What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Pippen94

First Grade
Yeah, I suspect that the call will likely either be "open slather" OR "Everywhere except for SE-Queensland".

Open slather sounds good, but the chances are that some of the losing bids from the "Brisbane 2" contest will just re-emerge.

I suppose it means the NRL gets a refreshed look at the Brisbane bid scene (eg what brand Brisbane Easts choose this time, how a Western Corridor bid positions itself, what other SE-Qld bids pop up that weren't there last time).. but by not explicitly ruling out that area, it risks the ire of the existing NRL clubs there, not to mention News Ltd with their Broncos stake - and that might be too many headaches to raise right now.

My hope is that the NRL open it up to everywhere EXCEPT SE-Queensland - fish for bids that are in a new, COMPLETELY unrepresented places. They already have a read on who's interested around the Brisbane area (or at least, who was putting their hands up 2 years ago).. and that market can be revisited later, so let's see what else is out there?

As you say, it's a good way to get a guage on not just the 18th team, but also options for 19th and/or 20th teams.

It's very possible that an unsuccessful "18th team" bid from outside Brisbane will get the nod as team 19 or 20, after being asked to brush-up their business case a little - and likewise, one of the unsuccessful bids for team 17 may have their time in that expansion phase as well.

What if only decent bid is in Brisbane (which is probably the case)?!

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's the real kicker there - how the NRL call for bids.

Do they call for all & any bids, regardless of location?

Do they pick a city or area & ask for bids from THERE - as they did last time?

Do they call for bids from anywhere EXCEPT a particular location or region?
I’d be very surprised if they dont choose location first. Strategically they should know where they want the next club to be. Then it’s what’s the best bid for that location.

Pippen94

First Grade
I’d be very surprised if they dont choose location first. Strategically they should know where they want the next club to be. The it’s what’s the best bid for that location.

Locks them into picking from collection of duds. Bad business strategy

Wb1234

Referee
If it’s open slather then brisbane will win because no other bid can compete

it won’t be open slather

the arlc is working behind the scenes now to sort out of its png or Perth (unlikely)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Locks them into picking from collection of duds. Bad business strategy
They’ll already have a sense of the opportunites in that city. They won’t randomly choose a city and hope decent bids come forward. That’s why I belive it will likey be perth, if what they’ve seen so far stacks up. They have a good idea of what will come forward, What wa govt is offering, how nrlwa is travelling and what east coast partnerships may be in the offing.

PNG is the wildcard of course.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dolphins such a threat broncos added 10k extra members this year. Plan always has been to have third team in south Brisbane..
There was a reason news ltd chose Redcliffe and not a genuine city based brisbane2 playing ft out of suncorp. It will be the same reason tigers won’t get in.

flippikat

Bench
There was a reason news ltd chose Redcliffe and not a genuine city based brisbane2 playing ft out of suncorp. It will be the same reason tigers won’t get in.
...or rather, they won't get in for team 18.

I can't disregard the prospect of another Brisbane/SEQ club for team 19 or 20, but stepping on the toes of the Broncos, Dolphins & Titans (and their owners) is a battle that I don't think the NRL has the stomach for *at this stage*.

MugaB

Coach
Yes, this or that area will have the next team.

Nobody knows where is the next side is going to come from. All I’ll say is hopefully the ARLC have the cojones to do something that will actually grow the sport.
You know they wont, they are looking at expanding the player pool, not metros or cities... i will guarantee if a NZ bid comes forward it will get the tick ahead of anyone else... due to the players they can filter thru to all teams thru it.. automatic derby with the warriors, and another international feather in the cap for NRL... making NZ stronger makes the international game stronger, if there isn't a bidder they'll persist with the PNG bid as they are currently
Perth Bears/Jets/firehawks for no.19 no.20...
Having the game entrenched on the east coast for this long, you seriously think they are going to admit they were wrong to punt Adelaide and Perth when they did.... i know it was wrong, we should be there already, but it's reality they'll always go where the player pool can expand, not to where a city has no representation... its why they take a token club game and origin to SA/WA... look how long it took for a rl area of gold coast to finally embrace the titans, or how much money and time and effort it took for the storm to set in and only coz theyve veen successful on field... imagine going to a city that doesn't have either... at least with nz2 and png youll get players in return and if they are perennial spooners, hey they are just happy to be there, if that happened in Adelaide or Perth everyone would question why did we bother without getting any players in return

Wb1234

Referee
You know they wont, they are looking at expanding the player pool, not metros or cities... i will guarantee if a NZ bid comes forward it will get the tick ahead of anyone else... due to the players they can filter thru to all teams thru it.. automatic derby with the warriors, and another international feather in the cap for NRL... making NZ stronger makes the international game stronger, if there isn't a bidder they'll persist with the PNG bid as they are currently
Perth Bears/Jets/firehawks for no.19 no.20...
Having the game entrenched on the east coast for this long, you seriously think they are going to admit they were wrong to punt Adelaide and Perth when they did.... i know it was wrong, we should be there already, but it's reality they'll always go where the player pool can expand, not to where a city has no representation... its why they take a token club game and origin to SA/WA... look how long it took for a rl area of gold coast to finally embrace the titans, or how much money and time and effort it took for the storm to set in and only coz theyve veen successful on field... imagine going to a city that doesn't have either... at least with nz2 and png youll get players in return and if they are perennial spooners, hey they are just happy to be there, if that happened in Adelaide or Perth everyone would question why did we bother without getting any players in return
They didn’t punt Perth news ltd did

the arlc put them in obviously because they believe it would work.

but with so many better clubs killed off as well as Perth it is what it is

flippikat

Bench
18 - Perth

19 & 20 added at the same time to avoid a weekly bye.

19 - NZ2 - Toss up between Christchurch & Wellington as base, I'd say Christchurch slight faves due to the sporting culture there, new covered stadium & built-in rivalry with Auckland

20 - Brisbane 3 - likely the Brisbane Easts bid - especially if they can link with the Western Corridor.. but I can't discount the chance of some other bid emerging to snatch it.

Latest posts