What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Anyone have a breakdown of crowd averages for Sat night etc in Sydney? For example Penrith crowds on a Sat night are ordinary, Sunday afternoon they are good. Same with Cronulla.

Quite simply too many night games that are live on TV, rather than people getting into the habit of going to the football they are in the habit of watching on TV.

Sad thing is the NRL are probably happy with this, though they woulkdn't say it out aloud.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Bottom line is with the Double Header that neither game would've got 27,564 through the gate. Bulldogs v Parra would've been lucky to crack 11-12k, Tigers Manly might've got 15-16.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
Was anyone else thinking that they should've given 30,000 free tix to a bunch of schools to hopefully get some revenue from food sales?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
What a sh*tt crowd last night? It either proves that Sydney ppl dont like ANZ, or just dont like Sat night football. I dunno.

I just hope though the NRL doesnt take way double headers for a while. I mean a decent double header would be a western derby.

Wests Tigers/Bulldogs
Parramatta/Penrith

visa versa.

or even throw the Dragons in they'll get good numbers.

Timmah

Staff member
What a sh*tt crowd last night? It either proves that Sydney ppl dont like ANZ, or just dont like Sat night football. I dunno.

I just hope though the NRL doesnt take way double headers for a while. I mean a decent double header would be a western derby.

Wests Tigers/Bulldogs
Parramatta/Penrith

visa versa.

For RL, 27k isn't a sh*t crowd. And Parra/Dogs is usually a pretty good drawcard, as is anything involving Wests.

Timmah

Staff member
10,013 @ Toyota
39,757 @ Suncorp
27,564 @ ANZ (DH)
10,323 @ EAS
10,128 @ ANZ
11,583 @ WIN

109,368 total (18,228 average) with Penrith/Storm @ CUA remaining. Comfortable but not spectacular :(

I'm counting the DH as one game, not two.

Knight87

Juniors

Wests Tigers/Bulldogs
Parramatta/Penrith

visa versa.

Maybe they should try to do Double Headers on a Sunday afternoon like today. If they had Wests Tigers/Manly and Bulldogs/Parramatta matches today, they would've got a lot more than 28,000 people.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It doesn't really matter that the DH drew only 27K, I'm sure the players loved playing in front of a crowd that's almost double their average and the fans enjoyed being part of a bigger crowd too. It's win-win and if they keep it up it'll become more popular and will grow. They really need to stick with it for a few more years (and maybe make a few scheduling changes along the way).

yakstorm

First Grade
The problem with holding it on Friday is that it would be too late for families to turn up to.

It would be great if they hold a double header next year, they kick off the first game on Saturday at like 3:30 and the second at 5:30. Whilst Saturday afternoon football wasn't the most popular in the past, having a one off I'm sure would make the day a lot more popular with getting families there.

Timmah

Staff member
One thing I was thinking of is the ridiculous "rolling scheduling" they've done the last few years.

If they insist on not scheduling the season ahead of time (as the three other football codes seem to be fully capable of), then why not make a big deal and a big news story of each round release to make the public aware of the draw? The more they hear about advanced scheduling, the more likely they are to go. Promotion doesn't have to be confined to the 6 days before a match.

27k was a good result, more than I expected and as L4P said much better than seeing 12 or 13k there. Let's hope they persist.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Put the double header on a Sunday afternoon at the SFS

Manly v Tigers
Roosters v Roosters

It would almost sell out the joint...

Apey

Staff member
10,013 @ Toyota
39,757 @ Suncorp
27,564 @ ANZ (DH)
10,323 @ EAS
10,128 @ ANZ
11,583 @ WIN

109,368 total (18,228 average) with Penrith/Storm @ CUA remaining. Comfortable but not spectacular :(

I'm counting the DH as one game, not two.

Yep Newy was certainly a let down this weekend. Even though I can understand the reasons why it was low, it shouldn't have been that low. Next week is supposed to be a big one, but with the Saturday night time slot and now Buderus not actually playing, who knows.

Brutus

Referee
Very disappointing weekend of crowds.

Shark Park, EAS, Souths and even the double header and WIN Stadium were all poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.