What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
So half the phins
no, just over half. 56% to be exact.
30 years ago in a city half the size it is now at a horrible stadium in the glare of a brewing war.

Dolphins have done great off the field, as we expected any second Brisbane side would. memberships tick, crowds tick, sponsors tick. They've performed decent enough on the field as well and signed some talent for next year.

All positive expansion and should give the NRl confidence to keep growing. Lets hope the dolphins can keep it up now once the first season boost settles.

Wb1234

Immortal
no, just over half. 56% to be exact.
30 years ago in a city half the size it is now at a horrible stadium in the glare of a brewing war.

Dolphins have done great off the field, as we expected any second Brisbane side would. memberships tick, crowds tick, sponsors tick. They've performed decent enough on the field as well and signed some talent for next year.

All positive expansion and should give the NRl confidence to keep growing. Lets hope the dolphins can keep it up now once the first season boost settles.
Your ability to polish a turd is unrivalled

dolphins crowds going to drop because titans did

but don’t judge Perth on half their crowds cause they are different

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just treat any nrl bid how you treat Perth

then we can have a good discussion
I give my opinion on the strengths and weaknesses of all the possible expansion options, I champion one out of self interest (and becasue I think its a strong outcome for rugby league in Australia) and have no shame in doing that.

PNG- flat no
NZ2 - yes if someone comes forward to back it properly
Adelaide - maybe with a lot of work
Perth - no brainer
South Brisbane - eventually but not a priority
Melbourne2 - lol at Vlandys stupidity

Vee

First Grade
PNG- flat no
Perth - no brainer
Agree

Wb1234

Immortal
I give my opinion on the strengths and weaknesses of all the possible expansion options, I champion one out of self interest (and becasue I think its a strong outcome for rugby league in Australia) and have no shame in doing that.

PNG- flat no
Perth - no brainer
We all have our favourites here

you seem to get carried away with your bias

Perth will have many problems with its bid which you gloss over

Perth is a long term project which will yield a decent sized club. Maybe after 20 years they would be as strong as the dolphins or easts tigers would be from day one

that’s the point

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth is a long term project which will yield a decent sized club. Maybe after 20 years they would be as strong as the dolphins or easts tigers would be from day one

that’s the point
In a new market. not one that is already well serviced for NRL. That's the real point. Growth not just consolidation. Thats why Id have Perth, NZ2 (not Auckland) and Adelaide. All markets to grow the game with new audiences.

blue bags

First Grade
Last clubs admitted to NRL 1st year avg's

Warriors 26.4k
Dolphins 24k
Cowboys 21.6k
Titans 21.5k
Crushers 21.4k
Knights 20.6k
Broncos 16.1k
Adelaide 15.3k
Perth 13.4k
Melbourne 12.7k
Gold Coast 5.5k
Hunter 5.4k
Northern Eagles ? Steelers ?

Wb1234

Immortal
In a new market. not one that is already well serviced for NRL. That's the real point. Growth not just consolidation. Thats why Id have Perth, NZ2 (not Auckland) and Adelaide. All markets to grow the game with new audiences.
Long term projects vs clubs with an immediate payoff

lucky for you the dolphins have been the success they have been which has made the arlc more open to take risk

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Northern Eagles ? Steelers ?
Northern Eagles 13019 (2002)
Illawarra Steelers 8222 (1982)

the Eagles Average declined to 9331 in 2002

The Steelers attendances stayed similar for the rest of the 80s then increased to over 13k in 1992 before dropping back under 10k by the time they merged with St George

and if we’re including mergers:

Wests Tigers 12124
St George-Illawarra Dragons 13259

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
By that metric we didn't need the dolphins or titans coz broncos already service SEQ, you're think dots on a map, rather than where a team will flourish or be capable to grow and be competitive, otherwise we might as well add Singapore and Qatar if your looking to boost those metrics
Real growth is a new "club" that can grow its own footprint on its own with its own participation, and can rival the remainder of the comps clubs, otherwise why bother, if we need to feed it we'll just have another GWS in the NRL

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach

PNG- flat no
Perth - no brainer
Png flat no? Even though their's is the most far ahead furthest bid that has started to build its acedemic programs.
Nz2 doesnt exist, yet you say yes, now your just adding dots on a map.
Adelaide ditto.
Perth strong chance, with infrastructure, but not a no brainer as there is no quality reserve grade talent there, that and its distance will make it harder to attract marquee or just even average talent.
South Brisbane, or SEQ probably wont have anymore bids accepted as they just accepted the dolphins and want to see that prosper, not cut into the market, while in its infancy.
Melbourne 2 could happen if they are willing to invest in that bid, but they won't and it will tank as the crushers did but itll be via the storm this time , not newsltd bronx

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade
Png flat no? Even though there's is the most far ahead furthest bid that has started to build its acedemic programs.
Nz2 doesnt exist, yet you say yes, now your just adding dots on a map.
Adelaide ditto.
Perth strong chance, with infrastructure, but not a no brainer as there is no quality reserve grade talent there, that and its distance will make it harder to attract marquee or just even average talent.
South Brisbane, or SEQ probably wont anymore bids accepted as they just accepted the dolphins and want to see that prosper, not cut into the market, while in its infancy.
Melbourne 2 could happen if they are willing to invest in that bid, but they won't and it will tank as the crushers did via the storm
That leaves Penrith 2nd franchise
North Penrith Bear's 🐻
Mountain Bear's
Juniors in abundance
Massive growth areas
New stadium
😊

blue bags

First Grade

PNG- flat no
Perth - no brainer
Central coast
2nd Penrith
2nd Melbourne
2nd Newcastle
So many options 😁

Latest posts