What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: India v Australia @ Nagpur Feb 9-13, 2023

TheParraboy

Staff member
Our next international fixture is overseas and one month away, right after the BBL final (Feb 4)

Disgusting how we dont have a warm up game over there, most of the test squad will be playing 4 weeks of BBL as warm up. Without Me - eminem :rolleyes: (For those of you without fox, thats the promo song they been playng the last few days welcoming the test players back to bbl from the 9th)

Got a weird dejavu feeling they pick Jon Holland as 2nd spinner, who will probably be the only one in the squad playing red ball cricket next 4 weeks (club cricket). They also probably stick with Agar cause he can bat and is a good team player 🥺

We may have a chance if we bat first and post a huge total. Something we havent been able to do a lot of the time over here. We potentially could be without Green and Starc for the first test - happy days

To regain the Border/Gavaskar trophy we need to win the series - good luck with that

Australia predicted squad and team news​

• Pat Cummins (c)
  • Ashton Agar
  • Scott Boland
  • Alex Carey
  • Cameron Green
  • Josh Hazlewood
  • Marcus Harris
  • Travis Head
  • Usman Khawaja
  • Marnus Labuschagne
  • Nathan Lyon
  • Matt Renshaw
  • Steve Smith
  • Mitchell Starc
  • Mitchell Swepson
  • David Warner
Don't expect to see too many changes in the Australian squad, with a dominant home summer and plenty of in-form players allowing for a balanced set-up. Ashton Agar and Mitchell Swepson have their noses in front of Todd Murphy and Matthew Kuhnemann for the secondary spinner roles, while the likes of Lance Morris and Michael Neser are expected to miss out as seamers. Matt Renshaw will fly to India after making a long-awaited return to the Test arena and could slot in the top or middle order. Marcus Harris will also likely be involved despite not featuring during the home summer.

Australia predicted 1st Test XI and team news​

1. David Warner
  2. Usman Khawaja
  3. Marnus Labuschagne
  4. Steve Smith
  5. Travis Head
  6. Matt Renshaw
  7. Alex Carey
  8. Ashton Agar
  9. Pat Cummins (c)
  10. Nathan Lyon
  11. Josh Hazlewood
Mitchell Starc and Cameron Green are touch-and-go for the series opener against India, after both players suffered finger injuries during the Boxing Day Test against South Africa. Their potential absences will likely be filled by the same men who stepped up for Sydney in the form of Renshaw and Agar, with the Aussies expected to go with a two-pronged spin attack and just two seamers. Green would replace Renshaw in the side if he is fit for the second Test.

India predicted squad and team news​

• KL Rahul (c)
  • Ravichandran Ashwin
  • Srikar Bharat
  • Shreyas Iyer
  • Virat Kohli
  • Kuldeep Yadav
  • Mohammad Siraj
  • Axar Patel
  • Cheteshwar Pujara
  • Ajinkya Rahane
  • Navdeep Saini
  • Shubman Gill
  • Jasprit Bumrah
  • Ravindra Jadeja
  • Rohit Sharma
  • Umesh Yadav
Jasprit Bumrah is the major change expected to the Indian squad for the series against Australia, after the tearaway quick was confirmed to return from injury for the white-ball series against Sri Lanka. Ajinkya Rahane has been in strong first-class form as he pushes for a Test recall, but is unlikely to crack the final side at this stage. Rishabh Pant is unlikely to feature during the series after being involved in a car accident in December, with back-up keeper Srikar Bharat expected to take his spot.

India predicted 1st Test XI and team news​

1. Shubman Gill
  2. KL Rahul (c)
  3. Cheteshwar Pujara
  4. Virat Kohli
  5. Axar Patel
  6. Rohit Sharma
  7. Srikar Bharat
  8. Ravindra Jadeja
  9. Ravichandran Ashwin
  10. Umesh Yadav
  11. Jasprit Bumrah
Bumrah is likely to come straight into the final side, putting the likes of Umesh Yadav, Mohammed Siraj and Navdeep Saini in a battle for the other main seam option. India will likely go into the match with two front-line spinners, as both Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja are expected to feature prominently throughout the series.

Last edited:

bazza

Immortal
We may have a chance if we bat first and post a huge total. Something we havent been able to do a lot of the time over here. We potentially could be without Green and Starc for the first test - happy days
This is the thing that will win games - not whatever 2nd spinner we pick. Question marks will be on Warner and Head in Indian conditions

If you are only getting 200 odd you aren't going to win many games no matter who your bowlers are

Fangs

Coach

Our last tour back in 2017:

David Warner (vc)
Matt Renshaw
Steve Smith (c)
Shaun Marsh
Usman Khawaja
Peter Handscomb
Matthew Wade (wk)

Mitchell Marsh
Glenn Maxwell
Marcus Stoinis*

Jackson Bird
Josh Hazlewood
Mitchell Starc
Pat Cummins**

Ashton Agar
Nathan Lyon
Steve O'Keefe
Mitchell Swepson

*Stoinis replaced M.Marsh (Injured)
**Cummins replaced Starc (Injured)

---

So we went with 4 spinners (Or 3 plus one slow bowler in Agar).

Mitch Marsh and Glenn Maxwell are both injured so I guess selectors see Agar as the all-round option if Green goes down. And I'd like to think M.Stoinis isn't in the picture.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Be interesting to see who the second spinner is, Agar did nothing in the last test to earn that spot, I didn't like what I saw of Swepson.

We seem to have a few finger spinner options but we really need a good wristy, not just for India but for when the boat retires which may not be far off.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I think Australia have won the toss & batted first in 9 of the last 10 tests they have played in India. It hasn't really made much difference.

2016/17 - 3/4
2012/13 - 4/4
2010/11 - 2/2

This team batting feels stronger to those above but even that 16/17 series we gave it everything with Smudge putting in Bradman like numbers and we still fell short.

Considering India have won out here twice since i dont think we win.

We need a spinner to pull out a SOK Pune performance again i reckon to rock india off kilter.

Fangs

Coach
Smith was unreal that series. Arguably better than his 2019 Ashes.

Stronger top order for this series. Khawaja/Smith/Labs all in great form. Even better if Warner can tonk out a couple quick 50s. So there should be more support for Smith this time around.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Our strength is our pace attack and Green's fitness is the key. If he is fit you play 2 pacemen, Cummins and Starc, and 2 spinners Lyon and ?.

If Green isn't fit play 3 paceman and 2 spinners and elevate Carey to 6.

Who the 2nd spinner is i don't know but it can't be Agar

King-Gutho94

Coach
Stronger top order for this series. Khawaja/Smith/Labs all in great form. Even better if Warner can tonk out a couple quick 50s. So there should be more support for Smith this time around.
Well Khawaja was in form last time.

We left him on the bench because he couldn't play spin apparently another genius selection.

While we had Shaun Marsh score 6 single digit scores in the series. Yes he helped save the ranchi test with Handscomb but his efforts across the series made it a wasted selection.

mozza91

Coach
If Agar is actually our 2nd best spin option I’d play with 3 quicks and Lyon even on the dust bowls. Labs, Head and Smith bowling part time is more of a threat than Agar.

Fangs

Coach
Well Khawaja was in form last time.

We left him on the bench because he couldn't play spin apparently another genius selection.

While we had Shaun Marsh score 6 single digit scores in the series. Yes he helped save the ranchi test with Handscomb but his efforts across the series made it a wasted selection.

If Khawaja gets dropped on the India tour I'll totally give up. He is a mandatory selection for all tests.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think Australia have won the toss & batted first in 9 of the last 10 tests they have played in India. It hasn't really made much difference.

2016/17 - 3/4
2012/13 - 4/4
2010/11 - 2/2

This team batting feels stronger to those above but even that 16/17 series we gave it everything with Smudge putting in Bradman like numbers and we still fell short.

Considering India have won out here twice since i dont think we win.

We need a spinner to pull out a SOK Pune performance again i reckon to rock india off kilter.

2017 was quite a close series considering we were supposed to lose 0-4. Smith was a gun, no one else got near him in runs. Like to think we are better equipped batting wise, we just wont win a test batting second over there.

Hoping Swepson is picked and steps up