What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_eagle

Juniors
Remember when Friday night games meant something? They were events once. Manly had their first Friday night game at Brookvale for years in 2006 and got over 20k against Canterbury in the coldest, wettest night I can remember. If we play two games on a Friday, it just desensitises the whole concept. The NFL do it brilliantly with Monday night football.

Now it's just another game.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Remember when Friday night games meant something? They were events once. Manly had their first Friday night game at Brookvale for years in 2006 and got over 20k against Canterbury in the coldest, wettest night I can remember. If we play two games on a Friday, it just desensitises the whole concept. The NFL do it brilliantly with Monday night football.

Now it's just another game.

Yeah tonight we had only one Friday night game, worked out great.

I don't think anyone gives a sh*t about that, tonight was just a case of fickle fans. Both teams lost last weekend and the cold aswell.

pcpp

Juniors
I agree that there should only be one game on a Friday night.

Two games is overkill. I'd love to see games shown on FTA on a Saturday Night.

c_eagle

Juniors
Well tonight would be a prime example as it was one week where it was the only game on Friday night, dopey.
Wow, you're one of those remedial kids. It's about the reputation of Friday night football. Since there are two matches every week, teams play in them twice as often. (Simple probability, I'm sure you can pick it up)

Now, if you're getting more of something, you're less likely to think it's all that special. (That's the nature of scarcity, it's a basic economic principle)

The lesson is over today kids. I know you didn't quite get it last time but I hope you understand it this time around. If not, I can explain in it even more detail or possibly even draw you a diagram.

j5o6hn

Juniors
tonights crowd only adds to the pressure to shift Easts,send them to the CC,under 10000 the excuses should be good

eels_fan_01

Bench
Wow, you're one of those remedial kids. It's about the reputation of Friday night football. Since there are two matches every week, teams play in them twice as often. (Simple probability, I'm sure you can pick it up)

Now, if you're getting more of something, you're less likely to think it's all that special. (That's the nature of scarcity, it's a basic economic principle)

The lesson is over today kids. I know you didn't quite get it last time but I hope you understand it this time around. If not, I can explain in it even more detail or possibly even draw you a diagram.

Don't you understand tonight there was ONE friday night game?

Your whole arguement is that if there was one Friday night game it would be more special and attract a better crowd, tonight THERE WAS ONE FRIDAY NIGHT GAME AND IT GOT A sh*t CROWD!! Worse than with two Friday night games lately so your opinion is flawed.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's not about just tonight, dopey.

Christ some people are negative. This year seems to be the most depressing because the most cynical and narky posters have emerged to speak the doom of RL as we know it, compounding the media's already aggressive stance on all things anti-RL.

This year is set for another solid, near-record year on crowds and before 2003-4ish the crowd we see now had not been seen for a lengthy amount of time... ever.

This doomsaying is giving me the sh*ts. Crowds will upturn toward the end of the year and people will still whinge that it's not good enough... I'm sick of it. The Roosters got a sh*t crowd tonight, sure. But in retrospect it's a solid result given the averages around this time of year in previous seasons.

Christ some people are negative. This year seems to be the most depressing because the most cynical and narky posters have emerged to speak the doom of RL as we know it, compounding the media's already aggressive stance on all things anti-RL.

This year is set for another solid, near-record year on crowds and before 2003-4ish the crowd we see now had not been seen for a lengthy amount of time... ever.

This doomsaying is giving me the sh*ts. Crowds will upturn toward the end of the year and people will still whinge that it's not good enough... I'm sick of it. The Roosters got a sh*t crowd tonight, sure. But in retrospect it's a solid result given the averages around this time of year in previous seasons.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is sick to death of the negative, doom and gloom that goes on in these forums.

The needless concentration of negativity that seems to stalk Rugby league is one of our game's biggest problems.

It turns off sponsors and potential fans. This is not to say there aren't issues in the game but, FFS, lighten up people.

Roy Master wrote a great article on this doom and gloom a few weeks back... http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...-all-over-again/2008/05/30/1211654313577.html

c_eagle

Juniors
Don't you understand tonight there was ONE friday night game?

Your whole arguement is that if there was one Friday night game it would be more special and attract a better crowd, tonight THERE WAS ONE FRIDAY NIGHT GAME AND IT GOT A sh*t CROWD!! Worse than with two Friday night games lately so your opinion is flawed.
Omfg, how stupid are you?

It has nothing to do with how many Friday night games there were last night. It's about how many Friday night games there are in general. People don't care how many Friday matches there are on a particular night, they are just going to see their team. The point is, seeing as there are so many damn Friday night games, with every team gets just about double, it's just not a special occasion any more. It's just like any other game on any other night.

Do you understand yet or is there another language that you'd like this presented to you in?

Ffs, you have to be taking the piss, no one is this stupid.

c_eagle

Juniors

Timmah criticising other people for being narky. What day have we arrived at?

bobmar28

Bench
What pressure? There hasnt been pressure on Easts to re-locate.
Well there should be.
The problem we have here is too many teams in the one small geographical area. I'm talking all teams and codes. Swans, Waratahs, Roosters. Rabittohs all chasing fans in that inner city/eastern suburbs area.
It's time for merger, create a super club to take on the other codes.

Well there should be.
The problem we have here is too many teams in the one small geographical area. I'm talking all teams and codes. Swans, Waratahs, Roosters. Rabittohs all chasing fans in that inner city/eastern suburbs area.
It's time for merger, create a super club to take on the other codes.

Mergers where two clubs hate each other don't work, re: Norths/Manly, so we can't merge with Souths. Who else would be a logical fit? If we're as hated as is popularly believed, then what other city would want to adopt us as their team? If Souths are the pride of the league, then they should relocate because they are loved wherever they go and would be easily adopted by another city. But why get rid of one of the best and long standing rivalries of the game. The media and the fans love it. It's a credit to the game as is our rivalry with your club. Saints and Souths is another, they all put bums on seats and rate well, why dilute it?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is sick to death of the negative, doom and gloom that goes on in these forums.

The needless concentration of negativity that seems to stalk Rugby league is one of our game's biggest problems.

It turns off sponsors and potential fans. This is not to say there aren't issues in the game but, FFS, lighten up people.

Roy Master wrote a great article on this doom and gloom a few weeks back... http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...-all-over-again/2008/05/30/1211654313577.html

Name me another CEO of any sport or industry for that matter, that dribbles out so much doom and gloom. What sponsor would want to get involved with the NRL and fans get downcast about it all. It's almost sabotage from the very top.

Status
Not open for further replies.