What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWNB

First Grade
we haven't drawn 6k at one of the best stadiums in the country for rugby league...in fact you'd have to go back probably to the early 2000's to find a time where we have drawn 6k to a game...

There weren't to many more than 6k there last night!

Knight87

Juniors
we haven't drawn 6k at one of the best stadiums in the country for rugby league...in fact you'd have to go back probably to the early 2000's to find a time where we have drawn 6k to a game...

Correct. Infact, last time the Bulldogs drew below 10,000 to a home match at Stadium Australia/Telstra Stadium/ANZ Stadium was on 8/4/2000 vs Warriors (18-all draw). Crowd that day was 7,132 (ANZ Stadium then had a capacity of 110,000).

Last time the Bulldogs drew approx 6,000 to a home game was 19/3/2000 vs North Queensland (Cowboys won 18-8). Crowd was 6,572

Last time Bulldogs drew approx 6,000 to any home game was at the Sydney Showground on 22/6/2002 vs Canberra (not long before the salary cap scandal was exposed). Crowd that day was 6,211.

flamin

Juniors
The average is still up above 2005's so far but there are way to many teams this year with mediocre averages - averages that will only get worse as the season goes on until we're about 6 weeks out from the finals. In 2005 only 4 teams had averages below 14k. This year it's 7 - almost half the comp.

DINGb@T

Juniors
Just thought I would share some graphs with you that I've been putting together. Round-by-round-comparison.gif

The first (round by round comparison) is a running round by round comparison of every season since 2003 and what the round average was. Plenty of people say that the average drops around Origin time so I figured I'd graph them to see by how much but the graph shows a few other interesting things.

First up the season does follow a fairly strong seasonal pattern with a big open to the season, followed by 6 or 7 very strong rounds before the round averages start to fall off. They then range from about 12 to 17 thousand a round before picking up around round 20 for a big finish to the season in the build up to the finals. None of this is really surprising but for the fact that, except for a few exceptions, the season does tend to react fairly consistently regardless of who is playing who, especially in more recent seasons.

But the exceptions...

1. Perhaps the most interesting figure is how close the various opening rounds are. With the season average generally moving upwards the opening rounds have been practically the same since 2004. It's a bizarre pattern and will be interesting to see if it continues.

2. As the graph shows, a round average of 12,000 is a significant minimum for the game. Anything below this you could probably classify as a 'disappointing round'. It happened 3 times last year but 2 of those were the rained-out rounds of 13 and 14, while I cant remember what was going on in the same rounds of 2006. Those results seem to be a bit of a coincidence that makes the mid season collapse look a fair bit worse than it really is and, with a bit of luck, we shouldn't have to worry about them this year however we almost skirted the sub 12,000s last round with all the 'collapsing clubs' bad publicity so maybe the poor crowds could be seen as a normal cycle, not the death of rugby league as we know it (although if the media keeps scaring people away it may be a self fulfilling prophecy).

3. Round 7 was an extraordinary mid-season round this year with nothing coming close to it in the last 5 years. This from the game that is dying! With results like this to bolster the bottom line, this year only needs to avoid the bad weather to give the 2005 record a good shake.

4. The later seasons are more consistent than 2003/4. If you take those two seasons out the trend (except for rounds 13 and 14) become a lot clearer, especially over the last few rounds of the season. I think that bodes well for clubs as it suggests a much greater consistency and stability that is developing in crowd attendances and that more regulars showing up to games more consistently.

5. 2005 was an extraordinary year with consistent results across the board. For a better look there's my next graph.....

The other graph (running average) plots the running season average as it changes over the season. This graph is interesting as it shows how the yearly average is affected by the mid season leveling out of crowd averages as well as showing just how much improvement is being seen year on year in the NRL.
Running-average.gif
It also better illustrates just how consistent 2005 was with the big drops of round 13 and 14 knocking 2006 and 2007 out of the race for the record fairly early in the season.

Another interesting thing is the effect of this years round 7- the average actually went up in mid-season! Unfortunately though the rounds following it were quite poor with last round seeing us drop below 2005's trend. Hopefully with some good weather and some more block buster rounds we can see it level off healthily and then pick up come round 18/19 like it has done in previous years so we can give that record a shake.

Hopefully the files can be seen clearly (if not, please help :) ) and give some interesting viewing for the crowd watchers among us.

Credit has to go to Timmah for the figures for this years averages (straight from this thread), as well as the crowd figures I got from *Paul*'s spreadsheet linked on 'Crowd Watch 2007' thread.

JW

Coach
Well according to that second graph we're still nicely placed for the year ahead, sitting neck and neck with the record breaking 2005. Good post Ding, keep us updated.

Looking at the short term though, I have a feeling we're in for a couple of so-so turnouts tonight - Sub 30K in Brisbane and (maybe less likely) sub 10K in the captial. As always, I hope i'm way off the mark.

JW

Coach
As predicted, the crowds ordinary. Been a weird run of poor crowds against Parra this decade.

flamin

Juniors
DINGb@t said:
attachment.php

It also better illustrates just how consistent 2005 was with the big drops of round 13 and 14 knocking 2006 and 2007 out of the race for the record fairly early in the season.

Another interesting thing is the effect of this years round 7- the average actually went up in mid-season! Unfortunately though the rounds following it were quite poor with last round seeing us drop below 2005's trend. Hopefully with some good weather and some more block buster rounds we can see it level off healthily and then pick up come round 18/19 like it has done in previous years so we can give that record a shake.

Looking at that it shows that the next few rounds are vital for the success of crowds this year.

Last edited:

mark123

Juniors
Looking at that it shows that the next few rounds are vital for the success of crowds this year.

what this illustrates for me more than anything is that the season is simply too long for people to maintain high interest.

It would be like the world cup finals going for 5 times the length: what would be the point?

But no, we are a comp ruled purely by tv needs, not fan or game needs, and this needs to be balanced. A max comp length of 22 rounds or even 20 rounds would see better atmosphere at all games in the form of crowd averages, thus driving up the appeal of league somewhat markedly. Fans would not be losing interest, and the game would come across as more exciting.

IN the past 5 years I have found myself switching off more and more as the regular season gets into the final month or so. The league season is too long, the players feel too strained to make it through and its shortening their career-span.

I just think that if the game cannot make the money it needs to survive off of 20-22 rounds, with state of origin and internationals thrown in, then what on earth is happening? Its a "fake" situation, in that the tv company is keeping the comp going for its own benefit, when everyone is tired of playing so many games, is fatigued from a gruelling season, and fans have been worn out as well.

What is the point of such a competition for players and fans? Never mind tv, that is derived from the players and fans....so why are we letting it be the other way and having players and fans derived from tv???

Its messed up, and it needs to be changed. Apart from the above listed benefits, this would also serve to balance each of the games "levels", club state and national more evenly. Because at the moment, tests are taking a back seat, and origins and clubs are smudged somewhat by having club games immediately before and after origin.

Last edited:

mark123

Juniors
particularly dissapointing.

It was however raining very heavily for the past 2 days, and all of today.

People can be forgiven for staying away, though I bet they all regret it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts