What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurudave

Juniors
The Broncos crowd was very disapointing although somewhat perplexing. Was planning a broncos, lions, roar triple header this weekend but ended up not going last night due to work commitments and also my mate tried to buy tickets thursday night and all sections were sold out except the back rows in the top corners.

It was on that basis he decided we would all watch live on tv, but one has to wonder whats's going on when ticketek is saying all sections sold out yet clearly on tv that was definitely not the case.

Chook Norris

First Grade
It was? I live in Brisbane and the only time it rained today was for about 5min at around 12pm.

oh, well i heard from someone that it was raining during the day
plus i checked the weather forecast for Brisbane which did say "few showers"

Brutus

Referee
Less Friday night games please, more Sunday thanks.

Broncos v Titans - exactly 48,764 had it been played on a Sunday (god told me so)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Two absolutely fugging terrible crowds. There is NO reason, weather, apocalypse or otherwise, that should keep people away from a Broncos/Titans or Broncos/Cowboys match @ Suncorp. Very disappointing.

As for Cronulla, someone summed it up above, Shire morons are too worried about getting on the piss at the Sting bar.

And what do you expect when you pit two teams against each other who are really quite woeful at drawing a crowd?

Timmah

Staff member
Less Friday night games please, more Sunday thanks.

Broncos v Titans - exactly 48,764 had it been played on a Sunday (god told me so)

Funny that, both games at Suncorp last year were Friday nights, with crowds of 48,621 and 47,686.

Piss poor effort tbh.

(Exact crowd was 39,757 for those wondering)

Brutus

Referee
Two absolutely fugging terrible crowds. There is NO reason, weather, apocalypse or otherwise, that should keep people away from a Broncos/Titans or Broncos/Cowboys match @ Suncorp. Very disappointing.

As for Cronulla, someone summed it up above, Shire morons are too worried about getting on the piss at the Sting bar.

And what do you expect when you pit two teams against each other who are really quite woeful at drawing a crowd?

No excuse for the Cronulla crowd. Terrible, pathetic, preposterous...call it what you like.

We know Shire people can do better, we've seen it in the past. It wasn't that (a few years maybe) long ago a Roosters v Sharks game went close to packing Shark Park out.

Something is drastically wrong.

The NRL has promoted these rounds as the "glory bound rounds". Unfortunately the crowds aren't sharing in that glory.

Timmah

Staff member
Nor are the teams going by last night's snoozefest. The part I've seen of that game were truly terrible. What was with Ogre's attempts at catching? :lol:

Brutus

Referee
40,000 for RL in Brisbane this weekend

How many will attend in Sydney? You'd like to think at least 70,000, but I have my doubts.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors

Try form.

I was expecting about 42-45k so 40s a bit disappointing, still 2nd highest crowd for the year though (highest was brissy v cowboys - 50k)

fanatique

Juniors
thats the only bit that made sense.

AFL is dire mate, if you enjoy it, my comiserations

As a matter of fact DM I have never ever been to an AFL game and have never sat though a whole game on TV. NEVER. I couldn't be bothered. I am not a Swans fan and don't want them to win.

I simply find your suggestion that we dominate them on ratings silly when in fact they are comfortably ahead nationwide as OZTAM figures reveal.

More Australians support AFL than NRL and you are just wrongheaded to deny it. Personally I care less. I mean more people support baseball than ice hockey in North America but I doubt montral hockey fans care.

however facts are facts mate and the objective stats show them comfortably rating higher and no pay per view and regionals do NOT bridge the gap.

Timmah

Staff member
40,000 for RL in Brisbane this weekend

How many will attend in Sydney? You'd like to think at least 70,000, but I have my doubts.

10,000 last night, 25,000-ish tonight, (are we counting Newcastle as NSW??), around 16-17,000 as well at EAS, Souths v Canberra should draw close to 20k after Souths' win and Canberra's good form. Dragons v Warriors should be a cracker... up to about 13-14k there if weather improves. Monday Penrith v Storm with the ticket cuts should hopefully yield around 11-12...

That's about 93k. And I'm being optimistic.

Factor in that 39,757 and we have a nice comfy 132 which is a massive improvement on previous rounds.

Ice777

Bench
I'm not too bothered by the Brisbane crowd, 5K more would've been nice but overall i don't think it was too bad. Not to mention it still managed nearly 40K which will yet again help bump up the rounds crowd averages.

Toyota Park on the other hand, no matter what way you look at it it was piss poor. Two Sydney sides in the top 4 should be pushing at least 20K at the business end of the year. To only get half of that is nothing short of pathetic.

Brutus

Referee
10,000 last night, 25,000-ish tonight, (are we counting Newcastle as NSW??), around 16-17,000 as well at EAS, Souths v Canberra should draw close to 20k after Souths' win and Canberra's good form. Dragons v Warriors should be a cracker... up to about 13-14k there if weather improves. Monday Penrith v Storm with the ticket cuts should hopefully yield around 11-12...

That's about 93k. And I'm being optimistic.

Factor in that 39,757 and we have a nice comfy 132 which is a massive improvement on previous rounds.

Well I hope you're right Timmah.

I was looking at comparing Sydney v Brisbane though.

Timmah

Staff member
Yep, 93k v 39k.

I often wonder how many fans Brisbane/QLD would bring through if there were 9 NRL teams there.

Brutus

Referee
Roosters v Sharks 10k
Double header 25k
Raiders v Rabbitohs 12k
Panthers v Storm 9k

For five games to be played in Sydney this weekend my guestimate amounts to 56k

56k Sydney (5 games)
39-40k Brisbane (1 game)

Shall be interesting to see what eventuates. Let's hope Timmah is closer to the mark.

BWNB

First Grade
Poor form from the Sharks fans that didn't turn up last night, the weather cleared up, it wasn't that cold and it was a top four clash. What more do you want, the ones that did turn up are the same ones that turn up each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts