What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

JW

Coach
Lowdown said:
People may come out and show it's higher than the game last year or in 2003 or whatever

And that's exactly how it should be viewed. As an improvement.

The use of this garbage logic about how Sydney crowds should now immediately lift to unrealistic standards overnight because a few people feel its trendy to have a whinge about it is becoming very tiresome.

It's the same situation with the Broncos when people have a dig at our average crowds of 35,000-odd, feeling we should be selling out the joint every week. It's geniused logic, it ignores history, reality, and the fact that we've enjoyed 6 straight seasons of increases from a base of 19-20,000. And its still going up.

The knockers hate hearing it, but Sydney's NRL crowds overall are enjoying record levels of attendance with more consistancey than ever before. Most notably, the base is lifting quite a bit ie. sub-10,000 crowds are becoming things of the past. Not that long ago they were common place each and every round.

The crowds are heading in the right direction and that's all any reasonable person can ask for.

I wonder if the whingers thought crowd-bashing was as trendy back in the alleged "golden era" for the game's popularity in the early 90's, where round averages usually sat on 10K and more than a few individual crowds sunk to 4,000 or less?

Follow the link below, have a look at some of the seasons past and notice just how many Sydney crowds were attracting 4-figure attendances on a weekly basis. Then look at this season.

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/seas/season_idx.html
http://stats.rleague.com/rl/seas/2008.html

The crowds are the best they've been. Is there room for more improvement? Of course - absolutely sh*tloads of it. But its not going to happen overnight.

nqboy

First Grade
Parra looked better than that. The small capacity is a problem. Even with it as full as it was, it's still only 16K

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Regardless of how Sydney's crowd was crap last night we're on an average of 19,000 after two games, that's not too bad.

Ice777

Bench
The use of this garbage logic about how Sydney crowds should now immediately lift to unrealistic standards overnight because a few people feel its trendy to have a whinge about it is becoming very tiresome.

I'm not talking crowds overall, i'm talking about this game in particular. Can you honestly say that expecting at least 20K for two of the bigger Sydney clubs on what was a great night weather wise is setting an "unrealistic standard?" Surely not? If you do then i don't think it's others setting their standards too high, it's you setting them too low.

JW

Coach
Ice, how often do Sydney crowds get "at least 20K", regardless of which clubs are playing and in a suburban ground?

This is what i'm talking about, people are ignoring the reality of it. Sydney just doesn't draw these crowds people are asking for apart from the odd occassion or rare highly promoted big game/derby.

All we can hope for is gradual improvement and to be honest, given the hit crowds usually take during pre and post Origin weekends, 16K at Parra isn't really that bad. In addition, I have my doubts whether it would've been any better at any other time of the season.

Timmah

Staff member
These two clubs have drawn 24,000 to the SFS twice in the last ten years, but outside that the crowds have been far worse than last night:

R16, 2005 @ S.F.S. 14,885

R12, 2006 @ Parramatta 13,044
R24, 2006 @ S.F.S. 15,142

R08, 2007 @ Parramatta 13,021
R15, 2007 @ S.F.S. 12,211

Given recent crowd history between the clubs, 16k is a solid, good result.

Eelectrica

Referee
I thought their would have been more people last night at the Titants TBH. Maybe the dogs injury toll kept some people away.

nqboy

First Grade
There looked to be plenty of empty seats, didn't there? Maybe if the Dogs were going better, they had plenty of support on the GC in the matches they played there before the Titans were admitted.

Timmah

Staff member
There looked to be plenty of empty seats, didn't there? Maybe if the Dogs were going better, they had plenty of support on the GC in the matches they played there before the Titans were admitted.
As I said earlier,
You are aware that the Coast's jersey and merchandising colours blend in with the seats? Looked like a great crowd to me.
The same issue came up after Round 1 and has been mentioned a few times since, R1 didn't look full yet the crowd was posted as 26,700 - a lot of it comes down to the fact that some seats look empty because the people in them are the same colour as those seats...

nqboy

First Grade
No, the seats I am talking about were empty. Your point is noted but had already been considered and discounted.

Eelectrica

Referee
I've seen the ends of the stadium fuller. I think the high ticket prices and the expectation from a lot of people the dogs were going to get smashed would have kept Bulldogs supporters away who might otherwise have gone.

That said there were plenty of Bulldogs supporters out there, so well done to those who did go.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
I thought their would have been more people last night at the Titants TBH. Maybe the dogs injury toll kept some people away.

The dogs aren't a big drawcard anymore, it was only a few years ago that brissy-dogs was a massive match with 50,000 people turning up but their huge loss of players makes them about as much of a drawcard as cronulla.

Timmah

Staff member
You'll find the 'Dogs game at Suncorp later in the year will still bring 40k+ through the gates.

Bookmark this one please.

Teddyboy

First Grade
And that's exactly how it should be viewed. As an improvement.

It's the same situation with the Broncos when people have a dig at our average crowds of 35,000-odd, feeling we should be selling out the joint every week. It's geniused logic, it ignores history, reality, and the fact that we've enjoyed 6 straight seasons of increases from a base of 19-20,000. And its still going up.

The knockers hate hearing it, but Sydney's NRL crowds overall are enjoying record levels of attendance with more consistancey than ever before. Most notably, the base is lifting quite a bit ie. sub-10,000 crowds are becoming things of the past. Not that long ago they were common place each and every round.

The crowds are heading in the right direction and that's all any reasonable person can ask for.

I wonder if the whingers thought crowd-bashing was as trendy back in the alleged "golden era" for the game's popularity in the early 90's, where round averages usually sat on 10K and more than a few individual crowds sunk to 4,000 or less?

Follow the link below, have a look at some of the seasons past and notice just how many Sydney crowds were attracting 4-figure attendances on a weekly basis. Then look at this season.

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/seas/season_idx.html
http://stats.rleague.com/rl/seas/2008.html

The crowds are the best they've been. Is there room for more improvement? Of course - absolutely sh*tloads of it. But its not going to happen overnight.

You are so right since 2003 till now i think the NRL crowds have been the best ever and we are living in a golden era and yet we have rival codes like AFL,Union and Soccer fighting for crowd support in Sydney.
League just doesn't get enough praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.