What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: New Zealand v Australia @ Basin Reserve Wellington Feb 29 - Mar 4, 2024

JJ

Immortal
we’re at least 100 runs out of this one and if we get within 150 runs, we can hold our head high(ish) and rue that second day
Some questions need to be addressed about day 2, Latham, Kuggeleijn and selections more generally

Meth

Staff member
Wading into the follow on debate, I believe this game would be over if they enforced follow on.

Australia still raging favourites, but they could be certainties and having a couple days off

Meth

Staff member
It might seem obvious to point to the failure of the NZ batsmen as being the obvious reason for a looming loss, but that 10th wicket partnership between Green and Hazelwood, particularly on day 2, is where this match was (probably) lost. Just listless bowling, bereft of ideas to take a final wicket, despite having all night to hatch a plan.

Reactions: JJ

Meth

Staff member
NZ are going to need all of their skill, but also more than their fair share of luck here.

Meth

Staff member
Also, while I'm here, is Nathan Lyon the best night watchman of all time?

Meth

Staff member
These are good runs here, providing they continue. NZ were pinned on their crease. Runs on the board and patience are the remedy.

Meth

Staff member
These are good runs here, providing they continue. NZ were pinned on their crease. Runs on the board and patience are the remedy.

lol as I was writing this, I thought to myself 'I bet they get a wicket now'

Meth

Staff member
That was a sensational ball from Lyon. The bounce surprised Williamson and the trap worked. Smart catch by Smith. Forgettable test from Williamson