What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

I think there are a couple of factors here:

1. I would seriously look at population trends. Where is the population going and plan your business around it

2. People are in agreement with the idea that you can have an extra Brisbane side but we really should be at the point now that adding more teams in Queensland and New South Wales is a secondary concern.

3. Further to the point above, there is a limit to the amount of teams you can have. Therefore, with that in mind, why would you not look at new markets rather than existing ones?

I'll never agree with limiting Brisbane to just two teams while Sydney has nine.

docbrown

Coach
Could any of the existing Sydney NRL club relocate full time to Brisbane and be accepted as a Brisbane team? For instance, Wests Tigers merge with Brisbane Tigers and play out of Lang Park.

Meanwhile in Sydney offer a 4 game away membership for SFS (Rabbitohs, Roosters, Dragons and Sharks) for inner west fans. And perhaps another away membership package against Panthers, Eels and Bulldogs at Parramatta Stadium etc.

greenBV4

Bench
Perth have little chance against this bid

Perth have really fumbled the bag not tieing up the bears when they needed a partner
Partner.. would suggest common goals and working in unison towards a shared vision

It's clear the Bears goal is exploit expansion to initially gain a licence, then whiteant their way across the continent back to the park footy ground in North Sydney

Not a great partner

greenBV4

Bench
they will help png enenormously
How and why would a club in North Sydney help PNG at all?
I’d rather wait and have a proper perth club with a long term future.
I'd rather wait and see a proper PNG club too

The only value the bears bring with their current non negotiables is for the very select few who want a club back at NSO, they're shackles devalue any expansion area

That doesnt happen now and half U20 year old PNG lads now would love to be in NRL. In reality you'd need a significant shift in PNG pathway development and funding, and NRL clubs attitudes and scouting to change. Not sure if youve seen the conditions kids are currently learning RL in across PNG?

Like I said the main reason there are so many Kiwis and Pi'ers in the NRL is because families emigrate to Australia or clubs scout and pick up kids at 15 and move them over to Australia. Its little to do with the Warriors being in the NRL.

The biggest issue facing aspiring rugby league players in PNG is malnutrition. A calorie deficient diet during childhood leads to stunted growth.

Could any of the existing Sydney NRL club relocate full time to Brisbane and be accepted as a Brisbane team? For instance, Wests Tigers merge with Brisbane Tigers and play out of Lang Park.

Meanwhile in Sydney offer a 4 game away membership for SFS (Rabbitohs, Roosters, Dragons and Sharks) for inner west fans. And perhaps another away membership package against Panthers, Eels and Bulldogs at Parramatta Stadium etc.

If the club's licence was given to the Easts Tigers then it could work, but only if they rebrand to Brisbane Tigers. The club would need to be a Brisbane-based club with no ties to Sydney.

What do the Wests Tigers provide to the NRL?

They have no identity and are split between two warring factions. They choose to play out of suburban dumps like Leichhardt and Campbelltown. This hurts their bottom line because these venues cannot generate much revenue from corporate hospitality. There's no way this club will ever be able to compete with the big guns when they're using an outdated model that leaves them generating half as much as the Cowboys, Eels and Rabbitohs.

Latest posts