ Etihad

Origin 1 :: QLD v NSW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chook Norris

First Grade
Wednesday's forecast is:

Cloudy. Patchy rain. Winds east to northeasterly averaging 10 to 20 km/h.
City: A little rain.

Min 11
Max 17

hopefully it clears up before then

What a shame this is being played in Melbourne. I don't understand why this being played in a state which has no real interest in the outcome. Next thing you know they'll have it in Perth to "promote the game". Origin is sacred to QLD and NSW. Does the ARL even understand that?

Yeh...what a shame...Victorians hate league and have no idea.

Pity it will almost be a full house and no one will be cheering because they have interest.

Wake up noddy...:roll:

Kiki

First Grade
when they first started it i thought it was insane but i've changed my mind. i have no problem with it being played in Melbourne. it is the best event in league and if it encourages Victorian to follow a decent code then that's awesome.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Ha ha ha thats it boys, your hatred will make you stronger!

darth_vader_3.jpg

Last edited:

This Year?

Immortal
Yeh...what a shame...Victorians hate league and have no idea.

Pity it will almost be a full house and no one will be cheering because they have interest.

Wake up noddy...:roll:

So you've taken my post out of context and played the "league has no place in VIC" card. If you read my original post AGAIN you may actually get the point I was trying to make. ORIGIN HAS NO PLACE IN VICTORIA.

This Year?

Immortal
when they first started it i thought it was insane but i've changed my mind. i have no problem with it being played in Melbourne. it is the best event in league and if it encourages Victorian to follow a decent code then that's awesome.

I see your point but I think Origin is about QLD and NSW. If they played a test match down there I think it would be great.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Disagree with "Origin has no place in Victoria". Strong crowds (87k in 1994, capacity of 54k in 2006) prove it has it's value. Wednesday is close to a sell out as I understand.

League will only ever be a niche sport in Victoria. Anyone who thinks any different has never ever been to Victoria. Melbourne is a cosmopolitan sort of place where most people are hip and trendy and up to trying the latest fad. They will also go and watch any sort of sport.

The rest of Victoria is full of VFL loving knuckle draggers who'd be more likely to volunteer for a lobotomy then go and watch a game of Rugby League. Simple country folk like those in country Victoria, fear change.

If you ever need any proof, just watch one of the numerous fluff stories run on any channel 7 news telecast about AFL. There was one on Sunrise this morning talking about 2 French students who had moved to country Victoria on an exchange program and been drafted into the local AFL team. I was watching it thinking FMD, who cares but I'm sure there were thousands of inbreds in country Victoria, riveted to the screen thinking, "wow this is exciting" or "isn't it amazing how people can play our game and pick up all the skills necessary in minutes" and "where is France again, that must be an exciting place!"

There would have to be a catastrophic failure of VFL for League to ever create more than just passing interest and even if VFL fell over tomorrow, Soccer would become the number one sport in Victoria. The NRL need to give it a rest. We'd be better off playing an Origin game in WA and trying to kick start a team over there than playing origin in Victoria.

This Year?

Immortal
Disagree with "Origin has no place in Victoria". Strong crowds (87k in 1994, capacity of 54k in 2006) prove it has it's value. Wednesday is close to a sell out as I understand.

'94 was always going to sell out because it was the 1st origin game played there and '06 would have been better at ANZ (would have sold more tickets). I wonder how many would be coming from NSW and QLD for these SOO games in VIC.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Timmah said:
But Timmah, State of Origin since its inception has always been between New South Wales and Queensland. It should always be between New South Wales and Queensland. I know we're trying to spread the rugby league Gospel in Melbourne, but Origin shouldn't be played there. Internationals, no problem, but not Origin.

This Year?

Immortal
But Timmah, State of Origin since its inception has always been between New South Wales and Queensland. It should always be between New South Wales and Queensland. I know we're trying to spread the rugby league Gospel in Melbourne, but Origin shouldn't be played there. Internationals, no problem, but not Origin.

Hooray!!!! Someone finally understands. :clap:

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Actually it was the second Origin in Melbourne. The first, in 1990, was played at Olympic and drew a capacity crowd (at the time) of 25,800.

And JD, Melbourne hosted an international last year between Australia and England. Crowd? 36,297.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
And JD, Melbourne hosted an international last year between Australia and England. Crowd? 36,297.
Yes, which was my point. Play as many internationals in Melbourne as you like, just don't play any Origins.

This Year?

Immortal
Actually it was the second Origin in Melbourne. The first, in 1990, was played at Olympic and drew a capacity crowd (at the time) of 25,800.

I stand corrected.