What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Immortal
thats not what he said at all lol. He said NRl should go to 20 and include perth and those two. comprehension not a strong point? The big fella advocated for 18 clubs with Perth being the priority.
No mention of Brisbane 3 from either of them though lol.
Gus did and what Gus wants Gus gets

jammer argued with brohman when he said Perth

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gus did and what Gus wants Gus gets

jammer argued with brohman when he said Perth
he argued with him about not going to 20 teams, not about Perth, did you even watch it ?

as for Gould:
Penrith chief Phil Gould believes the NRL should expand the competition to 20 teams and split the league into two conferences.
"I think our game has to look at particularly those two locations [Brisbane and Perth]. It's a conversation that should be going on."

The NRL should have a second club in Brisbane and a team in Perth before the next broadcast rights deal, Phil Gould says.
The Penrith Panthers football boss and Channel Nine commentator believes that the NRL should then create a second team in Auckland. That would mean the NRL could play games in Brisbane and Auckland every weekend.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Immortal
he argued with him about not going to 20 teams, not about Perth, did you even watch it ?

as for Gould:
Penrith chief Phil Gould believes the NRL should expand the competition to 20 teams and split the league into two conferences.
"I think our game has to look at particularly those two locations [Brisbane and Perth]. It's a conversation that should be going on."

The NRL should have a second club in Brisbane and a team in Perth before the next broadcast rights deal, Phil Gould says.
The Penrith Panthers football boss and Channel Nine commentator believes that the NRL should then create a second team in Auckland. That would mean the NRL could play games in Brisbane and Auckland every weekend.
I missed the bit about two conferences

you know which one Perth will be in

Centy Coast

Juniors
I copy and pasted this from The Den - North Sydney Bears True Supporters Group Facebook Page:

By pure chance at a function yesterday, overheard someone, obviously a friend of a top NRL official (or the best bullshitter ever), mid conversation with another person re the entry of the Dolphins. Here's the points I remember...
1). He said any new team these days needs to have $20mill plus the confidence of the board they will be financially sustainable and well managed.
2). The NRL are not enthusiastic about anywhere west of NSW/QLD given the Storm has been successful onfield and offfield but only has 2% of the market in VIC. They cannot afford to sustain/support a team in WA or SA in tough times. Melbourne made them realise that, plus GWS's battle to penetrate western Sydney.
3). They will get more bang for buck by developing their obvious future market, given the likelihood that most NRL players in the future with have Pacific origins (i.e. fish where the fishes are).
4). He was complimentary of the Bears financial situation and CEO....he doesn't believe any PNG based consortium would be able to match the backing/experience of the Bears, and it could be a good fit. They want mainly PNG and a few Fiji/Tonga/Samoa home games
5Unfortunately, he said there will never be another team btw North Sydney to Newcastle, it's too congested.

t-ba

Post Whore
Accept fate, form consortium with Perth or the South Island.

Canterbury's colours are red and black and that is a sexy new stadium in Christchurch.

Still hands down the stupidest decision ever to abandon the pile of money that was the North Shore.

Wb1234

Immortal
I copy and pasted this from The Den - North Sydney Bears True Supporters Group Facebook Page:

By pure chance at a function yesterday, overheard someone, obviously a friend of a top NRL official (or the best bullshitter ever), mid conversation with another person re the entry of the Dolphins. Here's the points I remember...
1). He said any new team these days needs to have $20mill plus the confidence of the board they will be financially sustainable and well managed.
2). The NRL are not enthusiastic about anywhere west of NSW/QLD given the Storm has been successful onfield and offfield but only has 2% of the market in VIC. They cannot afford to sustain/support a team in WA or SA in tough times. Melbourne made them realise that, plus GWS's battle to penetrate western Sydney.
3). They will get more bang for buck by developing their obvious future market, given the likelihood that most NRL players in the future with have Pacific origins (i.e. fish where the fishes are).
4). He was complimentary of the Bears financial situation and CEO....he doesn't believe any PNG based consortium would be able to match the backing/experience of the Bears, and it could be a good fit. They want mainly PNG and a few Fiji/Tonga/Samoa home games
5Unfortunately, he said there will never be another team btw North Sydney to Newcastle, it's too congested.
Dunno vlanyds has been positive about Perth lately so I’ll be shocked if Perth isn’t team 19

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only way we will ever see the red and black and bears logo in the NRL is if NSLC agrees to hand over the brand to a new consortium. No one is accepting them owning and running a club in another city. Perth ahs said no, PNG has said no. If there is ever a NZ option I'm sure their kiwi bidding consortiums will say no. NRL wont allow NS to own and run a club in a different state. Given what we've heard from NS so far its not going to happen.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Only way we will ever see the red and black and bears logo in the NRL is if NSLC agrees to hand over the brand to a new consortium. No one is accepting them owning and running a club in another city. Perth ahs said no, PNG has said no. If there is ever a NZ option I'm sure their kiwi bidding consortiums will say no. NRL wont allow NS to own and run a club in a different state. Given what we've heard from NS so far its not going to happen.
I totally agree, the Bears are shooting themselves in the foot, honestly I am 110% behind Perth, what the Bears can offer WA with a feeder arrangement etc, etc.
I don’t care about having a game played at North Sydney Oval, why give Manly the advantage of travelling 20 mins from their home ground, make them travel across Australia on a six hour Jetstar flight with no leg room lol.
There will be more than enough away games played in Sydney with 9 teams in Sydney and 11 teams in NSW.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I totally agree, the Bears are shooting themselves in the foot, honestly I am 110% behind Perth, what the Bears can offer WA with a feeder arrangement etc, etc.
I don’t care about having a game played at North Sydney Oval, why give Manly the advantage of travelling 20 mins from their home ground, make them travel across Australia on a six hour Jetstar flight with no leg room lol.
There will be more than enough away games played in Sydney with 9 teams in Sydney and 11 teams in NSW.
Yep I'd have no problem at all if the NSLC said to the WA consortium "You can have our brand and colours as WA Bears but we want a lifetime guarantee as the feeder club and if you want to change branding in anyway we have final say".

I dont even have a problem with NSLC buying a game from the WA Bears to be played in Sydney if they want to front up the cash for one and it benefits membership sales.

That is a win win for everyone and the only way the Bears brand will ever be back in the top flight.

Centy Coast

Juniors
When I was over in Perth recently many locals had very differing opinions on how many games a NRL Perth side should actually play in WA, one popular opinion was if Perth had 12 home games, 6 should be played in Perth and 6 between North Sydney Oval/ Central Coast Stadium, I was actually gobsmacked by this reply.
The main reason being was that they believed a Perth team wouldn’t/couldn’t consistently draw big crowds.

Bukowski

Bench
When I was over in Perth recently many locals had very differing opinions on how many games a NRL Perth side should actually play in WA, one popular opinion was if Perth had 12 home games, 6 should be played in Perth and 6 between North Sydney Oval/ Central Coast Stadium, I was actually gobsmacked by this reply.
The main reason being was that they believed a Perth team wouldn’t/couldn’t consistently draw big crowds.
I find this very hard to believe.

Centy Coast

Juniors
You and me both lol, the first guy who mentioned this was connected with the Willagee Bears whom I was talking to at the NRL double header at Optus Stadium.
Then a week later I was at George Burnett Oval to watch the local league between Fremantle v South Perth, to which there were a few similar comments.

jim_57

Staff member
You and me both lol, the first guy who mentioned this was connected with the Willagee Bears whom I was talking to at the NRL double header at Optus Stadium.
Then a week later I was at George Burnett Oval to watch the local league between Fremantle v South Perth, to which there were a few similar comments.

To be fair the opinions of random punters aren’t really NRL club boardroom quality opinions, thankfully.

Unless that club boardroom is the Tigers maybe.

Centy Coast

Juniors
To be fair the opinions of random punters aren’t really NRL club boardroom quality opinions, thankfully.

Unless that club boardroom is the Tigers maybe.
True but it was interesting just talking in general to people around Perth, Scarborough etc and hearing various locals thoughts on a WA NRL team, especially at the local footy where clubs like Fremantle, South Perth, North Beach and Willagee were playing.

Reflector

Bench

Too congested?

Lol.

Anybody who thinks the North Shore and CC (with 1+ million people) is too congested without a single NRL team needs their head read...

Centy Coast

Juniors
Too congested?

Lol.

Anybody who thinks the North Shore and CC (with 1+ million people) is too congested without a single NRL team needs their head read...
The NRL are not interested in another NSW team, we tried between 2010 and 2014 with the Central Coast Bears, we signed over 8,000 members, with clubs like the Roosters, Manly and Newcastle around the Central Coast will never have a team.
Look at the NRLW, Central Coast players fill most of the Roosters squad and players are in Nth QLD and Newcastle teams.
You could form a NRLW Central Coast team that would easily go close to winning that competition.

MugaB

Coach
I would, as most people would think if your taking your team and "brand" over to a foreign area that you would be sharing the home grounds... obviously this wont be the case... i personally don't care who owns the licence as long as the bulk of the games are perth based, having one token game in sydney should be fine, but they have trials in the pre season, just use both games at nso, and keep all home clashes at HBF park, or if it had to be one proper home game, play it at Gosford or SFS ffs

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach

as for Gould:

You know this was brought up 4-5 years ago, whatever these articles are suggesting from your point of view mean nothing now as gus is now at the bulldogs, after he was at the warriors along with covid, and prior to that the panthers, so a lot has happened for gus's pov and his selections for expansion may have changed since then, but for the most part he is pretty sound with the conferences concept, and Brisbane2, Perth, and Auckland2, all that leaving one expansion licence left for the 20 team comp...
The most important factor in the article is that he states the stakeholders aren't the NRL or the ARLC its the Clubs they represent... any expansion bid needs to prove to all of those clubs that they are worth the effort... brisbane2 is done, and being in Brisbane every week is ticked off, a second club/derby in NZ is a must, whether is another Auckland or elsewhere in NZ, it needs to be looked at, and Perth and PNG are my picks for the overall 20, but we cant have perth without player pool increasing, or a damn good source of talent/feeder club... so hurry the fụck up and saddle with the bears get it over with perf!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thats pretty dumb imo. We need regular games to build regular attendance culture. Sell corprparate packages and sponsorships etc
I think to say there wouldnt be the following is a bit naïve given the number of RL fans in Perth and also how perth generally likes to get behind its clubs actively.

No club bar one or two draws big crowds consistently. Its a combination of venue, ko time, opposition and how well the team is going. Perth will be no different to the rest of the league in that regards. Hopefully if we consistently get that 4pm Sunday slot AWST that will help a great deal with crowds.

Latest posts