What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-ba

Post Whore
It's pragmatism. If you had any idea about the inner workings of the club (You don't, btw) you'd know it's been seriously considered along with the Sunshine Coast Move. It's just a matter of winning over the Northern Beaches public to the idea. And that's going to take a while.

t-ba

Post Whore
A joke?

Brookie is so close to being deemed dangerous by OHS standards, we will have no choice.

Like I said, Sunshine and Lollipops.

Notice how he ignores the post where I discuss how the NRL had no problem with us considering moving to the Gold Coast back in 2002...

Perth Red

Post Whore
that you dont have an nrl club now is your own fault. sucked in.

and if melbourne need a new stadium to grow their crowds, then the same can be said of sydney clubs as they upgrade their grounds

Funny I don't remember being consulted on wether we should stick with the financial mess of teh ARL or sign up for the money grabbing SL?

You really don't want that sore to heal do you? keep picking at the scab and living in the past dally, it makes all the mistakes of today seem so much easier to deal with!

Dutchy

Immortal
thats what the current money if for, to make the ground compliant with those guidelines and build a small gs on the hill.

Which will get us what?

Maybe a safe driveway and non leaking toilet blocks. Wont make us compliant with all the OHS guidelines or a grandstand. Its pocket money compared to what we need.

It's pragmatism. If you had any idea about the inner workings of the club (You don't, btw) you'd know it's been seriously considered along with the Sunshine Coast Move. It's just a matter of winning over the Northern Beaches public to the idea. And that's going to take a while.

so youve sat in on board meetings eh?

so they are getting $20 million now to just keep brookie going until the fans accept the SFS as a better move.

why not just not get any money at all and tell people its the sfs or queensland.

ta, but that kind of scenario is more akin to the X Files

maybe newcastle are only getting EAS done in bits to get their crowds ready for a move to gosford.

c_eagle

Juniors
Open a map and draw a straight line from Brookvale to Moore Park and see how bloody close the two are. That straight line may well happen one day in the future.

Which will get us what?

Maybe a safe driveway and non leaking toilet blocks. Wont make us compliant with all the OHS guidelines or a grandstand. Its pocket money compared to what we need.

so youve costed it have you?

whats your estimate of those costs?

t-ba

Post Whore
Please stop. JS knows this, and so does any Manly fan interested in the inner workings of the club.

The club needs to keep Brookvale viable for as long as possible before the move to the SFS. Making it compliant buys the club time. The ground needs at least $50m after this mooted $20m to having a ground that will work long term. THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. It will be easier to sell the move in a decade or two than it is now.

t-ba

Post Whore
Open a map and draw a straight line from Brookvale to Moore Park and see how bloody close the two are. That straight line may well happen one day in the future.

It's less than 10km as the Crow flies. A tunnel to the city is actually more cost effective than trying to do anything iThrough the Lower North Shore, that's for certain.

Dally Knows everything, from 3rd Division European Rugby Union to the financial fortunes of AFL teams in the Ovens and Murray league however. Don't question him.

Teddyboy

First Grade
The Northern Beaches deserve a Rugby team.The good thing about Manly is it always looks busy even with 13000 there,unlike places like Parramatta and Penrith.
It's funny but when a Sydney Rugby League team gets an upgrade they seem to get less fans coming ala Parramatta,Penrith,Cronulla,St.George.

Brutus

Referee
19,409 on the Gold Coast tonight.

Very good crowd considering all the players missing and the weather

glockers

Juniors
It's a medium term band-aid. Anyone with half a brain can figure that out. As clubs like Parramatta, Wests, Canterbury, Souths and Easts consistently average 20k over a season in modern venues, Manly will have to move with the times or risk becoming a dead relic. That move will either involve a centralised venue or the Sunshine Coast.

Long term, unless a 35k seat stadium is built on the Northern Beaches, we are moving. Long term, the infrastructure to the Northern Beaches will improve, which will allow for the club to eventually move to a more central location. Give it an election or two and the entire region will fall to independents at both State and Federal Level, which will mean severe pork barrelling from a Coalition desperate to get it back and a Labor party convinced they can steal a Liberal heartland.

This is a realistic assessment of the situation. $20m is enough for a decade or two but we are absolutely farked in the long run.

I really like the thinking here, apart from a Manly team being based in the Eastern suburbs. Seems like a hard concept to sell. But I will admit there is the factor of the Waratahs drawing their crowds from the same area of Sydney, so people from that area do go into the city for games.

That said is the SFS the most likely option? Is the Sunshine Coast move more likely?

After moving up to Queensland 18 months ago I am convinced the future of the competition is shifting 2 or 3 teams from Sydney and expanding into Logan and the Sunny Coast.

Personally I would love to see the Dragons base themselves out of Win Stadium (but at the moment the crowds aren't great down there) and have Souths move up to the central coast. That removes two teams from the Sydney basin.

Both those clubs already have links there.

I don't know if moving Manly is the best move, but I love the idea of shifting a team to the Sunny Coast. I am afraid though a new local identity would attract more fans though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looking at what $9mill bought Cronulla, $20mill isn't close to solving any of the immediate probelms of Brookvale. They are drawing plans for a new main stand at MES (similiar to what Brookie needs) and it is costing $45mill.

GC showed tonight why a modern stadia is so important, even with all the things going against them they still drew over 19,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts