What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

JW

Coach
There seems to be resistance at 25K for Broncos/Eels games at the new Lang Park. It's been uncanny.

2008 - 25,656
2007 - 25,702
2006 - 25,525
2005 - 25,843
2004 - 23,550
2003 - 26,340

McCrud

Juniors
There seems to be resistance at 25K for Broncos/Eels games at the new Lang Park. It's been uncanny.

2008 - 25,656
2007 - 25,702
2006 - 25,525
2005 - 25,843
2004 - 23,550
2003 - 26,340

Bingo - since the move to Suncorp the Parra v Broncos fixtures have been pretty mediocre. Considering the weather conditions of the past few days the Broncos crowd average dodged a bit of a bullet.

bazza

Immortal
what this illustrates for me more than anything is that the season is simply too long for people to maintain high interest.

I just think that if the game cannot make the money it needs to survive off of 20-22 rounds, with state of origin and internationals thrown in, then what on earth is happening? Its a "fake" situation, in that the tv company is keeping the comp going for its own benefit, when everyone is tired of playing so many games, is fatigued from a gruelling season, and fans have been worn out as well.

I tend to agree with that.
I think 22 rounds with split rounds around origin time and test matches would give the season length the same (25-26 weeks) but 2 less games for players, more rest weeks and only 1 less home game for clubs.

Having split rounds around origin would still give 4 games per week on TV (maybe a good chance to show some lower division games on Fox) and this is the time for low crowds/bad weather so it limits any affects that origin and weather might have

mark123

Juniors
i think it had much to do with the brian smith saga fizzling....including the fact that smith used spoiling tactics to beat us a couple of times and making a very boring match in the process,

plus parra constant choking and their generally average team.

parra are the fizzers of briabane, and they dont pique my interest when they come here

that being so, tonights game was one of the best in living memory. So in future the results of the past in terms of crowds may change.

Red Bear

Referee
i think it had much to do with the brian smith saga fizzling....including the fact that smith used spoiling tactics to beat us a couple of times and making a very boring match in the process,

plus parra constant choking and their generally average team.

parra are the fizzers of briabane, and they dont pique my interest when they come here

that being so, tonights game was one of the best in living memory. So in future the results of the past in terms of crowds may change.
If a sydney fan mad similar excuses they would be shot down in flames by you and by many north of the border.

Brutus

Referee
It's weird when you consider Parra used to be good drawers in Brisbane.

They were the first team to ever sell-out the old Lang Park in 1989 when 33,000 plus turned up and 10,000 were turned away. The Broncos' biggest home crowd in their first year (1988) was also against Parra (23k). Of course 51k plus for the opening of ANZ Stadium in 1993 as well (worst game ever - it was won by Parra 12-8 or something). Maybe particular match turned Brisbane off Parra.

Those good Parra crowds in the early years of the Broncos probably came about due to the fact Parra's "golden era" was still fresh in Brissy people's minds.

Last edited:

Chook Norris

First Grade
particularly dissapointing.

It was however raining very heavily for the past 2 days, and all of today.

People can be forgiven for staying away, though I bet they all regret it now.

ah that explains it

i was hoping that at least 30k would turn up

Serc

First Grade
A pretty good effort at Suncorp given the weather forecast has had 'rain periods' in it since early in the week and severe weather warnings flying around since Thurs - on top of the recent crowd history for Parra games! I reckon they could've cracked 35k with fine weather and really bucked the trend of recent years.

gho

Juniors
Parra has only had bad publicity recently with their calls for cutting the cap and with Sydney league on its death throes. Along with the rain it would have turned people off, parra aren't the best side in the world. People would have been spewing they didn't go after they watched the match on tv though,

mark123

Juniors
plus with all the talk about the financial crisis happening and all the goings on to do with it and surrounding it, maybe ticket sales hit a bit of a ho-hum period.

rain had plenty to do with it though

Hindyscrack

Bench
It's weird when you consider Parra used to be good drawers in Brisbane.

They were the first team to ever sell-out the old Lang Park in 1989 when 33,000 plus turned up and 10,000 were turned away. The Broncos' biggest home crowd in their first year (1988) was also against Parra (23k). Of course 51k plus for the opening of ANZ Stadium in 1993 as well (worst game ever - it was won by Parra 12-8 or something). Maybe particular match turned Brisbane off Parra.

Those good Parra crowds in the early years of the Broncos probably came about due to the fact Parra's "golden era" was still fresh in Brissy people's minds.

Also went to a game in 99 that had about 50k at ANZ for eels v broncos, somehow dropped off at the turn of the decade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts