What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightward

Juniors
Pricing for tickets is a major concern. Some of the entry fees are just exorbitant. When you consider that even concession entry is going to set you back $18 at a minimum and you're staring down the barrel of $4 bottles of 600mL coke (double what you'd ordinarily pay) you could very easily be staring down the barrel of 100+ to take the family out for an afternoon at the football. That's just deranged.

In an era where you can get pay TV and watch most games from home live for a full season at the price of taking your family to two games, why would you even consider it?
Brisbane (and, I believe, the Gold Coast) takes the edge off things by giving free public transport to and from the game, but even that is of minimal assistance. On one hand, charging such high prices per game is a great incentive to buy a season ticket (especially if your club runs something like the Broncos' Die Hard Fan package- full season for $165 regardless of whether you're full fare or concession, averaging out to about $13 a game), but on the other, if you're a shift worker or casual and can't attend every game, odds are you'll just watch the telly. The fact Channel Nein and Fox Sports get to decide what games are played when doesn't help much, either.

As far as the Broncos season opener goes, I think the Queensland teams deserve the opportunity to create a local derby tradition the same way Sydney teams have. If the draw can be set up to accomodate a Roosters/Rabbits traditional match in the first round of each season, the least they can do is let two Queensland teams square off on a rotational basis. Admittedly it would be better to host the game at Suncorp for a garuanteed sellout, but 27,500 at Skilled or filling Dairy Farmers is also a sure bet for a season-opener against fellow Queensland teams.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Timmah said:
Then why did they manage to drag less than 20,000 into the SFS? Of all the weekend crowds, in terms of bums on seats, surely that game rates as the worst of the lot...

Cricket next door didn't help, as there were a few thousand over there watching NSW.

Ice777

Bench
lockyno1 said:
Cricket next door didn't help, as there were a few thousand over there watching NSW.

Yep, that would've had a massive impact on crowd numbers :sarcasm:

Nightward

Juniors
I dunno, man. Cricket's attendance numbers have been down for a while (largely for the same reasons as League's have) but it was still a State game. If Australia had been playing, it might be a factor, but the domestic competition is really only attended by hard-core fans.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I was there on Sunday, there were quite a few more than I thought. I know 3-4,000 isn't a lot, but think of the other factors. Less people would want to drive in for the league as thereis less parking and I know a few people who said this to me. The game should have been played at Campbelltown.

nqboy

First Grade
Nightward said:
As far as the Broncos season opener goes, I think the Queensland teams deserve the opportunity to create a local derby tradition the same way Sydney teams have. If the draw can be set up to accomodate a Roosters/Rabbits traditional match in the first round of each season, the least they can do is let two Queensland teams square off on a rotational basis. Admittedly it would be better to host the game at Suncorp for a garuanteed sellout, but 27,500 at Skilled or filling Dairy Farmers is also a sure bet for a season-opener against fellow Queensland teams.
What, like starting with GC v NQ for example?

Dakink

Bench
Hey Timmah,

Any chance of getting the rounds figures out into your first post like the last few years?

More so for the lazy bastards like me who like to quickly glance at the stats without trawling through the whole thread...:D

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It would be rendered pointless pretty quick, can't edit posts once 30 days has passed if that makes sense - if I make a post today I can only edit it for the next month or so before the edit button disappears. :(

Nightward

Juniors
What, like starting with GC v NQ for example?

Eh, I'd have preferred to open the season with a Broncos/Cowboys game that alternated between Suncorp and Dairy Farmers each year, the way they were trying to establish and continue a tradition, but clearly the NRL doesn't believe anyone outside of Sydney deserves to be able to use the words "NRL" and "tradition" in the same sentance.

Opening the season with a Brisbane/Gold Coast, Brisbane/North Queensland, or North Queensland/Gold Coast derby (alternating each year) is the next-best thing, though. I think it's fair enough that the Titans got the shot in the arm of a "local" derby this year being a new franchise and opening a new stadium, though.

It would be rendered pointless pretty quick, can't edit posts once 30 days has passed if that makes sense - if I make a post today I can only edit it for the next month or so before the edit button disappears.

Try PMing a moderator. Assuming the system here is similar to the BBcode boards I've modded on over the years, they should be able to edit any post regardless of how old it is.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm aware of that, but I don't think I'll find a mod who cares enough to do so...

As for BRIS/NQ match, this year it's R3 solely for the reason that night is supposed to celebrate 100 yrs of QRL.

JW

Coach
A few slightly dissapointing turnouts for the first round, though historically it was still very strong and compared to past seasons the spread in the crowds didn't seem as wide. Solid start overall and hopefully we'll see the new membership setup keeping the crowds reasonably consistent.

As for this week I reckon:

17,000 @ SFS - Minimum.
21,000 @ ANZ
15,000 @ Penrith
19,000 @ Newcastle - Could easily get low 20's.
20,000 @ Townsville
15,000 @ Mt. Smart
12,000 @ Melbourne - Too hard to tell with the Flogball, etc. Hopefully 15K.
16,000 @ Wollongong

Average - 16,875

t-ba

Post Whore
The weather's terrible. I actually miss Queensland.

Why they can't hold the Goosters v Drongos match in Brisbane at least every second year now that the Kebabs and the Mixos play on Good Friday as well is beyond me.

Kaplan

Juniors
JW said:
A few slightly dissapointing turnouts for the first round, though historically it was still very strong and compared to past seasons the spread in the crowds didn't seem as wide. Solid start overall and hopefully we'll see the new membership setup keeping the crowds reasonably consistent.

As for this week I reckon:

17,000 @ SFS - Minimum.
21,000 @ ANZ
15,000 @ Penrith
19,000 @ Newcastle - Could easily get low 20's.
20,000 @ Townsville
15,000 @ Mt. Smart
12,000 @ Melbourne - Too hard to tell with the Flogball, etc. Hopefully 15K.
16,000 @ Wollongong

Average - 16,875

Not a chance. Saints v tigers only drew 18,000 on a suny sunday arvo last week.

t-ba

Post Whore
Kaplan said:
Not a chance. Saints v tigers only drew 18,000 on a suny sunday arvo last week.

This used to consistently draw over 20k. I can remember a crowd of 23k in the driving rain.

I don't think it'll crack twenty, but with the Broncos big win and the Roosters looking good, I wouldn't be suprised.

Angry_eel

First Grade
The crowd isn't looking too good for the Roosters V Broncos match. or are the areas behing the tryline always empty?

Status
Not open for further replies.