What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

DINGb@T

Juniors
nqboy said:
I'm not sure it is. I think without Jo E and a strong side and with BS in charge causing all manner of drama, they might struggle to reproduce the crowds of a few years ago. Knights fans have shouted me down when I have suggested this before but that doesn't make them right.

We'll see I guess.

True.

Which wont help the weekly average at all. Having said that, if we avoid the terrible weather Sydney had last year we should thrash last years figure regardless.

Billythekid

First Grade
The last 2 seasons the knights fans have put up with a lot of crap both on and off the field. I think as the knights win a few games you'll see their crowds heading back up. I think it's understandable for them to be a bit low atm after what's happened at the club.

d3@t3h

Juniors
Does Gallop have ARU Calculator on loan?
0,5001,5941587,00.jpg

There where 20k there, but boy doesn't that picture look bad.
Please hurry up on the bubble stadium.

The Tank

Bench
d3@t3h said:
0,5001,5941587,00.jpg

:? It's just the angle of the photo. The lower tiers seemed alright. Great crowd, I was expecting 16k at the most. Well done Melbourne!

philstorm

Juniors
20k is an awesome result for the Storm considering we did better than 'traditional' clubs in the Tigers and Dragons.

lotti

Bench
d3@t3h said:
0,5001,5941587,00.jpg

the dome holds 60,000 and the upper levels had people in them it's just that everyone was on the first level. Would've looked better at OP, with that crowd it would've been standing room only.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Newie's crowds were destined to falter. With the exception of a surprisingly strong 2006 season - it's been a fairly lean few years. Iconic players have left, mismanagement, the rise of the Jets, and the club sucking week in and week out - it's hurt the city's interest.

A good year will see the crowds back to where they once were.

fanatique

Juniors
DINGb@T said:
Apparently 20,084 @ Melbourne. Not bad for Melbourne but not quite the 23,000 needed.

20,000 is superb. I have long argued that melbourne should schedule 2 home games rounds 1 and 2 before the AFL starts and blows everything else off the radar. This crowd which is a great crowd proves the point. That fixture would struggle to 14,000 after AFL kick off.

There is a place for a well run successful NRL side in Vic. but scheduling common sense would help.

yobbo84

Coach
Overall a good round for crowds, with only the Tigers v Dragons game really stopping a new record from being created.

nqboy

First Grade
Misanthrope said:
Newie's crowds were destined to falter. With the exception of a surprisingly strong 2006 season - it's been a fairly lean few years. Iconic players have left, mismanagement, the rise of the Jets, and the club sucking week in and week out - it's hurt the city's interest.

A good year will see the crowds back to where they once were.
I just can't se their next good year happening for a while and players like Johns are once in a generation.

Brutus

Referee
Great crowd in melb - the lower tier looked full with plenty of people on the second tier either sides. Augers well for the new stadium.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
20,000 is f*cking brilliant for Melbourne regardless of where it was played. I don't see why we should expect to be filling Telstra Dome tbh.

brooksy19

Bench
LeagueXIII said:
So 4 clubs merge and can only draw 15,000, please tell me again how successful mergers are.

Wests Tigers have been the highest drawing Sydney club for 2 years. Despite having 5 home grounds..

I expect a bit a boycott this year because fans are sick of being treated like sh*t, just so the club makes a few extra bucks by being lazy.. if the CEO and marketeting team worked harder the can still get that extra money and play the games at 2 venues (3 max).

5,5,2 split would be better, whilst the tradational grounds are upgraded. Hell Id even support a 8-4 split (C-Town 8 Leichhardt 4)

Timmah

Staff member
Then why did they manage to drag less than 20,000 into the SFS? Of all the weekend crowds, in terms of bums on seats, surely that game rates as the worst of the lot...

brooksy19

Bench
No question mate... I dunno about that one. I was there, dragged along some neutral supporters. I reckon the SCG/SFS fiasco and maybe Dragons fans sceptical of their teams chances under brown may of kept a few away.. still no excuse for not getting 25k.

Was simply refuting that clowns accusation that the merger hasn't been succesful. But you obvioulsy didn't bother to READ that, now did you.

Timmah

Staff member
I think being so ridiculously far from WS/Bal territory doesn't help either... it's the same reason the Soufs/Rorters game probably only got 29k on Friday.

brooksy19

Bench
It doesn't help.

I getting over travelling 1hr 1/2 eachway to the footy myself to be honest, foxtel is just so much cheaper and easier unfortunatly.

yobbo84

Coach
Timmah said:
I think being so ridiculously far from WS/Bal territory doesn't help either... it's the same reason the Soufs/Rorters game probably only got 29k on Friday.

From Balmain the SFS is 10 minutes down the Western Distributor and up Cleveland Street - it ain't that far.

Timmah

Staff member
What about Campbelltown though yobbo?

Would've been smarter to have it ANZ and the Souths game @ SFS. I know its the Rorters home ground but it would've filled the stadium completely IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts