What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Pippen94

First Grade
Perth Rat is always going on about how a "successful" Perth team can generate 15k at PRS.

What if the club is unsuccessful?

He never talks about how many fans an unsuccessful Perth club would draw.

TBH, 15K for a "successful" club in a city the size of Perth is shit.

It's just a bold prediction with no basis. Probably the reason the NRL isn't answering calls from Cumins..

They are no worse than some sydney clubs that have been around for a lot longer.
Fair point. The counter argument is Sydney is an over saturated market. Gold Coast is a one team market.

Robina Stadium is superior to Penrith Football Stadium, Leichhardt, Brookvale, Kogarah, Shark Park, Belmore, Wollongong and arguably Stadium Australia. The club went bust twice and required bailing out.

Titans should have done far better, both on and off the field. I want to see the club thrive, FWIW, but I've given up waiting for a positive turnaround because they always leave me disappointed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fair point. The counter argument is Sydney is an over saturated market. Gold Coast is a one team market.

Robina Stadium is superior to Penrith Football Stadium, Leichhardt, Brookvale, Kogarah, Shark Park, Belmore, Wollongong and arguably Stadium Australia. The club went bust twice and required bailing out.

Titans should have done far better, both on and off the field. I want to see the club thrive, FWIW, but I've given up waiting for a positive turnaround because they always leave me disappointed.
They remind me of warriors, so much untapped potential. They need to get a decent CEO who can turn them into something.

Wb1234

Referee

Harsh on the titans

they are winning the battle with a hugely cashed up afl for the city with no help from the nrl

Canard

Immortal
NRL will be paying the $2m a year not the bid team. Throw in the club grant that is $50m a year PNG is costing.

The revenue doesn't grow if the NRL is forking out that each year because the business model doesn't stack up.

Like the WA bid, You would expect the big mining companies to be onboard.

Santos naming rights for the Stadium for starters becomes more valuable.

Again the NRL doesn't want to lose money on expansion so will have all the ducks in arow or won't go there.

They could bring in another Brisbane team and get more from TV, PNG is a want not a need

So you are hoping that a NRL team in PNG can be sustainable without government subsidy?

How? Purely through sponsorship? Thats not sustainable.

They will make no money from game day revenue, no money from merchandise and no money from corporates.

It doesn't work without government (taxpayer dollars), simple as that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth Rat is always going on about how a "successful" Perth team can generate 15k at PRS.

What if the club is unsuccessful?

He never talks about how many fans an unsuccessful Perth club would draw.

TBH, 15K for a "successful" club in a city the size of Perth is shit.
lol didnt Dolphins get 14k a week or two ago? Some games draw sht, some draw great. Such is life. a 17k avg is very doable for a well run club.

Iamback

Coach
So you are hoping that a NRL team in PNG can be sustainable without government subsidy?

How? Purely through sponsorship? Thats not sustainable.

They will make no money from game day revenue, no money from merchandise and no money from corporates.

It doesn't work without government (taxpayer dollars), simple as that.

I would expect they won't be admitted without being able to stand on their own. Or there is no point because the game won't grow if a team is a money pit

Hunters have 9 sponsors not including the Australian govt.

I'd assume most of them are prepared to upgrade should the team get in.

CAT forklifts for example service over here as well.

Mining companies like Santos are naming rights of the stadium. Were once Wallabies sponsors so have shown an interest in sponsorship.

Coke is over there and one of the bigger employers there. Again Mt Franklin and Powerade were once NRL sponsors

You'd assume some type of temporary stand/tents as they do for F1 and other events to improve corporate facilites at their home games.

Pippen94

First Grade
I would expect they won't be admitted without being able to stand on their own. Or there is no point because the game won't grow if a team is a money pit

Hunters have 9 sponsors not including the Australian govt.

I'd assume most of them are prepared to upgrade should the team get in.

CAT forklifts for example service over here as well.

Mining companies like Santos are naming rights of the stadium. Were once Wallabies sponsors so have shown an interest in sponsorship.

Coke is over there and one of the bigger employers there. Again Mt Franklin and Powerade were once NRL sponsors

You'd assume some type of temporary stand/tents as they do for F1 and other events to improve corporate facilites at their home games.

Are there any sponsorship opportunities after the dockers & eagles get all the money?!

Jamberoo

Juniors
Harsh on the titans

they are winning the battle with a hugely cashed up afl for the city with no help from the nrl
In what ways are they winning the battle? What has changed over the past 15 years in relation to NRL v AFL. I would say both Titans and Suns have been equally disappointing on and off the paddock. Participation has grown for both codes but isn’t that just a reflection of GC changing demographics?

Latest posts