What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

yes I'm sceptical there is all this untapped talent across Brisbane being missed by NRL clubs... adding another NRL team may lead to a bit of extra money going into the local grassroots but it's not going to unearth all these brilliant first graders who were lingering in QLD cup or lower...
You think a Perth team will lead to more quality players progressing to the NRL than another one in Brisbane?

The quality of the QRL system is lightyears ahead of Perth. There are players stuck in the Queensland Cup that would be very good at NRL level if they were given the opportunity.

Last edited:
Yes that is my point. You don’t need more teams to discover the talent. If the Brisbane teams miss them, surely other clubs will be watching.
So you want Brisbane to be a farming ground for parasitic clubs from Melbourne and Perth?

The argument goes both ways. If a player in Perth is good enough then they will be noticed and picked up by one of the existing 17 clubs. The advantage is they'll get to move to a city that isn't stuck in the 20th century.

Theres already 4 clubs spending on jnrs in SEQ, would another make much difference? Besides its quite possible that a new club will partner with a SEQ QRL club so ticks that box any way as well as where that club is based.
Two for one!
Parasite.

Aren't you always demanding the ARLC throw millions of dollars at the WARL and "hope" it magically transforms 4k hopeless players that get belted by 50 points in SG Ball into slightly less hopeless players that only get belted by 30?

Vlad59

Bench
Here’s an idea. I suggest we do the following:

1. Build a big wall around the QLD and NSW borders to keep out all these parasites we keep reading about here.
2. Throw out any team in the NRL outside those boundaries. Get rid of all of them. To do this we’ll need to build a little wall around Canberra as well. Bloody parasites.
3. Issue 12 million red hats with the acronym ‘MRLGA’ on the front (make rugby league great again) to be worn by all within the borders 24 hours a day.
4. Appoint two generals with discretion to exterminate any parasites and refugees from outside QLD and NSW who try to penetrate the borders. I’m nominating GROTD to protect QLD and WB1234 to defend NSW.
5. Home bases for the generals will be in Logan and Balmain.
6. They will be responsible for a new army of defenders who will be named ‘The Boredom Force’.

(Apologies to Donald Trump)

Here’s an idea. I suggest we do the following:

1. Build a big wall around the QLD and NSW borders to keep out all these parasites we keep reading about here.
2. Throw out any team in the NRL outside those boundaries. Get rid of all of them. To do this we’ll need to build a little wall around Canberra as well. Bloody parasites.
3. Issue 12 million red hats with the acronym ‘MRLGA’ on the front (make rugby league great again) to be worn by all within the borders 24 hours a day.
4. Appoint two generals with discretion to exterminate any parasites and refugees from outside QLD and NSW who try to penetrate the borders. I’m nominating GROTD to protect QLD and WB1234 to defend NSW.
5. Home bases for the generals will be in Logan and Balmain.
6. They will be responsible for a new army of defenders who will be named ‘The Boredom Force’.

(Apologies to Donald Trump)
You can't keep Victorians away from southeast Queensland. You could put the army at the border and they'll still keep coming up in their Falcons and Commodores, dressed in fumbleball guernseys and bouncing Sherrins every 50 km when they stop to have a piss.

Congrats on proving wb1234's claim wrong you dumb merkin. He's the one that said juniors in the western corridor can't play NRL because there's no team there.
Did he say all juniors from the western corridor cannot play in the NRL?

There were plenty of quality BRL players who never got a chance at the Broncos in the 90s. They were stuck in the BRL/Queensland Cup. Many of them would have been very good players in the NSWRL/ARL. Players like Paul Green only got a chance in the NSWRL because his coach and CEO at the Easts Tigers were recruited by Cronulla and brought him with them. He went on to win player of the year.

Canard

Immortal
The quality of the QRL system is lightyears ahead of Perth. There are players stuck in the Queensland Cup that would be very good at NRL level if they were given the opportunity.

Of course, that talent can only be unlocked if there is 18 teams, not the 17 that exist now.

Amazingly QLD produces less then 20% of the total NRL squads now, but for some reason any new team not in Brisbane is victimising the BRL!!!!

Jamberoo

Juniors
So you want Brisbane to be a farming ground for parasitic clubs from Melbourne and Perth?

The argument goes both ways. If a player in Perth is good enough then they will be noticed and picked up by one of the existing 17 clubs. The advantage is they'll get to move to a city that isn't stuck in the 20th century.
Whilst I do like the idea of local players, the reality is that in the modern sporting world, players come from anywhere and everywhere. It doesn’t bother me at all that Storm has no born and bred Victorians in the team. BBL players don’t play for their home state, nor does anyone in US sport.

So, yes, very happy for Brisbane to provide players for teams outside the heartland.

Colk

First Grade
Whilst I do like the idea of local players, the reality is that in the modern sporting world, players come from anywhere and everywhere. It doesn’t bother me at all that Storm has no born and bred Victorians in the team. BBL players don’t play for their home state, nor does anyone in US sport.

So, yes, very happy for Brisbane to provide players for teams outside the heartland.

Expecting a pretty heated response to this one.

Perth Red

Post Whore

There is no direct pathway to nrl for Perth players. There are 4 in s/sw brisbane for Brisbane players. No need for an nrl club there.

Melbourne should have to pay money to the QRL for every player they poach.

It's very hypocritical for "expansionists" to say Brisbane should have just two teams so that unsustainable parasites like Melbourne and Perth can poach our best players.