What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Centy Coast

Juniors
Can they pay the licence fee?!
Are you talking about the $50 million fee PNG have been asked to pay up front ?.
I haven’t heard of any license fee being linked to any of the other bids, this is what made me think the other day that the ARLC were having doubts about their PNG venture but obviously not.

Pippen94

First Grade
Are you talking about the $50 million fee PNG have been asked to pay up front ?.
I haven’t heard of any license fee being linked to any of the other bids, this is what made me think the other day that the ARLC were having doubts about their PNG venture but obviously not.

Should be

MugaB

Coach
The clubs wanted a expansion fee last time, but they asked after things had already progressed too far into all the Brisbane bids back then, they've pushed that agenda now to make it a worthy carrot for clubs to back, WB was wrong to say 2m annually per club, it might just be 2mill overall to the clubs per year for this bid, I doubt anyone would fork out 34mil per year just to be included in the comp even if it's the govt paying for it

Centy Coast

Juniors
The poor old norths fans won't live that long.
They’ll be in before that.
Look how the Bears are travelling in the NSW Cup, the Storm divide their contracted players up between three clubs.
So among the other NSW Cup sides the Bears have the least NRL contracted players with only two to three Storm players playing for the Bears each weekend.
Every other NSW Cup side has a direct NRL feeder club.
Most of the Bears players are contracted Bears players as they were last season, as the Roosters also had their own NSW Cup team.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Clubs

Clubs will want more than a one off payment amounting to just $2m.

Tax payers should be outraged.
I can see where you are coming from, but I'm happy the money is getting spent on RL. AFL have had their snout in the trough for decades. Governments will always waste money, so PVL is just making sure we get a cut.

lol, the pain is so tangible. Perths getting a club and Logan isn’t, deal with it. Dolphins need you.
What will you do if Perth turns out to be a bigger basket case than the Sydney clubs you've ridiculed for years?

Fans from those clubs will heap shit on Perth every time it fails to live up to the high standards you've set for everyone bar Melbourne and Perth.

MugaB

Coach
I can see where you are coming from, but I'm happy the money is getting spent on RL. AFL have had their snout in the trough for decades. Governments will always waste money, so PVL is just making sure we get a cut.
This ^^^^^^^^^
Most of You guys are so blinded by the outrage that our govt is wasting our taxes (which they aquire) we aren't it giving freely, we actually have to by law!
That you all forget the amount they've already given away to all the rival codes instead of the NRL, apparently this payment is part of the defence budget, (hence all the talk of China influence) although I never saw it mentioned in the budget other than the orginal articles thet spouted, it's got nothing to do with any foreign aid we provide to help nations in need

I'd prefer it if the money was spent on Australian Rugby league clubs from grassroots to NRL. If we get $600m for a team in PNG that no one wants then fumbleball will eventually kick up a stink and demand a significant amount for Tasmania and Darwin. In their case the money will go towards growing fumbleball in Australia.

I liked the old pippen better
no Perth bid
no perth backers
no govt support
Nrl not interested in perth

them were the days lol
If the WA Premier didn't annoy the shit out of V'landys when he's not sooking to the media about the east coast ignoring the west coast then Perth wouldn't even be considered as a potential expansion location.

There's still no guarantee Perth will get a licence.

MugaB

Coach
I'd prefer it if the money was spent on Australian Rugby league clubs from grassroots to NRL. If we get $600m for a team in PNG that no one wants then fumbleball will eventually kick up a stink and demand a significant amount for Tasmania and Darwin. In their case the money will go towards growing fumbleball in Australia.
So your answer is to not ask for anything at all, the government isn't investing in any grassroots for NRLs sake, they couldn't give two flying fućks.
This is purely to persuade png to aus side...
Afl won't stop asking for hand outs just coz we are too chicken shìt to do the same

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
This ^^^^^^^^^
Most of You guys are so blinded by the outrage that our govt is wasting our taxes (which they aquire) we aren't it giving freely, we actually have to by law!
That you all forget the amount they've already given away to all the rival codes instead of the NRL, apparently this payment is part of the defence budget, (hence all the talk of China influence) although I never saw it mentioned in the budget other than the orginal articles thet spouted, it's got nothing to do with any foreign aid we provide to help nations in need
We get that. What you don't get is that it wont work.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
That's the things, they already get heaps... we are missing out. They just got a new stadium in Tasmania... have you seen the last two Hobart fumbleball crowds? Both 4,500-odd.

PNG takes nothing away from QLD, thankfully we have a state govt that puts RL first.

So your answer is to not ask for anything at all, the government isn't investing in any grassroots for NRLs sake, they couldn't give two flying fućks.
This is purely to persuade png to aus side...
Afl won't stop asking for hand outs just coz we are too chicken shìt to do the same
My answer is to not let the simpleton running our country f**k up expansion with his daft proposal. China isn't going to invade Australia when America is our ally and has military personnel in the country working with our armed forces. The scaremongering from Labor is racist bullshit like the crap they spouted after WWII with Chifley's "populate or perish" slogan.

Pippen94

First Grade
My answer is to not let the simpleton running our country f**k up expansion with his daft proposal. China isn't going to invade Australia when America is our ally and has military personnel in the country working with our armed forces. The scaremongering from Labor is racist bullshit like the crap they spouted after WWII with Chifley's "populate or perish" slogan.

Russia invaded Ukraine which is ally of usa

That's the things, they already get heaps... we are missing out. They just got a new stadium in Tasmania... have you seen the last two Hobart fumbleball crowds? Both 4,500-odd.

PNG takes nothing away from QLD, thankfully we have a state govt that puts RL first.
PNG will prevent one of the other bids from getting a licence.

No one will want to play for a team that's based in Port Moresby. The club will provide zero value to the broadcast rights. At some stage the federal funding will be cut and the club will have to be subsidied by the ARLC or punted. If the club flops around like a fish out of water for a decade before it is cut then that's a decade it will set back expansion in a location that can support a team. The public relations fallout would be disastrous. It's the worst possible outcome for rugby league.

God help us if an NRL game in Port Moresby is decided by a controversial refereeing decision that doesn't go PNG's way. There's a chance of spectators and players getting seriously injured or killed under this scenario. Back in 1994 a group of angry thugs gathered at the Port Moresby airport to ambush Cowboys officials who were on their way to promote the club in PNG. The locals were pissed off because the Australian media reported that PNG's best player was struggling in the Townsville Rugby League competition and wasn't up to standard to play for the Cowboys in the ARL the following year.